“Stay here when in the Costa Mesa-Newport Beach area”

Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed here in mid-March 2012 for two nights when I had some business matters in the Costa Mesa. I selected the Ayres Hotel & Suties in Costa Mesa on the basis of what I saw on the Internet, these reviews, and because the price seemed affordable especially when it included breakfast. I booked a Deluxe Room and checked in about 15 minutes before check-in time. I was immediately upgraded to a Jr. Executive Suite ... without asking. My room was on the second floor of the Suites Building, with an east-facing view of the airport. The room was clean, well appointed, comfortable, and, simply put, lovely to be in. Some reviews complained about airport noise, so I was waiting for it to materialize: It turned out this was a complete non-factor. Basically, what did the trick for masking any outside noise that might have existed was the "white noise" emanating from the A/C system mounted underneath the window. It is the sort of A/C system that, once it's turned on, emits a constant, quiet, steady, easily forgotten, but effectively noise-masking fan sound. If you are the kind of person that requires absolute, unadulterated, pristine silence from your hotel, then stay somewhere other than a city or suburban hotel. But I sleep best with "white noise" anyway, and actually brought along my own "white noise" machine, but never used it in my Ayres room. I didn't need it. Oh, and the breakfast? Muy deliciouso! Another plus: When I asked the concierge about renting a car, he recommended the car rental operation located in the lobby of the nearby Travelodge (walking distance from the Ayres). It was a good lead: For $40 a day, I rented a 2010, 4-door, Toyota Corolla automatic with A/C and 35 MPG to get me around town. So, my stay at the Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa was an A+, five-star experience. I will stay there again and recommend it to my family and friends.

Room Tip: The rooms have a refrigerator and microwave. You don't have to eat out for every meal.
3  Thank Brent T
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Dear Brent -

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review of Ayres Hotel & Suites Costa Mesa and for choosing our hotel for your stay. We know you have a range of choices in the Costa Mesa area so it is wonderful to know that you chose us. I am pleased that your welcome was so warm and your accommodations so comfortable. The guest experience is of the utmost importance to us so it is always a pleasure to hear that we have made a guest's stay thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you again for taking to time share your comments on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Safe travels,

Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed one night at Ayres Hotel in March 2012. This is an independent hotel with two main buildings. Check-in was quick, efficient and friendly. My room was located in the second building on the second floor in a quiet location. The large room was somewhat traditionally decorated and included a couch, several chairs and free wireless. During my stay at the hotel, I never heard any noise in the hallway or outside my window.

Overall, the room was very comfortable if not exactly cozy. The bed was firm and of good quality. I didn't have to push 67 pillows out of the way to pull back the covers, which was much appreciated. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the wall mounted ventilation unit. This one was not as noisy as some I have experienced, but it did have that problem of making things comfortable while it was running, followed by a somewhat stuffy still feeling after it shut off. I woke up at 2:00 AM feeling things had gotten stuffy. A colleague stayed at the hotel at the same time I did, but when I asked him if the wall unit bothered him, he indicated it did not and that he slept great. So I may be more sensitive to this issue than most people.

The hotel offered a very nice free breakfast in the morning, much more on par with a Marriott Courtyard with a food preparer and fresh eggs, etc., rather than like a Holiday Inn Express with an attendant keeping inexpensive food items stocked.

I can recommend this hotel for anyone needing to stay in the Irvine, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear Ted_Fez -

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your stay and for your very thorough review. It means a great deal that we were able to provide you with the amenities, service and accommodations that made your experience as comfortable as possible. There is no higher honor for a hotel than a guest recommendation so I am beyond thrilled that we were able to make such a positive impression on you. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed at the Ayres Hotel & Suites for three nights at $129 per night. Since the price is so good, I don't really have many complaints, although I wouldn't be happy if we were paying more than that. The layout is much like an Embassy Suites (for the suites, not the individual rooms), although not nearly as nice. We weren't able to check in early, and the room wasn't even available until 30 minutes past check-in time, which is really not acceptable. When we finally did check in, there was an industrial sized fan blowing on the carpet, which was soaking wet. Apparently the previous guest had spilled something on the carpet. I had to call the desk to remove the fan, and the carpet was wet all weekend. But we couldn't even hear the TV or ourselves talk over the noise of the fan so we really had no choice.

There is a workout room, although it is tiny and extremely crowded if there is more than one person in there.

The included breakfast was quite good and the ambiance of the breakfast room was very nice.

There is absolutely nothing in the immediate area, so you need a car if you stay there.

I'd stay there again because of the price, but I didn't find it very impressive.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed one night (4 of us) and the stay was very plesant. Nothing to complain about. Clean room, great breakfast and good front desk service.

Room Tip: For a family, 2 quuen double beds are great.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Dear Plassey60 -

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Our ultimate goal is to provide our guests with an exceptional and flawless hotel experience, so it is wonderful to read that we were able to meet this very high standard. Perhaps on your next visit you will have the opportunity to dine at the award winning Le Chateau, our on site restaurant. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

First time to stay at an Ayres hotel...it was wonderful...the hotel had the look of a European facility, with many portraits and wall hangings from the Renaissance and other periods. Glass cases exhibiting sailing ships embellished the ambiance. A fire-place with a delightful fire was a great setting to drink Boodles (gin) and Tonic and relax after a busy work day. The suite was large, comfortable and inviting. The large bathtub had six jets that all worked perfectly, providing and excellent massage. The radio was in perfect working order and the tones of symphony was great. The staff was friendly, the free breakrast was grand, and my overall experience was excellent. I shall gladly return. No. 1 in my experience.

Room Tip: ask if an upgrade is available
1  Thank MrGentleIrvine
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Dear MrGentleIrvine -

Thank you for your very kind review and for choosing our hotel for your stay. I am thrilled that we left such a positive impression on your first visit to an Ayres Hotel. It is fantastic to hear that each of the amenities and accommodations offered provided you with such a comfortable and convenient hotel experience. Hopefully we have turned you on to the Ayres chain and will see you back very soon. Thank you again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2012

I was here on a business trip and it was a great location. Close to the beaches and attractions around Orange County. Although in the immediate area there isn't anything to walk to. Need a car. The planes are a nuisance however I was gone most of the day and it didn't bother me. It's not like the planes are taking off every couple of minutes. They are spread out. The breakfast and amenities are great although did not see the work out room. Why work out in a room when you can go down and run at the beach? Very nice hotel and good value for a business trip. Not sure I'd book it for a vacation though.

Room Tip: Book the Junior Suite. Not much more and a much nicer room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Dear Rowlett9105 -

Thank you for your candid and kind review of our hotel. It was wonderful to welcome you as our guest, and I appreciate you taking the time to let others know about the hotel. As stated, we are centrally located to many Orange County attractions, but we do also offer shuttle service to anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel, which makes for easy travel to nearby business, restaurants, and shops such as South Coast Plaza. I am pleased that the breakfast and accommodations were to your liking and hope on your next visit you will have the opportunity to check out our fitness room, which is located in our suites building. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

We had an amazing stay at this hotel! The rooms are incredibly clean, the staff is helpful and the property is beautiful. The price was fantastic for what we got. The restaurant was compatible to the nicer ones in Irvine and was delicious. The only odd thing is that there is a piano that is only for show which is bizarre. The airport is close by but the planes do not fly during the night.

Room Tip: First floor was a great location!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2012

Dear Sunshine908 -

It was a pleasure having you as a guest of our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers. It is wonderful to hear that you found the dining at Le Chateau as well as the cleanliness and accommodations so agreeable. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach
Best Western Plus Newport Mesa Inn

Been to Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach? Share your experiences!