See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 7, 2010

The hotel is about 50 yards from the freeway, so the traffic noise is terrible. If you cannot be guaranteed a room away from the freeway, book elsewhere. Also, it shares a parking lot with Hooters, so the Saturday night crowd is a little iffy.
Also, there is no computer with a printer so you cannot print out boarding passes.

The rooms were fine though.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We generally rely on the La Quinta brand when traveling by car. This La Quinta is run down and in generally poor condition. The first room we were offered reeked of smoke. We were given a second room, but after moving in, found that the free wired Internet in the room didn't work. Two hours of phone calls, assistance from hotel personnel, etc. and the problem was not resolved. Toilet stopped functioning well after a few hours.

The only restaurant in walking distance is a Hooters, so good only if you crave deep fried stuff. There are other restaurants in driving distance.

This is a very inexpensive hotel, so one gets what one pays for, but this is beneath the La Quinta brand and that was an unpleasant surprise.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2010

No frills, just a clean room and nice staff. Our first room reeked of cigarette smoke and they were very accomodating in finding us another. Close to the freeway( real close!) and John Wayne airport as well as shopping.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife and I spent three nights here for business and visiting relatives. The general location was great and the room was nice, but the freeway noise was like trying to sleep in the middle of the Indianapolis 500. We used pillows to try to muffle the noise coming through the bottom of the door. It helped a little., but not enough

The internet didn't work. I spent a long time with tech support to figure out the cable was bad. It worked fine after it was replaced. WiFi would have been better.

As others have noted, there are apparently a bunch of lowlifes living at this motel. One day there were five police cars at the motel and four "guests" were sitting on the walk with their hands handcuffed behind their backs.

I should have checked the reviews here before making my reservation!

The room rate was low... but far from the lowest in the area.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My young son and I wanted a special "Mommy & Me" getaway close to our favorite attractions. We're on a budget so we checked into this La Quinta (the San Diego Location is ok, so I anticipated a similar experience in Costa Mesa. WRONG!!!!! The 1st room was dirty but we kept our socks on and "sucked up" our disgust. In the morning we realized the TV wasn't working. My son needed his cartoon fix and I needed the distraction for him so I could shower! I called the front desk and a very nice lady offered to switch our room. She hand delivered the new room keys and I handed her our exisitng set. We walked down the outdoor hall in our PJ's (it's 6am). We open the door to the new room and it smells REALLY strong like cigarette smoke. My little one has severe Asthma (I'm an RN) . Obviously I'm not taking him into that room. The telephone is close to the door so I dial the front desk while we are standing barely in the doorway (the baby is still outside because he CAN'T go in). The very rude clerk says she can't do anything about it and hangs up. I call back and explain that we're in the hallway because the room is smokey and my child is Asthmatic. She is HORRIBLY rude. Then the other desk clerk (the nice one) emerges with keys to a 3rd room. We try that one out and lay on the bed. It has MANY springs coming through the mattress. The handtowels in the bathroom had make-up on them from a previous guest. The toilet had feces in it. For obvious reasons we checked out immediately and will never return to this chain! EVER!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family