“Well treated, worth returning.”

Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I found the staff to be curteous, helpful and friendly and with the renovations the facility to be completely satisfactory. Their free breakfasts were simple but solid and the restaurant (only did lunch one day) had great service and the fare was first (I would suggest the ahi tuna with radish sprouts sandwich:this was melt in your mouth awesome. There are also a number of reasonably priced restaurants within easy walking distance as well with good eats. Rooms are good sized with a comfortable bed and reasonably fast internet. I give it an A+ for the overall experience.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed May 23, 2014

The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. The food was good and the room was clean and comfortable. The common areas were comfortable and surrounded in art work. Being so close to the airport and not far from Newport Beach, I would definitely stay here again for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Some rooms have jacuzzi tubs, if you are looking for that
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stay at the Ayres several times a year because of the convenience and the comfort. It is a great hotel and the staff is extremely helpful. The hotel is clean and comfortable and the restaurant is great. It is convenient to John Wayne Airport and shopping. Great place to stay, always my first choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have lived in this area on & off for many years and have driven past this hotel numerous times always wondering why people would stay there. It's located in a random place at the end of the John Wayne Airport takeoff runway and not really near anything noteworthy without having to drive there. This hotel seems to be frequented by airline pilots, flight attendants, business travelers and surprisingly quite a few families.When I found myself needing a place to stay that was close to my families home in Corona Del Mar I took a chance on the #1 Trip Advisor rated hotel in Costa Mesa and booked a junior suite with hotels.com. Upon arrival I was immediately impressed with the decor. It's very European with a nautical flare and features many framed photographs of what the area looked like 100 years ago. I really appreciated the photographs since I am from the area. Also, the art work and sculptures are exquisite. It's not your typical corporate cookie cutter art work. This hotel features some serious pieces some dating back to the Ming Dynasty. At check in they did not have my reservation and fortunately I had my hotels.com confirmation email on my phone and once a manager was called my reservation was finally located on the dark net or something. They booked me into a ground floor junior suite which is far superior to the higher floors because ground floor suites in building 2 all have private enclosed patios. Upper level rooms have no balconies and just a window that opens. Having the ground floor patio was key. The room was nice and well appointed. There were a few dead roaches, but that's probably because they had just sprayed for bugs. The king bed in our room had a massive camel hump in the middle which was remedied by flipping the mattress over which we did ourselves. The jacuzzi tub was awesome and worked quite well and the A/C blew ice cubes which was a big deal because it was over 100 degrees during our stay. The hallways are very wide and there is all kinds of common area seating. The courtyard and pool in building one were very nice. The pool in building two is marginal at best. The restaurant & bar at Le Chateau is obviously French and lives up to that image by being very deep colored and dark with a decent menu that was quite tasty. The shuttle service worked in our favor. We were able to get to our favorite sushi restaurant which was just barely within the 5 mile radius that the shuttle will take you. It worked out. We took Uber back to the room.
Now here's why it's a 3 1/2 star instead of a 4 star review. The hotel offers a complimentary buffet breakfast every morning and the food was actually quite good. French toast or pancakes, scrambled eggs,bacon, potatoes, juices, coffee, cereals, muffins and fruit. But you have to eat it in the dining room. They will not allow you to eat in your room. And when you ask Rosalio (who is a complete jerk) if you may take the food to your room he immediately gets defensive and indignant and says "if you want to eat food in your room you'll have to pay for room service" all the while belittling his chef Caley who couldn't have been sweeter. None of this would have mattered but we were traveling with our baby who was sleeping which forced my wife & I to have to eat separately and alone every morning for breakfast instead of being able to enjoy each other's company in our room. Rosalio wouldn't even let us bring cereal back to the room for our child. Not being able to take your breakfast to your room especially in a suite with a dining table is a policy that needs to change immediately. Other than that the hotel was quite accommodating with great room rates, free parking and free wifi and I might stay there again should the need arise and would recommend to fellow travelers with a few disclaimers. Thank you.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Matthew L
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed at the Ayres for a week while on a business trip. The shuttle to and from the John Wayne Airport was great and to be able to use the shuttle to anywhere within a 5 mile radius was also a plus. The rooms on the first floor were a bit noisy due to a group of fraternity guys there, so hearing doors being slammed continuosly and loud talking and laughing was not the best. Overall the hotel was convenient.

1  Thank lleeot
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear lleeot,

Thank you so very much for your honest review and please accept our sincerest apologies for your dissatisfaction. We truly try our best to above and beyond to please our guests and are truly sorry if you did not have a comfortable stay. We are always more than happy to move guests to a more suitable room should we be made aware of the problem. We hope this has not soured you on our hotel and that we will still have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Susan O'Brien- Moore

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed at the Ayres hotel in Newport Beach for a conference and while I normally don't review this kind of hotel, I felt I should because of its overall excellence. The staff is very professional and kind, the hotel is elegant and in great taste. The rooms are large and quite new with good furniture, linens, etc. If you go to UC-I or need to stay in the area, I can't think of any better place to do so. Also, the breakfasts are abundant and the lovely courtyard is a great place to eat.

Room Tip: We liked being on the top floor overlooking the pool -- we were in room 324.
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I have stayed at the Ayres in Costa Mesa many times. It is much better than anything in the area and surpasses many hotels in its price range nationally and internationally. The rooms are large and comfortable with lots of extras. Breakfast is of especially high quality. It is well located.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quitter, but it is a long haul carrying bags
1  Thank Helen M I
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Helen M I,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a review about your experience with us! We would also like to thank you for your loyalty to our hotel. It truly pleases us to hear that you believe our hotel is so wonderful compared to those in the area, and it is such an honor that you think so highly of our services at both a national and international level. We honestly cannot thank you enough for all the great things you had to say about us. We hope to see you again soon!

Susan O'Brien- Moore

Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach
Best Western Plus Newport Mesa Inn

Been to Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach? Share your experiences!