See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The hotel staffers are friendly. Room is clean. Location is noisy ....next to busy freeway :(

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I needed to stay one night in Orange County so I decided to cruise on over to the La Quinta in Costa Mesa, which is close to the John Wayne airport and the South Coast Plaza. The hotel is located right on the 405 freeway and Harbor. It's a bit noisy with all the traffic going by all the time but what else can you expect when staying next to the freeway. The rooms are as expected, not glamorous but in good shape and with enough appointments. The lobby and pool area are nice also. The room includes breakfast which has the usual stuff but I didn't have any of the offerings. Others seemed to enjoy it. The unfortunate thing was that my room was in an area where the internet router was not working very well. I couldn't get a good internet connection. I called the support desk for the internet but the support guy couldn't help me. I tried to contact the front desk and they too tried to do some things but they did not work out either. The next morning when I was checking out the clerk asked me if the internet problem worked out. I replied that it did not but I was able to use it in the lobby. To my surprise she removed 10 dollars from my bill due to the internet problem. I think that was a nice gesture and worth mentioning. I wish some other hotels would take notice of these kinds of things. I give them an excellent in service due to this. They couldn't get the internet to work in my room so they removed 10 dollars off of the bill without even asking for a discount or anything. Now they are on the top of my hotel list in this area.

Room Tip: Stay here for a reasonably priced and decent hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NoobNB
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Your Basic need of shelter and running water will be met.
I unfortunately left an overnight bag behind the door and realized my oversight 2 hours after I checked out. I phoned the front desk to notify them; no bag was found but they stated the room had already been cleaned and they would need to speak to the cleaning lady. I received a follow up call 3 hours later telling me nothing was found by the cleaning personnel. All I can conclude is that the monetary tip I left for the cleaning lady must have been insulting and she felt my overnight bag was a worthy compensation. I did write a letter to the Management to alert them of my disappointment and concern. I know, one dishonorable cleaning person shouldn't taint the entire La Quinta establishment.

The irony is that we rented the hotel room for one night so we could attend the show "Wicked" .
Guess who I'll think of as "Wicked" everytime I hear the name La Quinta?

Room Tip: Request rooms that do not face Hooters restaurant
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed at the La Quinta because we had an early morning flight out of Orange County. I wish I had noticed that the good reviews were from 2006! First, it sits right under the 405 and the freeway noise was constant all night. If that wasn't bad enough, we had a cricket inside our room! The carpeting was so worn it had holes in it. The shower tile was moldy and the water in the shower was restricted to little more than a dribble. The breakfast was straight 7-11 prepackaged pastries, cereal (Cornflakes only), yogurt and drinks. I expect more for $80 a night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We got a great rate on our week long stay at this hotel. We were in town for my daughter's graduation. There were lots of activities to attend. While on the road, it was necessary to have a WiFi connection. The connection at this hotel was pretty much non-existent. We contacted technical support three times and the front desk twice. Finally, they said that we could change rooms to get a better connection. Their staff helped us move all of our belongings to the new room. The WiFi connection in that room was even worse. We had to go to the lobby to use the the WiFi connection there. We were on the freeway side of the hotel, so consequently, LOTS of freeway noise. There was not any weather stripping on the door jams to slow the noise down. My best ear plugs were put to the test. The hotel has a policy of 100% satisfaction. So much for that! They were very accommodating when our travel plans changed and we needed to leave early. I think the staff must be used to apologizing for the bad WiFi connection. While sitting in the lobby using the WiFi and listening to new guests check in and then coming back to complain about the WiFi, I felt so bad for the staff members there. This was definitely a known issue. The manager had said that they were in the middle of an upgrade. The staff seemed genuinely surprised when yet another person came into complain about the internet connection. On busy nights guests from the restaurant next door would fill almost half of this hotels parking lot. Makes it pretty difficult to find a place to park. As far as the rooms go, pretty plain / basic...bed, pillow, bathroom, window. Go somewhere else!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family