“Great southern food.”

Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Randolph
Description: Memphis Café is a Costa Mesa neighborhood mainstay in the heart of the SOBECA district. Soon after opening in 1995, Memphis Café received a 5 star review from LA Times food critic, Irene Virbilla, and has continued to earn critical acclaim and a loyal following ever since. Classically trained Chef and co-founder Diego Velasco has created a distinctive gourmet interpretation of Southern comfort classics with signature dishes such as the Down Home Gumbo, Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Seafood Jambalaya and seasonal specials sourced locally with naturally raised meats, seafood, poultry and produce. The roadhouse style bar at Memphis offers both classic call and crafted cocktails along with carefully curated beer and wine list. Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Memphis Café also offers vibrant late night entertainment Friday and Saturday.
Texas
“Great southern food.”
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Great southern food and a great atmosphere. Outdoor patio is small but big enough for a great time.

SoCal
“Mediocre food and oh so noisy!”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I love Southern soul food and this place has been around forever so I assumed they were doing it right. Maybe I hit it on an off night but it was probably the worst fried chicken I've ever had. Overcooked, dry flavorless served on an equally dry tasteless glob of mashed potatoes. Hubby's shrimp po'boy was adequate but nothing memorable. Our friend said her meatloaf was good. It's a small room with tables jammed close together and the noise level was unbearable. We had to shout at each other to be heard. And with the tables being to close together the waitress didn't have much room to maneuver so every time she passed our table she bumped into my chair which became extremely annoying. I'm usually pretty easy to please but this place was just a disaster all around.

• Visited April 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Drinks were great, food was okay.”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Came here on a whim after doing some shopping and browsing at the nearby outdoor malls. The interior was very small but nicely decorated and there is a great outdoor sitting area in the back which is where we sat.
I had the Ginger beer cocktail that was on special and the Bison burger. Both were very delicious - but to me I have never had a bad Bison burger! My colleagues had the brisket, which was a little dry, the mac and cheese which was good but very creamy and rich, and the fried chicken which my colleague said was nothing special. (nothing compared to southern soul cooking which Memphis is supposed too represent anyways) BUT the shoestring fries were addicting and reminded me of potato sticks I had when I was a kid. I would recommend coming here for drinks and apps or dinner but you may or may not have a great meal! I guess it all depends on what you order!

• Visited February 2012
Saronno, Italy
“Nice southern cusine”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stay in Costa Mesa a lot for business and I happen to be near the Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar. The place is nice but on the small side. The food is good but nothing special indeed. I tried the fish gumbo and was good but noyhing special. I was seated outside in a sort of tent which is not the best you can get, but the restaurant is really really small. Not my first choice in Costa Mesa, but still a good place to go.

• Visited February 2012
“Fun evening out!”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

No cover, cheap bar tab, and great music selection. Small, crowded but fun.

Visited July 2011