See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife and I spent three nights here for business and visiting relatives. The general location was great and the room was nice, but the freeway noise was like trying to sleep in the middle of the Indianapolis 500. We used pillows to try to muffle the noise coming through the bottom of the door. It helped a little., but not enough

The internet didn't work. I spent a long time with tech support to figure out the cable was bad. It worked fine after it was replaced. WiFi would have been better.

As others have noted, there are apparently a bunch of lowlifes living at this motel. One day there were five police cars at the motel and four "guests" were sitting on the walk with their hands handcuffed behind their backs.

I should have checked the reviews here before making my reservation!

The room rate was low... but far from the lowest in the area.

Date of stay: January 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My young son and I wanted a special "Mommy & Me" getaway close to our favorite attractions. We're on a budget so we checked into this La Quinta (the San Diego Location is ok, so I anticipated a similar experience in Costa Mesa. WRONG!!!!! The 1st room was dirty but we kept our socks on and "sucked up" our disgust. In the morning we realized the TV wasn't working. My son needed his cartoon fix and I needed the distraction for him so I could shower! I called the front desk and a very nice lady offered to switch our room. She hand delivered the new room keys and I handed her our exisitng set. We walked down the outdoor hall in our PJ's (it's 6am). We open the door to the new room and it smells REALLY strong like cigarette smoke. My little one has severe Asthma (I'm an RN) . Obviously I'm not taking him into that room. The telephone is close to the door so I dial the front desk while we are standing barely in the doorway (the baby is still outside because he CAN'T go in). The very rude clerk says she can't do anything about it and hangs up. I call back and explain that we're in the hallway because the room is smokey and my child is Asthmatic. She is HORRIBLY rude. Then the other desk clerk (the nice one) emerges with keys to a 3rd room. We try that one out and lay on the bed. It has MANY springs coming through the mattress. The handtowels in the bathroom had make-up on them from a previous guest. The toilet had feces in it. For obvious reasons we checked out immediately and will never return to this chain! EVER!

Date of stay: October 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We pulled off after a long day of driving because the giant sign along the freeway said $49 a night! The motel is inconveniently located in an industrial park area and next to a crowded Hooters, which might appeal to some. We had a problem with the fact that we had to wait 45 minutes for them to clean a room (after 4 pm), it was supposed to be a non-smoking room but reeked of smoke, there were ants in the room and in the breakfast area off the lobby (we noticed the following morning), the room was so noisy and you could hear the freeway from inside of it, not enough parking outside, lousy coffee in the room, hard to operate t.v., etc. and for all that we were charged $90. The front desk girl said in response to our query about the fifty-foot sign on the freeway;"oh, there are only a few $49 rooms and they are by manager approval only and anyway, they have been all booked up for months now." O.K. We didn't really expect it to be $49 flat, but, $90 and something is ALOT more. I am horrified at La Quinta, which more or less advertises itself as a classier, tranquil hotel.

Date of stay: July 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank disgruntled11
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I booked this hotel for $50.00/night on Hotwire. I was very concerned after finding out the location is right beside the 405 freeway. Exterior noise is loud but I found the room to be clean and not too noisy. We slept with the air conditioner on anyway and that helped drown out most traffic noise at night. The beds were comfortable. We got a microwave/fridge combo added to our room. They were old but functional. I do believe that some people are living at this hotel. Some of their work clothes were hung on the railings to dry. I only found one pair of older washer/dryer available and the ice machine didn't work. The pool looked clean but my family didn't go in. The motel is located in a business district and there weren't any shops within walking distance. South Coast Center is nearby and it is close to the OC Fairgrounds. It was an ok stay, especially considering the cost, but we stayed for 6 days which was too long at a motel like this. Overnight stays are ok.

Date of stay: July 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2009

great location, terrible hotel. It seemed that people actually lived there. elevators had graffitti all over, people were washing bags and bags of clothes. Only one ice machine worked. I had to go outside the back door to get the person working at the desk, he was detailing his car. Felt completely unsafe there. Tried to change hotels, but would have been charged an outrageous amount, so I had to stay. That is why the hotel is cheaper than all the others. Beware.

Date of stay: May 2009