“Basic accommodation...”

Motel 6 Newport Beach
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This time, I would like to share my recent experience in staying at Motel 6 Newport Beach in December 2013. I chose this motel because of its (good) reviews and the fact that it was on the way to San Diego. Upon my arrival in LAX, I spent few hours visiting few places in Orange County area before heading to this motel.

Later that evening, we both decided to to to Motel 6 after having our diner and check-in. It took us a little while before we found the motel although I used GPS to navigate us. We arrived and checked-in around 11:00 pm and when we arrived, we could see the outdoor parking lot was fully occupied so we had no hope in finding a room in the street level as we had requested.

We got our room upstairs in the back building. Our room was quite modern but in my opinion, it was not really clean as we could see clearly from its laminated (wooden) flooring. However, since we both stayed in the motel for few hours before leaving early the next morning, we did not bother to complain or request in having a room change.

Overall, I would personally see this motel as the similar properties owned and/or managed by Motel 6 across US. At the price I paid, I believe nothing to complain about. It was not really far off from Costa Mesa Shopping Center, approx. 15~20 minutes drive during normal traffic.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the street level if you have luggage
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bambang S
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Newport Beach

Reviewed February 8, 2014

So we were there for 10 days, it is our 2nd stay at this hotel. We remember having a great experience with this place so we came back. It is very reasonable for the price. Nothing fancy, but you have a clean room. There is TV (we were watching Big Bang Theory all the time) and also a refrigerator and microwave. Don't forget to bring your own soap, shampoo, dental paste, and tissue box. We did use the heater a bit because it was a bit chilly at night. We also brought our 2 little poochies. No extra charge. It was very convenient since it was next to a highway and also free self parking. Most of the time, we did not get stuck in traffic, which is great. There is also free wi-fi. We did use it all the time, it was a bit slow though. We were in room 305 and it was pretty noisy around us... The thin walls make us hear everything... like early in the morning as well as super late at night... that was a bit annoying. We hear the people talking, shutting the door, walking, so many noises! And 2 doors next to us, there was the housekeepers cleaning room so they were going in and out all the time and we could hear it. After 2-3 nights, we were thinking about switching rooms but then we were too lazy to pack all up and unpack again. I also needed to buy a mug and ustensil to have my beverages and food in my room. Like I told you, it is a very basic hotel. The bed and pillows were OK... don't expect a super fluffy pillow. They do have an outdoor swimming pool and hot tub but it was closed because it was kinda cold. We still did enjoy the place because we were out most of the day so we basically needed a good enough place to stay at night. Overall it was pretty clean and simple and it was good for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a QUIET room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mononoki
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed here for one night before the Surf City Marathon.Room was clean. Very basic , but clean. There was free WIFI, but slow and would disconnect many times. The room was good for the price especially since I just needed close place to crash before the race.If you're looking for a cheap place to stay this may be the place for you.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Jnfly84
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Room 403 is tiny but surprisingly quiet, considering it is directly above the office and right out on the main street. I could hear people knocking on the door of the adjacent rooms early in the morning, but I was awake already. Didn't use the WiFi. I would say this property is about in the 40th percentile of Motel 6's. Accor runs a decent hotel chain.

Room Tip: I bet the rooms are better in back
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank rtln
Reviewed January 15, 2014

It's what you would expect from a Motel 6...not too much. A very basic motel. Bring your own shampoo and hair dryer as the only thing they provide is bar soap and towels. There wasn't even any tissues. According to the other reviews, the back rooms are quieter. I wouldn't know. I had a room up front, and you can definitely hear the traffic going by. The walls are thin and the area looked rather suspect, but nobody broke into my car or anything. The wi-fi was annoying because you had to reconnect to it about every 5 minutes. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. Good place to stay if you're just looking for some place cheap.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank CKLEETX
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Clean, spacious, with comfortable bed. Room recently painted, in good repair. No extras, very basic but adequate. Room did have a refrigerator and a table with 2 chairs. WIFI was a pain and slow. We had to constantly log in because every time a device went to sleep, we would get logged out. Barely adequate to pick up email but not much more. Nonsmoking motel, a plus. The light was out around the TV unit and was fixed promptly the next day. Bring your own hair dryer or ask at the office for one as none in the room (hair dryer was clogged at the end and hadn't been cleaned, even when asked; they stared at me like they didn't know why or how to do it; we had to clean the lint ourselves to get more power). If you need a cheap place to stay and don't expect to spend time in the room, this will be fine.

Room Tip: Upstairs and away from road. The floors are wood (good) so you will hear footsteps above you (disadv...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Exactly what you would expect for a Motel 6. Cheap and affordable. Families make it pretty loud. The thin walls mean you hear everything. Plan on brining your own soap, towels and pillows, unless you can make do with the absolute basics. An honest motel a few miles from the beach that is good for families.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Days Inn Costa Mesa/Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Motel 6 Newport Beach? Share your experiences!