I stick mostly to Hilton family properties, but tried out this Residence Inn on this trip. It was a pretty forgettable stay and made me realize that I need to just stick to Hilton (with Hyatt chain as the second option).
The best thing about this hotel was the outstanding location, if you have a car. Within 5min drive to Southcoast Plaza, Mitsuwa center (big Japanese shopping/dining complex), and many interesting places to eat at. Hotel's right off Bear St exit off Fwy-73, and you can get on 73, 55 or 405 freeway very easily from the hotel.
Parking's free and plentiful. Free internet worked adequately, if you connected via wire. Room's pretty well-insulated and you don't hear neighbors too much. The front desk staff was attentive and helpful.
Housekeeping is a disaster here. They must not have the habit of vacuuming about 1" of the carpet along the walls, and this was pretty evident by the amount of dust/hair particles that were present consistenly along the carpet edges in the entire room. Because we have an infant who crawls everywhere and then puts her hand in her mouth all the time, I had to spend a good amount of time cleaning all this mess... it was fairly disgusting. 1 out of our 3 days, the room was never made. The other two days, they came past 2.30pm. Couple of times when we needed something, the housekeeping would never come through so the front desk staff would have to serve us directly after a while. We also noticed that some of the shampoo bottles they'd leave were less than half empty, which made us wonder if they took half-used bottles from other guests and simply redistributed them to us.
Also if you're like us and take your shoes off indoors, I suggest you reconsider while you're staying here... or bring a pair of disposable slippers. After a couple hours of being in the room, your sock bottoms turn dark. Probably has something to do with this place being exterior-access... then again, I've stayed at Staybridge Suites with similar setup, and I didn't have this sort of issue with them.
One other annoyance was the type of guests staying here. I've stayed at Homewood Suites and Summerfield Suites in other parts of LA/OC, and I generally found that most of the guests were there either on business or on vacation. At this Residence Inn, there are guests smoking out and wondering around at all times of the day, including our neighboring room which always had their door open and seemed to have many different people coming and going at all hours of the day. High school age kids seemed to take over the basketball court for much of the afternoon (not even sure if they were staying there). People are using the court outside of the regulated court hours, and some are tossing balls into the bushes once they're done instead of returning the ball to the front desk. The gatehouse is in chaos all throughout the breakfast hours, and frankly I've never had to deal with so many other slobs in any hotel breakfast area. They have one computer for guest use in the lobby area, but I couldn't recall an instance where it was actually free. One night a couple of police cars came to deal with some situation... not sure what was going on. All in all, the ambiance here felt more like a subsidized housing complex than a 3-star hotel, at least during the time that we stayed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the beauty and charm of Orange County when you book a stay at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach. Our hotel in Costa Mesa offers easy access to a variety of popular attractions, including the luxurious South Coast Plaza shopping center, Orange County Fairgrounds, Orange Coast College, Disneyland(R) and an array of pristine Orange County beaches. We offer complimentary transportation to John Wayne Airport (SNA), which is less than 4 miles from our front doors. After a day of swimming, shopping or sightseeing, decompress in our brand new spacious suites featuring free Wi-Fi, full kitchens and distinct areas for working, sleeping, living and eating. Or take advantage of our well-equipped fitness center or heated outdoor swimming pool. Our Orange County beach hotel also offers a stylish meeting room for corporate and social gatherings of up to 40 guests. For a memorable stay in Costa Mesa that is as comfortable as it is convenient, book a stay at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach Hotel Costa Mesa
- Costa Mesa Residence Inn
- Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach CA - Orange County