Costa Mesa Marriott
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I recently stayed at this Marriott on 4/30-5/3 for business. Check in was fast and easy. I was asked if I wanted a bottle of water upon check in which was nice since I had been on a plane fo r many hours. I had room 215 which was a king suite. Clean and quite...room over looked lake pool area. I slept extremely well during my stay.

I had a rental car which you pay $18 a day to park which was an easy in and out. I ate at Hemmingways for breakfast excellent service and very good food.

Location of hotel is about 2-3 miles from SNA airport but you never hear the planes apparently their is some sound restriction in area (that's what we were told when we took off from SNA). Highway isn't to far about 15 minutes to Newport (Huntington beach area) on direction and 15 minutes the other direction to Disneyland and downtown Disney. South Coast shopping plaza is less than a mile away...a must see.

Room Tip: Corner room facing lake pool was really quite
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Looking for a Wyndham alternative? This is your place ballerina. Price is right, service is good. Parking is a little irriatant with no valet and no elevator in the garage and it can be a bit noisy during bus and package tour season - Disney noisy - but the price, room, space, pool and service more than make-up for the shortcomings and there are no cramped lobby or room availability issues as there are at the mighty W.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We decided to stay overnight at this property in conjunction with Frakie Valli Concert at the Sagerstrom Hall. It was a perfect decision, we were able to walk to the venue, avoiding traffic and parking issue and for those shoppers, South Coast Plaza is just a short walk away. Our room was like a mini suite with separate sitting area and television in each area and complete with little kitchenette. The room was clean with a balcony over looking partial lake view.
The staff was very friendly at the reception area and in the restaurant. We attempted to have dinner near the concert venue, but without advance reservation, it was impossible. We decided to have our meal at the hotel and was surprised by quality of food and prompt service. I always try to avoid hotel food, because it is generally over priced and inferior quality, but this was not the case this night. We decided to have our breakfast next morning, based on our experience on previous evening. But it turned out to be a mistake!
The buffet had limited offering, a cut above Courtyard offering, but I was not impressed. Many items were out and not replenished timely, I had to tell the servers items were out! I did not see kitchen staff monitor the buffet table not once during my meal? They were too busy cooking eggs to order( one cook), they certainly was not ready for the number of guests dinning that morning. I waited for missing items, before I could complete my meal! The only person who kept apologizing was our server, who made several trips to remind the cooks of shortages. In the end, she did not charge us for our breakfast with apology, credit to management who allows frontline employees to compensate for inconvenience and poor service! An effective frontline customer service makes it unnecessary for management's involvement. I am certain our server communicated the situation to management. I was pleased with my stay and will return for similar event.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2012

First off, I must applaud the staff. Not once did we ever encounter anyone with a negative attitude. We booked 2 rooms and stayed 3 nights. We booked the special rate where breakfast was included. Great deal, as the cost per person for the breakfast was 17.50, and diff from the room rate was only $10.00. The rooms were fine, furniture a little dated, but it was roomy and clean. Lots of pluses there. I was worried about the firmness of the mattress from other reviews, but it was fine for us.

Ordered room service once, and it was just as good as eating at the restaurant below. We had a room facing the lake, so we had no problems with noise.

It bugged me that there was no free wifi in the rooms, but going to the lobby wasn't a big deal.

Special thanks to the front desk guys...Mike, Dennis, and Peter.... you guys rock!

Room Tip: lake view room, you won't have to listen to the traffic .
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank heng h
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed for two weekend nights in February 2012, our second stay in last couple of years. Rooms are clean, restaurant food above average, service fine too. Breakfast buffet a little expensive at $17.50 but food quality was good and omelet chef was great. Service was good too. On the downside, I agree parking garage was awkward, and at $21 per night? There is plenty of parking across the street where the former Macaroni Grill sits abandoned. The rooms have only one king bed and pullout couch. Our couch had no bedding and we had to call down for blankets. And what's with charging $12.95 a day for internet? Come on Mariott, it's 2012 already. I can get free internet at McDonalds for heaven's sake.

Room Tip: Rooms facing rear of property have nice view of courtyard, pool and natural pond with grassy areas a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank garrybrown
Reviewed January 17, 2012

So much potential, so underwhelming. With all suites and South Coast Plaza right next door, it should have been a match made in heaven. But it was headed for the divorce court right from the start. Struggling to find a park in the lot, then finding there’s no elevator and dragging bags down narrow grey concrete stairs. And paying the privilege?

Check in was chaotic with an entire flight crew checking either in or out at the time. This seems to be a flight crew hotel, as this wasn't the first time the front desk was overwhelmed by airline uniforms. Finally got to the room which was about the size of a regular hotel room cut in two. It’s almost as if they designed the hotel thinking ‘how can we market our hotel as suites without the extra square footage?’ The decor and fittings were actually quite nice – standard Marriott fare. The bed was another story. The mattress seemed so soft which might be to some people’s liking. Just not mine. Housekeeping was the usual excellent Marriott standard.

I didn’t explore the restaurants or the other facilities, but there are much better hotel options in the area.

Perhaps this hotel and I were never meant to be.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank mmppwwzz
Reviewed December 25, 2011

$21 to park in a garage with no elevator...if you have heavy luggage, plan to stop at the lobby first or plan on a hernia lugging it down or up the stairs. Then, to add to the fun, two nights in a row now the garage has been full and we had to park in te employee of te month spot...sorry employee of the month!

When I spoke to front desk, they apologized and credited the parking chare but it didn't fix not having enough parking...

• Stayed: December 2011