All reviews newport beach great pizza napa valley free wifi clean place to stay security cameras basic amenities uber ride mini fridge short stay the air conditioning fashion island king bed john wayne airport freeway tv clerk
Reviewed January 25, 2011

This was my first time staying at a Motel 6 and it's actually pretty good, except for some of the dark hallways and somewhat rundown exterior. Rooms were clean, remodeled with laminate wood floors, bright wall colors, platform beds and a flat screen TV on the wall (no HD channels were offered however). The bathroom has a granite counter top with a raised sink and tile flooring. Plenty of free parking and free Wi-Fi was available.

The platform bed was comfortable enough and even though the linens and pillows were clean they were VERY thin. Only soap is provided in the bathroom so be sure to bring along your own shampoo. The towels were also small and thin. The air conditioning worked well and was relatively quiet and has a "fan only" setting to help block out any outside noise. Overall I slept fine here.

The only real disappointment was the somewhat rundown exterior of the motel. While the hallway outside my room looked new, the elevator and some of the other corridors and stairs looked old, dark and a little dirty.

This motel is located on busy Newport Boulevard in a residential neighborhood and the surrounding area seemed fine but it's not very scenic. The beautiful beaches of Newport Beach however are only a 10-15 minute drive right down Newport Boulevard. Lots of restaurants and fast food places are within a 5 minute drive in Costa Mesa, and there is a nice Starbucks about a block away.

Overall, this Motel 6 is fine if you're on a budget and looking for a clean place to sleep for a night or two.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank BeachBumChris
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I booked this hotel after reading the great reviews here...they were right. We were greeted by a very friendly man at the front counter- he even called up to our room after 5 minutes to make sure we were satisfied with our assigned room and asked if we needed anything else!!! I was in shock!

This redesign is a WINNER. Motel 6 has managed to create an IKEA version of the Standard Hotel for 1/5th of the price. The wood floors were AWESOME, especially for those of us that shiver when they think of what normally lurks in hotel carpets. The room is HUGE, has a large flat screen TV, table and chairs for breakfast, good sized empty fridge and a microwave. Everyone I saw had a dog, probably because pets stay for FREE. They have a pool too. They have even partnered with a local restaurant to provide a good room service menu! Love this hotel!

What you won't find:
-A hairdryer
-An alarm clock

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Laminate flooring makes this Motel 6 a cut above. You can tell it is clean. This is not a resort & it is not 5 blocks from the beach as stated by another review. Parking lot pool is clean, kids will enjoy. Walls are thin & you can hear your neighbors. We paid less than $70 over Thanksgiving weekend, a great rate. Wi fi is $3.00 per day. Free parking. Well lit. We will return.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I thought being a Motel 6 this would not be an awesome choice but as we were on a budget it was the logical choice.
I love the fact that it is near the freeway and a 15 minute drive from Disney Land!!!
It was perfect for our needs. The beach is only 5 blocks away and shopping in this area is Awesome!!!
The rooms were so fresh and clean and the hotel area is very safe!!!
The staff were great people so friendly.
I would say that the next time I go to California I will be staying here.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I chose this motel for my five-night stay due to the price and because it is within walking distance of a family member's house. I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a clean and simple room, newly remodeled in a modern style, with a big-screen t.v. Don't expect lots of "amenities" -- this is a comfortable place to sleep at a budget price in a very pricey area. However, there was a fridge/microwave in the room, which I didn't expect. The floors are not carpeted, I'm happy to say - hard floors, maybe Pergo type. (Motel carpeting is something I try not to think about. Ick.) I saw underground parking towards the back of the motel, but I didn't use it or ask about it. The young desk employee who checked me in was casual but friendly. For the rest of my stay the owner was in the office, and he was a sweet and kind man who made me feel like every customer is important to him. The only bad thing I can say about the service is that the morning coffee was dreadful -- not a huge surprise. (Never fear, espresso drinkers, Starbucks are in abundance in Newport.)

As far as location goes, it's a mixed bag. It's probably not ideal for most travelers (although it was perfect for me.) It's on the frontage road of the 55 Freeway, and it wasn't a quiet place to stay. (I just turn on the fan of the heat/cool unit for white noise.) The immediate neighborhood along the freeway is far from fancy, and as a solo female traveler I didn't feel comfortable walking around at night. A small grocery store is just a block away, but no restaurant nearby, so there isn't much reason to walk around at night. The motel itself and the parking area were fine and felt safe. There is nothing pretty to look at here - no view, no gardens, etc. This is not the place to stay if you're looking for a beach vacation or resort area.

On the other hand, if you don't mind driving you are within about five minutes of plenty of restaurants, shopping, etc. And you can be down at Newport Beach nearly that fast, with all kinds of food and fun. Ten minutes away is the Fashion Island center, if one is interested in more upscale food and retail, or movie theaters. Behind the motel is a pretty residential area, fine for a walk or a run, and a little further is the Newport Back Bay which has a few trails and a visitor's center for the nature reserve. (If you are traveling with kids who need a distraction, the visitor's center has nature activities and walks just for kids.) The Santa Ana/Orange County airport is maybe 15 min. away if you are flying.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo