“An unsettling stay with poor customer service”

Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza and had a terrible experience. We specifically booked a room with a jacuzzi tub but upon arriving at our room we discovered that there was no tub at all. The room was small and cramped and we were just disappointed that we didn't get the amenities that were advertised to us. We visited the bar and the drinks were terrible. I ordered a mojito and it came with exactly 1 mint leaf in it and I don't think they even used rum. So that was a fail. I had 1 sip because it was so awful. On top of that the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night for about 10 minutes, which I would have been totally fine with, IF there was a fire, there wasn't. We received absolutely no apology for the fact that our sleep was disrupted. And then in the morning we ordered breakfast which was sub par. And they forgot half of it in the kitchen. I would have loved to recommend this hotel- the location is great, the bed was comfortable and it was very clean but I felt like I spent a lot of money and didn't get the type of experience I would expect form a hotel that boasts 4.5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Aldo C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Devault1988,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa. We are very sorry and not happy with what you experienced during your stay. When it comes to the fire alarm, we are obligated to treat each alarm as if it were a real case scenario and apologize for the inconvenience.

We have since conveyed your feedback to our restaurant management and are looking further into the incident. Our sincere apologize on your overall poor experience, however if your travels bring you back to Costa Mesa we would very much like the opportunity to host you for another nights stay. Please contact me personally to assist you in booking your next stay.

Warm regards,

Costa Mesa, CA 92626
D 714 557-3000
F 714 957 8957

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Have stayed here several times now and have been well taken care of each time. The front desk is always helpful. My husband and I are really enjoying the new restaurant and menu, especially the service. Richard is Great and really takes time with all of us guests. I've also enjoyed being served by Cesar, Moises, and the others... You have a good group of employees which makes a great experience for your guests. Thanks, Linda and Lloyd Farris

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This hotel is my home away from home when I am in Orange County. Clean and spacious rooms, comfortable beds, free shuttle service. The staff make it great, they offer great and friendly service, they remember your name and preferences after only one stay. Especially Cesar and Richard in the dining room, they are the best!

Room Tip: Ask to face the pool so as not to hear the traffic
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've reviewed this hotel in the past and due to some changes, wanted to update my review. I want to preface this by saying that I stay here almost every week and have done so for about 1 1/2 years, While there have been changes at the front desk, the staff continues to provide top notch service. I'd like to send huge thanks to Chris, Arturo, Imelda and everyone who works the 2nd shift during the week. They make my home away from home delightful to the extent that they can. While the rooms could use a little upgrading, they are clean, comfortable and nicely furnished. The shower is arguably the best hotel shower ever!

Now to the negative. They have recently renovated the restaurant and bar area, which, physically is an inviting and comfortable room. They've added much needed wide screen TV's in order to enjoy sports etc. However, what they totally downgraded was the food, both quality and selection, and service. While my favorite former bartender and server, Javier is still there, it is in a limited capacity and only a few days a week. For the most part, the service is robotic and uncaring. (Although I did have a very nice server on Monday night 3/10 in the bar area but don't remember her name). The food is even more of a downgrade than the service. The menu is very limited and all of the items that you'd like to see on a menu servicing business traveler have gone by the wayside. It appears as though they are trying to make this a destination restaurant but to be honest, even if the food was stellar, this is a Crowne Plaza and not a Four Seasons or even a Marriott. The food is, in some cases, not edible. A simple salad with chicken had cold, hard chicken, pieces of fat and tomatoes that seemed to be a bit aged. Don't mean to gross anyone out but it was bad. Also, although I don't have allergies, there were seeds in the salad not listed on the menu that could have caused issues for some people.

When you are away from home as much as I am, the food experience is important, both for quality and comfort. There are others who stay there almost as much as I and they are not returning.

As for me, I'm weighing my options but would like to continue to be a guest at this hotel because of the otherwise stellar service. I guess I'll see how long I can last having meals elsewhere.

One more thing to add to this lengthy review, the food is not only bad but it's expensive as are the drinks (expensive but not bad).

Room Tip: Some people want a room away from the street. For me personally, I think they are all the same.
2  Thank AM0525
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel and found the rooms quiet & spacious, staff very helpful and the restaurant which is brand new excellent both food & staff. Less expensive then other major hotel chains across the street. Free shuttle to airport & shopping. What more can one ask for!

Room Tip: Good choice for the business traveler who needs to stay in the area
1  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We decided to spend a good day in this nice hotel in Costa Mesa before the drive to La Jolla thé following day for a conference my husband attended last month. The first time we stayed in this hotel was last year and were charmed by the stylish and well-furnished spacious room, with a big bathroom and assigned to us, consequently, opted to stay again in the same hotel this year. Noticed the new extended roof in front of the hotel's entrance - a good shade not only for hot days but also for wet season. Room assigned to us this year is again a big well-furnished, stylish room.
With a Keurig coffee-maker, my husband enjoyed his coffee-time very much. Staff are very friendly and accomodating. Breakfast buffet was ok, a bit of cooked food but as usual in most American hotels as observed, selection of bread is limited, although staff in the breakfast room were helpful, courteous and friendly. Will surely stay again as hotel is situated in an excellent location.

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Aida656
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I arrived in the early evening and was disappointed to see the construction going on as they remodeled their restaurant area. They had tables set up around the lobby and were serving from a limited menu. The room I was assigned faced a busy street with road noise most of the night, coupled with a dog barking in the hallway. I was in Orange County for just one night, and one of the reasons I chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza was the complimentary airport shuttle. From the airport to the hotel the shuttle worked fine, but the following morning it was unavailable to guests needing a ride back to the airport so I had to hire a taxi. I'm a IHG Rewards Club member and really expected a better stay than that unfortunate experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel away from Bristol Street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank DelGregorio
Aldo C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear DelGregorio,

We are thankful for your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa. We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations. We understand that renovations are not easy on our guests and may cause an inconvenience, for that we do apologize. We are happy to announce renovations on the restaurant remodel have been completed and we would definitely like to welcome you back to enjoy it. We try best as possible to keep the shuttle available to everyone, though the hotel shuttle is open based upon availability and therefore does become busy during peak hours of travel. We would love to welcome you back when in the area to ensure a more pleasurable time from every part of your hotel experience. Please contact me with any further questions or when booking your room.

Warm regards,