“Great experience”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Dallas, Texas
“Great experience”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Hanford for 1 night during a weekend celebration for his birthday. The staff was very helpful and Matt gave exceptional customer service. The room was very clean and the bed was delightfully comfortable. If we are ever in this area again we will not hesitate to stay here. Thank you Hotel Hanford.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank God_loves_me75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Orange, California
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Believe it or not they closed the whole front parking lot and had everyone cram into a 2 floor parking structure in back so that at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning they could have a car show in the front of the hotel..The people who brought their cars were local
guys, they weren't even guests of the hotel..They raced their engines, tooted their horns, played loud music right in front of the hotel rooms...when I complained to the OWNERS of the hotel, they could have cared less. Lost my business, and I hope you make sure they dont have anything like this planned if you plan to stay here...

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Jerestina
HotelHanfordGM, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Jerestina,

We are so sorry to hear about the trouble with parking. Unfortunately we were hosting an event at the time of your stay, but that should not have interfered with your relaxation or enjoyment. We truly want to apologize for your experience at The Hotel Hanford and thank you for your review. We'd love to remedy this situation immediately. Could you please email us directly at TheHotelHanford@gmail.com? We're looking forward to hearing from you!
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Service: The best! Every hotel staff member we ran into had a smile and truely seemed to enjoy their job.
From the moment we entered the lobby and were greated by the staff unitl we left. We where in town for the OC Fair and Bob Dylan concert. The hotel provided a free shuttle to the concert as well as a phone number to call when we needed a ride back. During breakfast I mentioned to one of the staff we wanted to go to a beach inthe area, he provided us with printed directions to local beaches. Just the little things like this made the stay very nice.

HOTEL OVERALL: Beautiful, comfortable, plenty of space, excellent customer service, top notch drinks (and plenty of them), always someone ready to take our orders, great selecion of great food, first class all the way!

We WILL stay with Excellence again!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank dknapp743
NJ
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Clean, nice hotel. Front desk very helpful. Walking distance to mall. Hotel provides free shuttle to John Wayne airport where you can rent cars. WiFi was not great - cut out often. When this was pointed out, front desk suggested that I use WiFi in the lobby! Not the kind of response you would expect from a hotel catering to businesses.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank NAKNj
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 22, 2011

This was a last choice (due to other travelers' negative reviews), as all hotels in the area were full. Although the lobby has been updated, and rooms are ok but nothing special, the bathrooms are low-end. In the old, high-rise section (king spa rooms), the "spa" bath is a dark, small space with a plastic shower floor (looks like they took out a bathtub and sealed the floor space).

The overhead rainfall shower head does not work. Others have made the same observation, so it wasn't just my shower. There's a tiny handheld shower head, but the water pressure isn't sufficient to rinse one's hair, and it is positioned so the sharp metal soap dish pushes into your neck if you try to stand under the shower. The flooring is dark brown something (vinyl?). The shampoos are in paper containers (I didn't use them), no shower cap, no cotton balls. Worse-NO makeup mirror, the lighting is horrible, and the wall mirror impossible to use to apply makeup. That's a huge negative. Towels and robe were good quality.

The room, smaller than in the newer "executive" section, was spacious. Bed fairly comfortable, linens good quality. Lighting poor. Couldn't get a lamp to turn on, finally crawled under and saw it was unplugged (was that to discourage use/save energy?). The air/heat unit is an ancient wall mounted fan that is so noisy I did not sleep at all. Every few minutes it loudly click/clacked as it started up, and the motor made a loud noise throughout. On top of that, the building's HVAC plant was outside my windows, so the noise from all that added to the din. I got no sleep.

I was originally assigned the "executive" section, and I asked to be moved because the baths there are tiny, dark, with a bath tub and cheap fabric shower curtain. The rooms are bigger.

The "closets" are small free-standing cupboards. NO ice machines anywhere, although ice buckets were present. The carpeting in the corridors was stained, and the elevators were old, cheap, and scruffy.

Service was very good, although my key card didn't work, so I made trips back/forth. Didn't use the restaurant, but it's dark and not inviting. I wanted the "fresh" juice on the menu to take upstairs, but when the server held up the plastic jug of off-brand juice, I passed. The complimentary coffee in the lobby was very good. I didn't use the pool. The air conditioning seemed to turn on, but the room remained too warm and stuffy.

Wireless internet worked fine. Parking was convenient. Of all the amenities hotels list, my priorities are cleanliness, bed comfort, quality linens, a modern, clean bathroom with good lighting, and quiet so I can actually sleep in the room I'm paying for. This hotel failed on the sleepability, the lighting, the bathroom. If you advertise a rainfall shower, why don't any of them work??

Room Tip: Not sure it's possible, but ask for a room away from the HVAC rooftop plant. You might end up wi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 1happytraveler12
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We have enjoyed staying at the Hotel Hanford two different times in 2011.
Beautifully decorated rooms, quiet, fabulous shower - wonderful restaurant and bar area where you can just go sit and relax and eat appetizers. The customer service is #1 to them. Very nice, warm and welcoming personnel.
We'll stay at the Hotel Hanford anytime we are in that area of Orange County, CA.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SusieRussell
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I won't reiterate all the many positive things other reviewers have already said - (they are ALL true!). The room decor is unique and beautiful, in a subtle way that you cannot see in the internet photos. I loved the olive green velvet chair, the bed frame which was entirely enveloped in a golden bronze faux leather (i.e. plastic, which I liked because it looked upscale, yet is very cleanable.) The desk chair was super comfy, and there was even a huge ottoman for extra seating should you have an impromptu party. The pool is very large (one can actually do laps!) and they provide tons of chaise lounges, chairs, and four cabanas, all surrounded by palms and grass. Yes, it is too bad the pool is abutting a neighborhood, the closest home hosting a loud kiddie party in their inflatable pool while we were there, but for the price, I cannot complain.

Our lounge experience was not as wonderful - the food and my drink - bourbon Old Fashioned were disappointing...That aside, I don't think you could possibly find a nicer place to stay in OC - definitely not at this price point!

Tip - Seasons 52 is a wonderful restaurant, about 1/2 mile away in the parking lot at South Coast Plaza. Try the crab and shrimp stuffed mushroom appetizer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple