WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa

Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
“Nice quiet Hotel but bitten on charges”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I booked this room on business because it was close to John Wayne Airport and not a bad drive to the company I was visiting. The room was great, the bed comfortable and the staff very friendly and courteous. However when I checked out I noticed that I was charged $50 a night more for my 2nd, 3rd and 4th night stay over the booking rate I signed for. I stay exclusively at IHG hotels and book for business purpose at company rates and have never had my rate jacked on me before. I'll have some explaining to do to my company about the charges.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Bryan B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Bryan B,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
U.S.A.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I stay in Costa Mesa often for business as it is close to John Wayne Airport (7 minutes). Also close to Newport Beach for nice dinner options in evening.

I've gone back and forth between Holiday Inn Express and Best Western. Best Western has been consistently better, but always like the IHG points. But again this place fell short of Best Western.

The place was clean and updated. House keeping and grounds keeping are impeccable!!

Main reasons for dissatisfaction were 1) the guy working the desk the evening was just not welcoming. Maybe an off night for him (we all have those), but he is my second impression after walking up the building and seeing beautifully maintained grounds/ outside decor!! Just not as good as last time/ not welcoming feeling. 2) all chairs in the room were uncomfortable. The desk chair looked like the $30 desk chair you see at Walmart- cheap, flimsy, not comfy. The main upholstered chair was a 90 degree backed, uncomfortable chair. Maybe great for sitting on in a dining room or in an entry way while you put your shoes on, but nothing you want to sit in to relax and watch TV. 3) was the AC unit kicks out even though the room is still warm. Called the desk and "that guy" at the front desk said its an energy saving thing. I'm all for environmentally friendly, like turn it off when leaving the room for a few hours, I was uncomfortably warm. Also told the guy at the front desk that my window did not open, screen is busted blocking the window from opening at all.

Last time I stayed here it was good, but I had nicer people and more comfy chair.

I'm on the fence about coming back and trying again, or go back to the Best Western again????

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Surrey, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Well located just seconds off the 55 Freeway. Underground car park. Room was clean and functional. Beds fine. Breakfast was basic - I have had much better in similar budget hotels. There is some road noise but it's not too intrusive. Probably just about worth the money we paid - $115 a night for two of us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear BaggyQuin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We understand that having a comfortable stay is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,195 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa? Share your experiences!