“Disappointing experience at this Ayres location”

Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Central PA
“Disappointing experience at this Ayres location”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed at this Ayres Hotel the night before flying out of John Wayne Airport. It also happened to be the night *after* we stayed at the Ayres Hotel in Laguna Woods. I have to report that this location suffered by comparison. The air traffic from the airport is loud. On the Friday night we arrived, the hotel seemed packed--very hard to find a parking space, and loud parties/meetings seemed to be going on in and around the pool courtyard, with the noise sometimes seeping into our room. We found the back door to the hotel propped wide open when we finally found a place to park and brought our luggage in. At about 9 p.m., the guests above us returned to their room and ran around endlessly (kids? drunk adults? who knows?). We finally just put our ear plugs in and went to sleep. While the room and furnishings were nice, you could tell that they had been hard-used (unlike our experience at the Laguna Woods location) and the room layout seemed odd to me (walking right into the bar/sink area).

We left too early to partake of the breakfast, though there were some pastries out at 5 a.m. when we checked out. On the plus side, the hotel is very close to the airport and a pretty good value, I felt. It's also close to several gas stations if you have to refill your rental car. Just don't expect a lot of quiet here--it definitely seems like a busy place.

1 Thank LiberryLady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed at Ayres for a 2 day conference hosted by the California Consortium of Education Foundations. I represented the Castillero Middle School Education Foundation as incoming President. I was VERY pleased with hotel experience.The customer service is the best I've experienced to-date and I have some travel experience. Staff are pleasant, responsive, considerate and courteous. Rooms are designed to today's trends, with flat screen tvs, wet bar and fridge; are clean, well furnished, designed for comfort and hallways are well lit and wide. Elevators are quiet and smooth ride. I really like the modern mediterranean 'look', colors and feel of the whole hotel. I like the indoor/outdoor enclosed garden and outdoor courtyard with the well-maintained table top accents (herbs in pots!) I did not have time to use spa so can't evaluate. I wish I brought camera to take photos of the garden and the decor of the foyer etc. Shuttle to and from airport and conference site was very efficient. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms were part of conference group rate, but I think worth it!
Green Features: The use of herbs in outdoor garden was nicely done and well maintained. Sorry don't have photos, but wish I took some of the outdoor courtyard flowers, etc. Very 'english garden-like'
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Fresno, United States
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This Hotel is very nice, clean, and a little different in then your normal hotel. The difference is that the property is beautiful, the courtyards, pools, lounge are all very nice. The staff is over the top, will trained and very professional.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Ayres Hotel & Suites. They were very accommodating, helpful and the breakfast was full and delicious. The rooms were comfortable making my stay like a home away from home. The workout facility was good too. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The room with a couch is helpful for business or study work!
Green Features: The hotel was close by many things-if you have a car. If you don't, the hotel shuttle is helpful, but schedule it in advance!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Fresno, California
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We love staying at the Ayres Suites, Costa Mesa. It is close to shopping and everything in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa. It has a great breakfast and good parking. The price is very reasonable and it has a feel of a boutique hotel

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My fabulous experience began before I even arrived, and my visit was on a whim. I made my reservation Wed. night for a Fri. arrival, then invited my sister to join Thurs. morning. She said yes, so I called the hotel to amend the reservation, and Gina was very nice and accommodating. She was able to get us 2 queens instead of the 1 king bed even though they were pretty full.

We ate in the restaurant Friday night, and the food was fabulous!! It was supposed to be a 1-night stay, but Saturday morning we decided we weren't ready to end our mini-vacation yet. The front desk was able to accommodate us again, and we stayed in the same room. The hotel is conveniently located within a few miles of both South Coast Plaza and the Irvine Spectrum, so we had plenty of dining and shopping options. We discussed going to a different restaurant for dinner Saturday, but in the end decided to go back to the restaurant on site. Dinner Saturday was just as good, if not better, than Friday night!

Lancaster, California
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was clean, quiet, and comfortable. I actually bumped up my rating one star simply because of the restaurant on site. To respond to a few other previously mentioned problems...yes, parking is limited and due to the prevalence of SUVs, the larger spaces are full way before evening arrives...but it's free. Adapt. Stay in. Enjoy the lovely hotel you're paying for and go to the Chateau for dinner. The free breakfast is also a very nice plus. It gets the job done, and if you're traveling with kids, it's very convenient.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear formerlocal,

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are so very pleased to see that our on-site restaurant helped improve your overall experience here. It is nice to see that you were able to thoroughly enjoy the hotel during your visit, especially in terms of the complimentary full American breakfast buffet. We hope to see you another time soon and thank you again for taking the time to leave a positive review on TripAdvisor to let others know about your experience here.

Susan O'Brien-Moore
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,401 reviews
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach? Share your experiences!