WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Motel 6 Newport Beach

Motel 6 Newport Beach
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Monterey,CA
“A good place for a clean room and good location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were in town for a funeral and it was near the church and the family home, with a little work on my part, like taking a hot pot so we could make coffee, plus our own cups and soft drinks. I must say the bed was very comfortable, and the AC was quiet , sleeping was great!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank chefsPGBrowns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We wanted a clean, comfortable, affordable place to stay in Costa Mesa for a couple of nights and this place fit the bill exactly!
Rooms are minimalistic but big, beds are comfortable and the bathroom spacious and practical. There is only a simple coat rack to hang some clothes; I would have liked a chest with drawers to put some things away. Now, I kept most of my things in the suitcase on the floor, which was just OK.
We asked for a room at the 3rd floor in the back, so we had no noise from the highway. But indeed the walls are paper thin. Our neighbor came to ask if we could turn the TV down a bit, because they had to get up early in the morning. So, be mindful of your neighbors with noise!

Parking was convenient; because of the subterranean garage, our car was always cool.
There is a laundry room, but the two machines were most of the time occupied and there is no machine for change. The receptionist is not very eager to give you change, so come prepared with quarters if you need to do some laundry.

Location was good, with a supermarket and some small restaurants within walking distance.
And last but not least: at reception there is a coffee machine, where you can get your daily dose!
All in all, this place is good value for money!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back, preferably 3rd floor, are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Evi55
Beverly Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Wow, I was SHOCKED at how great this place was. The room was huge (we had enough room for our blow up bed on the floor), I stayed there alone with my two sons and felt safe in this location, in spite of its freeway proximity. It is very close to Huntington Beach, only about 10 minutes, which is why I chose it. Also very conveniently located near any kind of shopping/restaurants you might want. The only problems: Our fridge didn't work (we had a cooler, I just kept filling it with ice from their ice maker, I didn't even tell them about it until the night before we were leaving and, to their credit, they came up right away and tried to fix it), and, bizarrely, when I went to do laundry, they have no quarters on hand! The guy in the office told me to go to the liquor store on the corner to get some... I think not. My kids pooled their change and we scraped together enough to finish one load and went to the bank to get a roll of quarters the next day. We were here for 4 nights (10 minutes from the beach, remember, with free parking and fridge & micro) and total bill was less than $300 (about $280, I believe). Outdoor pool was pleasant, kids enjoyed that the first day but then we were at the beach all the other days so didn't really use it again. Only other drawback was that the walls were really thin, we had a baby next door to us the first night and I thought we'd be treated to four nights of crying, but I think they checked out the next day because the noise didn't bother us after that first night.

Room Tip: We were on the top level in back which probably cut down on noise, also had nice big window overlook...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KEH65
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My first time at a Motel 6. I booked based on good reviews as I looked for a simple place to spend a couple nights. From check-in on, my experience was perfect. I could tell immediately that my room was super clean, plus the grounds and pool were as well. WiFi worked perfectly, so did TV, frig, microwave and the key cards. Not one single problem. Pure pleasure, I was in and out in no time, slept really good, felt completely safe... and was close to everything. The staff is super-friendly. All around highly recommended.
I did know that there will be no coffeemaker or shampoo/conditioner, so I came prepared. In all honesty, I'll take a clean and friendly place as this motel 6 without coffeemaker & shampoo over an unclean one with those things any time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Janina073
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

the room wasn't a typical motel 6, it was very modern looking, clean good service. i was very surprised on how clean the rooms were. However we ran into a couple problems. 1. We encountered many extremely slow internet connections during our 3 day stay. 2. Our room key did not work a total of two times and that means we had to walk all the way to the front office (which was quite a ways from our room) 3. the walls are paper thin and can hear people outside. If motel 6 fixes their internet problems and making sure room key works i will come back but i won't be coming back for a while.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nini0
Stockton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

First of all, remember this is a Motel 6, so do not judge it or expect it to be something it isn't. No amenities - but good price :) This particular Motel 6 is very clean, very comfortable, newly remodeled. The person (I believe may be the manager) who helped me a couple of times pre-trip and was also there to check us in the afternoon of arrival, was extremely helpful and pleasant on the phone and was very friendly when we checked in. Immediately offered anything we might need in the way of extra towels etc. We did not find any needs and our requests were all met pre-arrival. It is also nice that this Motel 6 has fridge and microwave. The TV screen was good size and the beds were very comfortable. The traveler pics on this site look very true to life. The floor is not carpeted, but a material that looks a bit like hard wood floors. I like this very much because it is easier to expect a very clean floor surface upon arrival, and I traveled with my cat, and it is easy for me to sweep up any tracked litter before I left, so the room is left in good condition. Our trip was a overnight mini-vacation and the property was very convenient to Newport Pier/Beach were we wanted to go, as well as to dining. It is also a very easy exit off of Hwy 55. We decided to check out South Coast Plaza and the property sat equal distance between the Mall and the Beach so this was also a pleasant surprise. All in all, I would recommend this Motel 6 to others desiring a similar visit to the Costa Mesa/Newport area. On additional pleasant surprise was the parking on site was very good and the property looked well maintained.

Room Tip: I was very please with the room that was given to me at random. I would think upstairs rooms would...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kathleen L
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Newly refurbed motel, about $10 dollar taxi ride into Newport beach area. Had to ask for more pillows. The fixtures and fitting are above standard for motel 6, overall a good base. For a great dinner try the blue water grill in Newport.

• Stayed April 2013