“One Night in Costa Mesa, CA”

Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed February 9, 2011

We called to check on availability for a night's stay, saw it on Living Social. Matt let us know they had a room, but that the coupon could take up to 48 hours, but they had a room for only $99 with two queen beds! He politely took our information and we received an email confirmation in a matter of minutes! Thanks Matt for the heads up on the coupon!

We got to the Hotel Hanford and were checked in by Jennifer R. She was friendly and professional. She asked about our trip to determine our needs. We were leaving for a Disney Cruise the next day and got directions to the port. She also asked if we had eaten dinner yet, Savory, their restaurant was open until 10 pm. It smelled wonderful, but we had already eaten.

Our room had a really nice bathroom with a rainwater shower-head, 37" flat screen TV, comfy beds, a desk and relaxing chair. I thought the pillows were a bit too firm for my taste, but the rest of the family thought they were "just right". Our daughter loved the round seating area in the lobby with the purple lighting (see photo).

We got up early the next morning and got the complementary Starbucks brewed coffee from the lobby and proceeded to the workout facility. It was great, free weights, resistance weights, treadmills, elliptical machines, towels, water and large TV. Our daughter even took a turn on the the treadmill.

The channels in the workout facility were different from our room and of course our kids wanted to watch Scooby-Doo on Cartoon Network, Cameron helped out getting us to the correct channel.

We took a stroll around the property and saw the business center tucked just beside the front desk, the vending machines were a bit hidden on the first floor, but the pool and hot tub looked awesome! There were cabanas and enough space to really sit and relax. We didn't, it was a bit early and we were headed out to the Port of Los Angeles that morning.

The Hotel Hanford is close to Disneyland, Knotts Berry, the Honda Center, shopping, dining and beautiful California beaches!

Our recommendations: request a room not on the street side, it can get a bit loud if you aren't used to a busy street, rooms with coffee maker and fridge are available upon request (we didn't need them for our stay).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County

Reviewed December 15, 2010

I have stayed here about once a month for business meetings for several years so have seen the whole transition from Holiday Inn to Hotel Hanford. I think they did a great job updating the rooms with a trendy decor and making the hotel look sleek and modern. The rooms are very nicely appointed and I like the scent of the toiletries they provide. Free WiFi is always a plus as is the free parking. I would agree with other reviewers that they could have left the in room coffee maker, but I usually order a room service breakfast anyway so it's not that big of a deal. If you have any objection to room service prices, McDonalds is right next door. The staff here has always been top notch, friendly and helpful. I have stayed at all of the other hotels in the immediate area, the Hilton , the Westin, the Wyndham....I would highly recommend the Hanford over any of them.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2010

You would never think Holiday Inn when you arrive. I arrived early around noon and checked in. The lobby was really nice, stylish. The man at the front desk was really nice and got me a room right away. It was on the 3rd floor and I asked if they had anything on a higher floor. He said no, they were still cleaning out rooms from the previous evening. He calls someone to come get my luggage from the car and while we are out there a room became available. As I walk back in he hands me new keys to my room on the 5th floor :). The maintenance man had gone ahead of me as I was getting little personal items out of the car, so he called him and had him meet me at my new room.

Room was really nice, big flat screen and really nice King sized bed. Shower was heavenly. Property is pretty quite.

Things I loved about this place were the service, the location, and the fact that its free parking and free wifi. Room was comfortable and didn't seem cheap.

I really like this area, lots of things to do from shopping to spending the day at one of the spas. I'll definitely be back in Costa Mesa again and this will be the place I stay. If you have the choice between this place and the Westin STAY HERE. The Westin is overpriced and the service I received there was terrible.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank warytraveler01
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We stayed two nights while attending a conference at a nearby church. We were with another couple, who had a room next to ours. We were all pleasantly surprised at the beautiful and comfortable accommodations. Everything was new and the room was exceptionally clean. We loved the rain shower head, the completely new bathroom fixtures, flat screen tv, and free wi-fi in the room. The location was great with easy freeway access and it was just a block from the South Coast Plaza shopping mall. Everyone on staff that we encountered was delightful. We'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I recently planned a weekend trip to Costa Mesa with my wife to see the Peter Pan play at the Performing Arts Center (play was amazing). We decided to check out the Hotel Hanford and we were not disappointed. The hotel was completely revamped and offers an elegant, stylish, and modern look. The room was very clean and comfortable; My favorite part was the showers. The pool area had a Vegas feel with the cabanas and the greenery was beautiful. The highlight of the hotel was the restaurant Savoy. The redesign was amazing as was the food and service. The seafood appetizers were incredible and the petite filet was also delicious. The bartender/waitor was very friendly and knowledgeable and the specialty cocktails he prepared were excellent. As far as i'm concerned when you factor in the free parking, free shuttle service, great rooms, awesome on site restaurant, and reasonable rates, the Hotel Hanford certainly holds it own.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jculver24
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I've been traveling for work for over 10 years now, and I have to say without a doubt that the Hotel Hanford is one of the cleanest and most accomomdating Hotels I've ever stayed at. I've been traveling to Costa Mesa for about 2 years now (every week), and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. The rooms are awesome, and Customer Service is hands down the best I've ever experienced. Jennifer, Kenan, Joe, Stephanie, and last but not least Edward Moses (GM), always make me feel like the Hotel Hanford is my home away from home. They do an awesome job of catering to your every need and I think they're the only Hotel that I've stayed at that makes everyone feel like a VIP. I would recommend to anyone traveling to Orange County to stay at the Hotel Hanford in Costa Mesa Ca. I promise you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This converted Holiday Inn has a nice new paint job, however there are many things that are out of sorts in my opinion. When was the last time you stayed at a hotel that did not offer coffee makers in the room? When we were there we went into the on site dining facility which was actually a bar with a few tables, our party was about 15 or so but they would not reposition the tables so we all could sit together. Said fire code and the ability to walk around which was laughable as to my count we were just about to the number the only ones in the place. The filet was the worst I've seen in such an establishment small and tough actually it was more like a round steak. The creme brulee was ice cold and overall portions were what one would expect upon a childs menu. How is it possible you have High Def televisions in the rooms projecting "blurr o vision", no High Def channels at all. Then insult to injury this establishment would not extend the corporate rate for an additional day even though no one was checked in just mind boggling.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business