“Used to be nice, but...”

Costa Mesa Marriott
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego
“Used to be nice, but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

For nearly a year, a friend and I would come at least once a month for a quiet getaway weekend to relax. Then, in February of this year, we came to the hotel and everything had changed. We were placed in one of the smaller end of the hall rooms after we had specifically asked not to be in one of those rooms. They moved us to a better room, but that isn't the point. We asked for extra towels, and were brought one that was coated with black, grimy stuff whose origin we didn't even want to contemplate. When we looked at the room service menu, we found that the prices had been raised considerably since the last time we had been there (a month previously). On the second day of our February stay, my friend got food poisoning after eating the hotel food. She did not have the symptoms of the flu, and the symptoms that she did have came on suddenly and were typical of food poisoning (She's in the medical field and ought to know.). We had eaten only hotel food, so that had to be the source of the food poisoning. The hotel refused to accept any responsibility for this situation, saying that nobody else had gotten sick and that proved that my friend didn't have food poisoning. This is not true. There can be an isolated incident of food if poisoning if a kitchen worker is infected say with staph, touches his or her face and then touches the food that is then served to a guest. Also, the condiments for our food, mayonnaise included, arrived in open cups that did not appear to have been refrigerated. Incidentally, our food tray that we put out in the hall after we finished eating was left there from approximately 7:30 PM in the evening until after 11 AM the next morning, AFTER we had informed the front desk that my friend had food poisoning. When we got home, we called Marriott Corporate, who seemed to care not a bit about what had happened. If the hotel had said that they would look into the incident and retrain all of their staff who handle food, we would have been happy to go back to this hotel. As things stand now, we won't be going back. My friend is still trying to get the charges for our stay removed from her credit card. So far, Marriott is not cooperating.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

Easily the best Marriot I have stayed in. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Initiative and a sense of humour, with a 'can do' attitude. The suites are a little smaller than those at the nearby Bayview Marriott, but the layout and decor is very similar. Clean and comfortable, with the feel of a cosy one bedroom apartment. The pool and jacuzzi area look over a lake and gardens, and it's only one block to the theatre district. South Coast Plaza is about 10 minutes walk, and there are a few restaurant and cafes nearby. I highly recommend this hotel if you need to stay in the area.

• Liked — Great staff, comfortable suite and quiet and safe location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank rossco747
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2008

I've stayed at other Marriotts in the area (Irvine, Bayview, Newport Coast) so I decided to give this one a try.

If you are traveling alone for business or pleasure, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It's very convenient to a mall, the highway, restaurants, and the airport. It has a shuttle to take you to/from the airport and other places within a short distance. The bar and buffet area are small, but still nice areas. The pool and hot tub area are very nice compared to similar class hotels.

The front desk staff and room service staff is friendly and accomodating. The woman that cleaned my room actually was friendly (which is rare).

The rooms themselves are ok for one person. I would recommend staying somewhere else if you are traveling with another person. The bedrooms fit the bed and give about two feet on all sides to the wall/doors. The bathroom is functional for one person. The living room area is practical, but I would have thought they could put a bigger TV (comes with a 20") in that area. They do provide a wet bar and mini-frig. If you're looking for a bigger suite property, I would recommend a Hilton property.

Now comes my usual tirade. Why do hotels charge for parking and internet. First of all, the connection was terrible and the hotel owns the parking structure. Bump up the room rate and provide the service for free. Don't try to park at any of the nearby businesses, they will tow.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Size of the bedroom
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony J
Reno, Nv.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2008

Have stayed at this property a number of time and it is way above average. Lots of restaurants, great shopping nearby at South Coast Mall, and grand arts are just around the corner.

• Liked — l;ocation, location, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

My wife and I decided to stay there for two days around Christmas. We used Marriott Points for one night and got a really good deal on the second night. My wife had been there previously for business. Given that this is a business hotel, it was completely empty on the weekend. It was quiet and centrally located between OC and south OC.

There is some construction now, but I think the only really effect is making only one elevator available, causing a long wait for the elevator.

The room was not high end, but simply comfortable. The bath products were top notch and the bed was very comfortable. Some may think the decor dated, but this is a business hotel, not a resort and it is priced accordingly.

From driving around OC to 5 family functions in 3 days, it was nice to go back to a slient hotel for a home base, rather than sleep on a family's living room floor. It was freeway close and easy to get to.

We didn't need the TV or breakfast, as we went down the street to a local Breakfast Cafe. So we cannot comment on that. We had a nice view of the pool and a pond across the way. We heard an occasional Harley or import racer off in the distance, but you can't get away from that anywhere in OC.

Parking was $15 a day, but we were ready for that. We also didn't need internet so didn't pay for that. On my checkout, they attempted to charge me the internet rate, rather than what the Marriott Reservations representative quoted me, but I corrected them and they quickly corrected my bill without a hassle.

Bottom line: This is exactly what we expected from a business hotel and exactly what we needed.

• Liked — Quiet and comfortable, centrally located
  • Disliked — Long wait for the elevator
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Derek L
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2007

Our family of four stayed here for two nights and had a very pleasant time.

The hotel is in a great location: right off the freeway, but out of earshot and out of sight from the freeway; within easy walking distance of the Orange County performing arts center and South Coast Plaza mall; and across the street from a well-run Romano's Macaroni Grill restaurant (yum!).

The hotel itself was clean and well-kept. The outdoor pool was toasty warm, a definite plus on a chilly winter morning. The fitness center had brand-new treadmills... very nice! There's a hotel restaurant that looks decent, though we never tried it (we bring our own breakfast and eat in our room).

Our room was a suite (I guess they're all suites?), so we parents could have a separate room from the kids. My wife particularly enjoyed being able to angle the TV such that she could watch it while lying in the bathtub.

We'd definitely stay at this hotel again should the need arise, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a friend.

Note: parking is $15/day. That's a little lame, but eh, just think of the room rate as being $15 more.

Our room was $109/night, quite reasonable and good value, I think.

• Stayed December 2007
2 Thank flipper314
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2007

Like most everything else in Orange County the Costa Mesa Marriot Suites is beautiful on the surface, but a little squishy and stinky at the core.

In fairness, I suppose all hotels at this price level have similar issues however little sense they make. What I am talking about are the nutty charges for all the little things one gets for free at a much cheaper place. Thirteen dollars for one day of high-speed internet. That comes free in most $40.00 hotel rooms. The internet comes packaged with a phone plan and now one wil budge to accomadate you should you need only some of the services.

The bed was nothing special and neither was the overpriced resturant. Oh, and did I mention $15 a day to park in there parking structure than hike back.

In my humble opinion your money would be best spent on somewhere nice with free amenites and use the extra money to stay out an extra day or something.

• Liked — pool area, beatutiful fountian
  • Disliked — The price, The staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Hilton Orange County / Costa Mesa
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#8 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Costa Mesa Marriott? Share your experiences!