“Home Away From Home-with Executive Flair”

Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed January 13, 2014

What a refreshing experience! What a difference a quality hotel staff can make! Visit this hotel and discover your Home Away From Home!

Travelling for work can be challenging. Being away from the conveniences of home and the comforts of being with our family can make business trips even more of a struggle to function at full capacity professionally. I travel for work one-third of the year and have experienced hundreds of hotels. By far, the staff at the Crowne Plaza is fantastic, all the way around! Gratefully, because of the excellence in quality from the contemporary decor, to the perfectly weighted and textured bedding (perfectly comfortabIe!), to the wonderful staff, I am able to "fire on all cylinders" when staying at this hotel.

I am pleasantly and exceedingly surprised when I am greeted with a bright smile and each one knows my name--- from the Valet, to the Shuttle Driver, to the Front Desk staff, to the Restaurant/Bar personnel. The hotel is full all the time, yet they are able to keep track of me. That's amazing! How do they do it? Excellent, professional customer service, and authentic friendliness is a RARE quality anywhere you go these days, so this experience is a shining contrast!

I want to say THANK YOU to Charles, Keith & Lori--the amazing management and sales team, Richard--a wonderful server, Ashley and Anna--our hilarious bartender and sweet room-service friend, Arturo--at the Front Desk--and others, for helping to make special arrangements for my guests and me and for meeting special requests. There are MANY hotel choices in the area, but this Crowne Plaza is a RARE GEM! These staff members and several other treasured staff members, are reasons I will continue to visit Crowne Plaza-Costa Mesa for years to come, both professionally and personally. The hotel and it's staff members have made this a home away from home for me!

Choose this very special hotel and meet this outstanding hotel staff. You will be glad you came!

Room Tip: Request a Pool-facing room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AshleySmith_CIG

Reviewed January 11, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Crowne, Costa Mesa. I purchased an extra room for some members of my family and used some points from my rewards card (something that has thoroughly confused other hotels in the past). Elizabeth was great; she was able to navigate the three different reservations I had and upgrade my room (due to IHG status). The service was fantastic all around and the breakfast was great. Nice pool area and a good bar/restaurant area. This place was well worth the money (especially if you can take advantage of a rewards program). Everything was great.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CJB2003
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I really have nothing very negative to say about the Crowne Plaza hotel. My wife and I stayed a night over New Years eve. The bed was comfortable, the TV was big and the room was clean.

As I initially reached the front desk to discuss my reservation, the only man who was there, took a call. He didn't acknowledge us nor did he even say, "I'll be right with you." This was a little off-putting as first impressions can usually set the bar for the staff. After he hung up, everything turned around and we actually exchanged some witty banter before he gave us the key to the room.

I won't explain why he did what he did as it has happened to us at other hotels/restaurants but he didn't charge us for the parking and he set us up with a fridge in the room, free of charge, to chill our champagne. I would like to name him but management may get word of his offerings and I wouldn't want to cause any trouble for him. Just know that he really took care of us and was kind in the process.

We had dinner soon after in the hotel restaurant. My wife enjoyed her steak while I took part in the Chicken Marsala. I've tasted better and it was a little overpriced but it served it's purpose. The only thing that raised a couple eyebrows were some of the clientele the hotel brings in and the shower in the room. Everything from questionable looking men and women with tatoos-a-plenty to an oblivious couple with some whining and crying kids in the restaurant. We're not old and grumpy but we had to move tables with that little surprise just to hear ourselves talk.

The shower: I have to mention their massive overhead shower which rains down on you like a waterfall...it was glorious. You can also switch over to a hand shower. Only odd things were that you have to reach past this big shower head to turn on the water, which means if you don't move like lightening, you'll be treated to a pre-shower of cold water. Next, the shower floor was as shallow as a drain pan, allowing the water to work it's way under the shower door with ease and get the bathroom floor all wet so make sure you put down a shower mat before stepping in.

If you manage to secure breakfast coupons, you can have their buffet breakfast. The pickings are fairly slim, you get your money's worth for around $10.

Other than that - all was well - their movies on the TV were upwards of $17 which made me feel financially violated but I did partake in a couple of them. All the staff, especially in the restaurant, was quite accommodating and vert pleasant.

Apparently, this property just went through a multi-million dollar renovation. It's obvious by the architecture that this is an older hotel but what they've done as far as improving the decor looks nice.

1  Thank bmurf6873
Aldo C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Bmurf6873,

Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel. We take your feedback regarding our hotel as a gift. We wish you a great new year and look forward to welcoming you back whenever in the area.

Warm regards,

Aldo Casanova
Front Desk Supervisor
3131 Bristol St. Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714 557 3000 Direct
714 957 8185 Fax
acasanova@cpcostamesa.com

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Crowne Plaza has become my temporary home after relocating for business from out of state. The staff here has been outstanding. They are always greeting you with a smile and they are very accommodating. Chris and everyone at the guest service desk are quick to help and when the work day is over, Ashley and the gang behind the bar always help create a nice relaxing and comfortable atmosphere to wind down. I have not stayed here very long but I can tell that a place this great starts with great management, and trickles on down. Kudos to the entire Crowne staff. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We only stayed one night but this is a really nice hotel with friendly service and our room was beautiful and sooo clean! We were sorry we could not stay longer and check out the amenities and explore the surrounding area!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've been staying at this hotel since the mid-90s and have seen it change owners and names numerous times. We stay there at Christmas because family is nearby, and noticed several things that were different this visit, starting with a parking charge. They have an enormous lot surrounding the hotel and a parking structure behind the hotel. There are few guests at Christmas and there are usually about 30-50 cars in the lot. They now are charging guests an extra $10 parking fee, whether you use the valet or you self-park (limited because they have roped off most of the lot for valet). Next, when we get to our room, we discover they have removed all ice and vending machines from all floors except the main floor, a further inconvenience. The room itself is okay but has extra furniture that we always rearrange so we aren't continually bumping into it (big bench at the end of the bed and a gigantic ottoman). They use some sort of perfumey spray on the sheets or something that gets pretty overwhelming after a while, especially if you have allergies. When we went down to breakfast the next morning, we learned that the buffet was not going to be set up, but we could order from the menu and our breakfast package would cover it, but you're definitely getting a lot less bang for your buck because you have to pay for fruit, juice and coffee to go along with your breakfast, whereas all of that is included if you have the buffet. The second day, we noticed that our linens were not fresh.

Bottom line: Like most people, we resent being nickel and dimed. We're looking around the area for an alternative. This joint ain't what it used to be.

Room Tip: overlook the pool
2  Thank melinda m
Aldo C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Mrs. Melinda M.,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and feedback provided. I do apologize that you do not approve of the parking charges at the Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa, which have been in effect since the first of the year. As always we try to remain competitive with the other hotels in Costa Mesa. We are very grateful and appreciate your past stays and hope that we may welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Warm regards,

Aldo Casanova
Front Desk Supervisor
3131 Bristol St. Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714 557 3000 Direct
714 957 8185 Fax
acasanova@cpcostamesa.com

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our four day stay at the Crowne Plaza was just wonderful, great hotel and staff, room very clean and comfortable. Special thanks to front desk staff Arturo and Imelda who we cannot say enough about them, and made us feel so at home and good sense of humor also Sam and Javier very courteous. Our room on the fifth floor was quiet and great view.
Services at the restaurant was excellent as was the food and their staff very courteous and prompt; Brenda, Ron, Richard were just great.
We will definitely be back, we are making this hotel our second home when we visit from Nevada.
After on the road two week vacation this was our last stop of all the hotels we stayed on our trip this was the best.

1  Thank 2happytravelers71