“Fun Dinner Experience”

Marrakesh Costa Mesa
Reserve with OpenTable
Marrakesh Costa Mesa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 522 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 19 Street
Transit: Bust Stop
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Went here for a friends birthday dinner and had a really good time. The ambiance was cool with all of the drapes, rugs and pillows everywhere plus there was even a belly dancer going around to all the tables. I only ate the Hummus appetizer but it was probably the best I've tasted.

This place would make a fun date night.

1  Thank JJandAdice

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very disappointed in this place...

We had been here once before as a couple. The way this place works is it is a set menu that you can choose a main entree for. The first time we went, we each had our own meal and it was WAYY too much food. We were beyond stuffed and there was a bunch left over.

Fast forward to tonight, we brought a group of 8 to this place. And remembering how much food came with one meal we asked if it was possible to share. They said yes, and that there was an 8.50 split fee for this. We all agreed to split (so ordered 4 meals).

Whenever I have been to a place that has a split plate fee, there is always a reason for it, eg they give you extra side dish portions so each person gets enough food, or in the least they perfectly split your meal in half. So we logically assumed something like this was going to happen.

Imagine our dismay when we get our first course, soup and there are only FOUR cups of it (8 people remember). Please also note that for this cuisine, there isn't silverware to eat it, you drink it from the cup. So yes, we all had to share our cup with the person we were splitting our meal with...luckily we were mainly couples and didn't mind so much the sharing of the mouth region but that could have been awkward in other situations!

We thought that was lame, but kept going. And this is the start of every course where it was just one plate family style for all 8 of us to try to get a decent portion out of...Out comes our salad and it is a small plate with definitely not "four' portions of it... so we wound up asking for an additional plate of salad, because no one got enough at all.

They bring out the pastry thing and it is largish, but dividing that by 4 or 8 and you each get a very small portion...

Main course was really ridiculous. There was definitely not four meals worth of food for this course and everyone just got a tiny piece of meat.

By now we are feeling really ripped off and annoyed. We start joking that they are only going to bring 4 cups of tea out for all of us. We ask the waiter how much tea comes out and whatdoyouknow he says four. We asked for everyone to have a cup of tea.

So we paid about 35 dollars for this "split fee" and we don't really get what we were paying for... what was really insulting, is looking at other tables, parties of TWO were given the same amount of salad and pastry as the "four" (8) of us (I also recalled when we ate there before having about the same amount of food given to just the two of us...)! We shouldn't have even bothered ordering four dishes- we may as well have just gotten two and we would have still had the same amount of food! I mean why even have people order their own "meal" if every table is going to get the exact amount of food no matter how many people are at it? May as well just charge one flat rate or something! It would at least be more honest!

THEY ALSO CHARGED US AN ARM AND A LEG FOR THE EXTRA TEA AND SALAD.

We complained to the manager and he didn't care at all. I doubt they will care about my review either, but at least I can warn other unsuspecting people about this place. I will not support a business that basically tries their hardest to rip off their customers.

Luckily we are in OC and not a tiny town, so we have plenty of other options to eat at. We will never come back here, and will never recommend it to anyone.

6  Thank travelbug330
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This place is hit or miss.
The decore, resembling a tent is unique. It's usually empty enough so you get a private section, and you can relax and stretch your legs.
The B'stilla is great, and so is he couscous.
The main courses are sometimes good and sometimes not.

I personally don't like the belly dancer pulling people to their feet.

1  Thank SoCalJJ
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Marrakesh has a very limited menu, but what it does it does very very well. We last went there five years ago; that was a return visit, having enjoyed ourselves previously, and so we invited friends along. The service was dreadful and my wife vowed never to return. Once a year, I'd suggest we go back--"great soup, great salad, and they ought to have a food truck make the rounds each day just selling their chicken pastilla," and she'd always say no. Well, we went yesterday; the food was outstanding, the service superb. We'll only wait a few months to go back this time, not years. (Oh, did I mention the belly dancers?)

Reviewed February 1, 2012

Not everyone in my circle of friends likes this place, but I do. It's fun to have your hands washed, sit near the floor, and eat with your hands and watch belly dancers. It just is.