“Good Food but Not a Good Value”

Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Steakhouse - Costa Mesa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 520 Restaurants in Costa Mesa

Good points:

1. Food ingredients are high quality & tasted very good
2. Atmosphere is great for entertaining guests & going on dates

Bad points:

1. For steaks ranging from $50-100, it's not worth it & we've tasted better at both the lower price range & similar range elsewhere
2. In 1 of the side dishes that was boxed & taken home, we found a small piece of metal! It looked like a metal string used to tie certain food together & was quite surprised a restaurant of this class can slip on potentially dangerous things like this
3. We were made to wait for at least 10 minutes for seats even though we arrived late at night & empty tables were to be found (only the pro-active help of a manager got us the attention needed)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

First of all, I rarely go to steakhouses as I rarely eat red meat. I was here for a business dinner and had the surf and turf and I have to say this was probably one of the best meals I have ever had! The steak was perfect and cut like butter. Drinks were exceptional! I loved the Lemon Drop Martini!!! Luckily, I did not see nore did I pay the bill but from what I have heard the prices are pretty steep, but it may be worth it if you don't mind spending over $100-$200 per couple.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I travel A lot and this is A good chain(almost). There is A problem here sorry but been there three times and not near the true Mastro's standard. Sorry, but that is what it was three times.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Absolutely Superb. We went in to celebrate our 35th anniversary. It was a tremendous dinner. I had the 22oz. bone in ribeye and my wife had the petite filet. We both agreed these were the two best steaks we have had. The service was excellent and it made for a wonderful celebration.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I went here for dinner before hearing the LA Phil perform across the street at the concert hall. We knew that this place would be good from the reviews, but were still blown away by how good it was in person.

My wife and I have been to many fine dining restaurants before, so we had expectations before we dined here. When we pulled up we were greeted by $6 valet service. We walked into a very hip, yet elegant entrance hall. Were seated at a nice table in one of the small dining rooms off of the main corridor. The mood was perfect and the service was friendly and punctual.

My wife and I enjoyed some cocktails; she had the house cosmopolitan with dry ice which made the drink smoke and bubble. We thought it'd be kind of cheesy, but it was actually pretty cool.

We started our meal with an abundant bread basket with some awesome choices, including an excellent pretzel bread. Then we followed that with Caesar salad. Those salads were really big, but were delicious. The croutons were great! Perfect crunch and excellent seasoning.

For the main course I had the bone in ribeye and my wife had the filet. Both were cooked to perfection and all the food came out piping hot!! They must have taken it straight from the grill to the plate to the table. The sides were family style and served table side, but the dishes were left so you could serve yourself another helping as you wished. I had the garlic mash, which were some of the creamiest I've ever had, and my wife had the Brussels sprouts. She said they tasted delicious, had some nice little char from the cooking and were very well seasoned.

Most of the food here is served in its virgin state; no sauces or other toppings. Just well prepared food that lets the natural flavors come out. The steaks needed no additional seasoning, even though salt and pepper are on the table. The natural juices and flavors of the steak took center stage.

We wanted to have dessert, but simply ran out of time. The service was perfectly paced, a little more leisurely than we would have wanted on that night, but perfect for a nice enjoyable meal. You didn't feel rushed, but also not forgotten.

My wife and I are looking forward to coming back here some other time when we don't have additional plans. This way we can enjoy an entire meal from start all the way through dessert.