WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Motel 6 Costa Mesa

Motel 6 Costa Mesa
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
“great place, close to the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great place to stay when you visit Costa Mesa and the beaches in the area ... really close to Hingway 1, the staff is nice, the rooms are clean ..smell a bit strange .... there are enough places to eat nearby, Denny's, Inn & Out Burger on walking distance .. the pool is clean ... prices are okay too .... :)

Room Tip: There is another Motel 6 really close, but allmost twice the money ... stick to this one !!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DiabloDesigns v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oakdale, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I got here to check in at 12:30am, after a long drive. I had to use the walk up window, stand outside and freeze. He charged my credit card for the whole stay which was over $100 than my confirmation email stated. He had to call someone while I froze for another 20 minutes and he came and told me he'd give me a refund of the difference. He gave me the keys, I went to the room, they didn't work. Went back to the office to a sign that said he went on brake be back in 15. I called him and luckily he answered. Swiped the keys and I went back to a room with two full beds, not what I reserved, and my nonsmoking room smelled a whole lot like a Vegas Casino. I called him to see where the king bed was and he said that's not what the reservation was for and I said yes it was and asked to move rooms, to which he responded they are sold out and I can talk to the manager in the morning. So we shall see how that goes.

• Stayed July 2013

Travelers are raving about these Costa Mesa hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Think of this as camping with indoor plumbing (and even that was kind of questionable). Rooms are all non-smoking and all are equipped with ashtrays to tell you that---no wonder they all smell like smoke. No coffee makers or hair dryers—just your basic bed, dresser and small tv. This place works if you’re looking for a cheap place to stay and are not planning to spend much time in your room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie W
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here for 3 days during the US Open of Surfing (huntington beach). The hotel is convenient enough to hop on 405 or side street to the beaches during traffic hours. A good option when you cant afford $200/night within a few blocks from the beach areas. Huntington beach was only 15-20min drive from the property.

Why Im giving this motel a 2star? because the rooms we reserved were NON-Smoking but despite of that, our rooms and bathrooms smelled like somebody was just there smoking! We asked to move to another non-smoking room but cigarette smell is there again. No, there's nothing wrong with my nose and i was with children that smelled the same thing. We have to deal with this smell for 4nights. The 2 star is for NOT cleaning the rooms properly and enforcing SMOKING policy.

This is NOT the first time we stayed at a motel 6 and this one is just below the "motel 6" standards (not other hotels) to give it a fair comparison.

Room Tip: pls check rooms and smell them before settling in. Even when the blower bathrooms are on, the smell...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank drgreenthumb2
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Never stayed in a Motel 6 before and this one didn't make me a fan. I understand that it is a budget motel but why on earth can they include refrigerators and microwaves but no coffee maker in the room? That wouldn't have been so bad but we were "late" getting to the coffee in the "lobby" -- and the front clerk chastised me for even asking about it (none available after 10 a.m.) I guess he was going to throw the remaining coffee out? I can handle budget. I can't handle rude. We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Orange County fairgrounds. It was close. But it wasn't the cleanest place and the rudeness was over the top.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for a room off the back as the motel is right on the freeway access ro...
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SESomers
Rialto, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed the night here before the Surf City Marathon. It was sufficient. Hot water, clean towels and a bed. No bells and whisles but we didn't pay for those.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmandaKininmonth
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

This is a low budget hotel. I was in town for wedding, and needed a place close by to crash for one night. Definitely served this purpose. Plus, the staff allowed my to check-in at 12 noon due to my schedule. Free parking. Wifi is $2.95 for 24 hours.

I would not have stayed here with my family. Although the rooms were clean and affordable, it's a bit sketchy. Think strip mall next to the freeway. It was loud, a bit smoky although i was in a non-smoking room, and the walls are paper thin.

You get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Mesa Inn
Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport
Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach

Been to Motel 6 Costa Mesa? Share your experiences!