See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Was traveling on business and did not plan on being in the room much so I just wanted a simple clean hotel room. Did not find that with this La Quinta location. Size of the room was typical for a motel. Arrived very late at night so I just jumped straight into bed. The bed was very hard. Tried to take a shower the next day and the shower did not work (water only came out of the faucet, not out of the shower). Informed the front desk and they moved me to another room. Although my new room had a working shower it only had two water temperatures, cold and ice cold. Free wireless internet was slow. Room did not have convenient electrical outlets to charge electronics such as cell phones, laptops, etc.) Continental breakfast was skimpy. Hotel was conveniently located with easy on/off access to the I405 but there are many other better lodging options in the area. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2010

This hotel is right near the 405 so unless you love hearing cars constantly day and night, you should look for another place. We stayed for 2 nights and really expected more from Laquinta. The rooms were okay to sleep however the bathroom was disgusting. There where yellow and black stains on the tub itself and long strands of hair when we first took a look. Costa Mesa is a nice town but this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2010

The hotel is noisy, very noisy, the freeway is very close to the hotel, if you really want to stay here you need to book on the other side of the hotel. We were lucky enough to be able to move rooms. Once we turned out the lights and tried to sleep we realized it would be a horrible few days if we stayed in the same room, so we changed to the other side.

Other issues:
The air conditioners smell like mold.

The washing machine was broken, I did landry only to find out I had to ring out every one of my clothes myself before drying them. I started at 9pm, I did not finish until 2am!!!!!! And of course there are no maintenance staff at night.

The day staff were less than helpful, attitude problems.

There are really no places to eat near here, hope you have a car. Ikea has a place to eat, if you get there at the right time. Other than that, good luck.

Once we moved rooms things were a little bit better, but the overall experience here just wasn't good. I guess its saving grace was that they allowed us to change rooms and the rooms all had free internet. The maintence staff, although his English is not very good, is very helpful!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CrunchyMonkey
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Needed a place to stay in Costa Mesa, near John Wayne Airport, not expensive- and wanting a clean room with a comfy bed was my minimal expectation for the money. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was unusable! The shower only had cold water with low pressure. The bottom of the bath/shower was that non-slip texture which was dark grey from not cleaning correctly- so also think it was unsanitary to use. Asked for coffee basket for in room maker, and they never showed up to deliver. I did appreciate the reviews of others and asked for the opposite side from 405 fwy- it was quiet. Walking to car I saw what appeared to be a couple drive-up drug deals going on a few doors down. No security in sight EVER. It's a place to keep your head down & walk fast.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2010

There are three things that really upset me about this place. First is that there are NO (as in 0) non-smoking rooms. I don't mean there were none available, I mean they don't exist here. I changed rooms twice due the smell. They are happy to advertise that they have non-smoking rooms, but in reality they simply have smoking rooms with the ashtray removed and some air freshener added. The "non-smoking" rooms don't even say non-smoking which makes it easy to sell the room however they want.

The second thing that upsets me about the place is its lack of king beds. I stayed here with my girlfriend and booked a room with a king. "Sorry, all out". The beds were very uncomfortable as well.

The third thing is what many other people have mentioned. It's next to the freeway extremely loud! I previously lived in a ground floor Manhattan apartment, one of the noisiest places to live, and was not bothered by the sound. This place, however, bothered me a lot.

There were several other less important things that I didn't like. The rooms feel cheap with frayed wires visible, no internet access (wired or wireless) which I assume is related to the frayed wires. Broken lights, broken elevator (it will take you to the 3rd floor but not back down), peeling paint, and just an overall cheap feel to the place.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple