“Not very good”

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Not very good”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am a loyal customer of LQ inn.. this was not my best exprience. They gave me a room which had a wierd smell.. My guess is that sombody smoked in it and they tried hard to take the smell off, but they did no good job.

Besides from that, the rest was average.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CRTraveler_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2013

pros: clean rooms. good service. paid only $59 for a room. hooters located in the same property. very nice location.
cons: no shuttle to and from universal or disney. too close to freeway, can get a little noisy at night from traffic.
definitely recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Had great hopes for this place. We booked a two-room suite for our week-long visit to the area but instead of being a pleasant place to stay, it was one disappointment after another. Our suite was one of two right over the lobby. Although the rooms were newly remodeled and somewhat clean, the bathroom was pretty gross, the fridge needed defrosting and half of the light were not working. Parking was also a hassle in the evening when Hooters guests occupied all parking space on the south side of the hotel. It was also hard to get to sleep with the noise coming from our hallway when other hotel guests would use the vending machines just outside our door. The free breakfast in the morning wasn't so bad though with plenty variety to eat, but it was hard to find a place to sit and I often had to take my food back to the room with me. When it comes down to it, although it was a good price, I will stay somewhere else next time I visit this area.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jas7chip
Ukiah, CA
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I'd stayed at this hotel several years ago (as I tend to frequent La Quinta a lot), but I remembered it being a bit sub-par. Now that I've stayed here again recently, I recall the problem from before: the noise from I-405 (if you have a south-facing room) is constant and relentless. I tried to drown out the freeway noise with the heater-ac unit, but the unit in my room wouldn't produce any warmth, an in trying to adjust it to maximum heat, I noticed the adjustment knob device came all the way out of its fixture into my hand. Obviously, it was in need of repair. Nevertheless, the room was newly refurbished and the furniture was quite new. The shower head wasn't great, and the sink had no stopper devic in the drain. However, my AARP rate for the room was only $53 per night (while at any nearby La Quinta, such as Santa Ana or Buena Park, the cheapest room rate was closer to $80-$90). The breakfast was about average for a La Quinta, but the breakfast space is crowded, as it's quite small in relation to the large number of guest rooms. Would I stay here again? Probably, if I could be assured of a room on the north-facing side of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Live pretty close but going to concert nearby and can't beat $60 for a room.

Can only speak for myself, but they seem to have gotten their act together cleaning-wise. Room was great. Spotless. Even had signed card from maid, so it seems they've acted on the negative reviews here.

Basic yes, but had nice TV, free Internet, power port w/USB. Newly remodeled as well. A little shabby on the outside.

Very friendly staff at check-in.

As others have pointed out, get a room on the back side that faces away from freeway. Still get some noise from nearby street, but not that bad.

Totally worth the money.

Room Tip: Get room facing away from freeway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I called in to let them know I was checking in late. My room still wasn't ready by the time I arrived! They ended up putting me in a smoking room when I specifically said and requested NON SMOKING. Im deathly allergic to smoke. After hauling my bag up stairs and back down, I went back to get another room. I didn't know at the time but I was put in a room that WAS NOT CLEAN! I mean garbage, messy sheets, dirty towels... The only thing that went right was that they agreed to give me a full refund. I guess you get for what you pay.

• Stayed March 2013
Best Western Plus Newport Mesa Inn
Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro
Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach

Been to La Quinta Inn John Wayne Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!