Ali Baba Motel
$149
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County(Costa Mesa)(Great Value!)
$98
$172
$147
  • Restaurant
BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Mesa Inn(Costa Mesa)(Great Value!)
$119
$80
BLVD Hotel(Costa Mesa)
$89
AscendHotels
Holiday Inn Express Costa Mesa(Costa Mesa)(Great Value!)
$102
$176
  • Pool
Costa Mesa Marriott(Costa Mesa)
$159
$127
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My title might seem like an oxymoron. How can this be a great place to stay if it is such a terrible motel? Because it is VERY cheap!

I arrived in town at about 3:00 AM, and just needed a place to sleep for a few hours. I wasn’t interested in paying the $100-$150 that other nearby places wanted. So, I looked for the worst place around, and I found this dumpy little motel. It was exactly what I wanted. I don’t remember exactly what I paid, but the price was really, really cheap and I even negotiated down a little.

The room was terrible, of course, which is exactly what I expected. You get what you pay for, and since I was only going to be there for a short time and I would be asleep anyway, I didn’t want to pay for much. This motel was perfect for what I wanted, and it completely met my expectations.

Having said that, if you are looking for a nice place, don’t stay here. Dig a little deeper into your wallet and get something nicer somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jim_and_Barbie
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Such an awful place. Paid 320 for 7 days then called in the morning on the 7th day to inform them I was checking out late. They told me I had to pay for another day. I said fine.

After arriving at my room it was locked and I couldn't get in. The shady business owner was standing nearby just to let me in. First of all, locking a tenant out of an apartment or hotel is illegal. What made me more angry was the thousands of dollars of electronic equipment that was mine that he had locked in.

I grabbed my stuff and stormed out refusing to pay. Also the electrical sockets are all faulty and are fire hazards. Leaky plumbing and unsanitary conditions as well. I'd give them zero stars if that was an option.

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank Mikestrip1
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Run down, shabby looking, a place where you would expect to feel things crawling across your feet. We were there just to visit someone when the manager called demanding $5 a head for having visitors. He then had the gall to knock on the door & demand the money! I'd rather sleep in the car than rent a room at that dump!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Michael H
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I saw this "mosque shaped" hotel for years and years, and figured it was a landmark and therefore expensive. It turned out NOT to be expensive, to be clean and comfortable, with over-sized rooms with plenty of space, microwave and small fridge--a good place to dig in affordably for a couple weeks, which is what I needed. It's a bit down at the heels, but clean and comfortable. I was there just before Halloween, and one night there was a big party in the next room (and spilling out onto the balcony)--despite a sign in the office saying "No Parties". When I felt it had gone on and never quieted down, I called the manager, and he settled them down--for an hour. It built up again, and I called him again, and he went tot he room and made them stop--threatening a call to the police. So I thought he handled it well. Internet is great at the front of the building, but definitely not reliable at the back--so if being on line is important to you, ask for a room at the front. Very nice family runs the place, makes you feel welcome. I plan to stay there next year when I go back to California.

Room Tip: If you wanrt super quiet, the back is great; if you want good wireless, choose the front (also quiet enough).
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank BevN233
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I've stayed here a number of times until I found the Fantastic Super 8 on Harbor Blvd. Nothing works in the room. The showers are terrible; furniture is usually broken, hot water intentionally hides from you, pool is off color; and the older man who helps run the place is like the motel gestapo. He gripes about everything. His wife and their children are very nice and accomodating however. Be sure to check the TV, the furniture and the hot water in the showers BEFORE you accept the room. They are rarely in good working order. Oh, from what I'm told, (no first hand knowledge), be sure to check out the county listings of the motels in Costa Mesa where they house people for various reasons. Stay away from here. Overpriced and underwhelming. Oh, one good thing: your car is safe and there is very little foot traffic cause the local police drive through on a frequent basis, if u get my drift.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo