“Hotel Was Perfect For Family”
Review of Marin Suites Hotel

Marin Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Corte Madera
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I have two teenage boys. When we travel, we need two bedrooms and like to have a kitchen. The Marin Suites Hotel was perfect for us. We had two large bedrooms, with flat screen TV's in each room. The kitchen was great for preparing snacks and storing leftovers from restaurant visits. The morning breakfast provided by the hotel was very nice and saved us a lot of time and money.

The hotel is close to the Larkspur Ferry , which we took to San Francisco a couple of times. Beautiful ride and not expensive.

The hotel is also close to the Sonoma wine country. We drove to Sonoma and Santa Rosa and had a nice time visiting both cities and a few wineries.

We will be back!

Mike and Mary Anne

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Matthew A, Director of Sales at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2016

Thank you for taking the time with your review and sharing your experience.

We apologize for the delay. As the Director of Sales, it is very important that I follow up and read all of our reviews. We realize you have choices when choosing a hotel. We appreciate having the opportunity to be your lodging partner when you are in the area.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Marin Suites Hotel is a study in superlatives. The room was spacious and included a full kitchen, dining area, large living room and a large bedroom. There was a large pool and at one end a room they called a Sanctuary which was a casual lounge area with a large fireplace. The breakfast area featured a wide variety of hot and cold breakfast foods, all complimentary.

Next time in San Francisco, I will consider staying here and commuting every day to the city.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2011

LOCATION - The location of the Marin Suites Hotel was exactly what we wanted when traveling on this particular vacation. It was central to many of the places we wanted to visit. It is not far from downtown San Francisco, or Napa. Great location - as advertised.

HOTEL CONDITION - A big minus was the lack of air-conditioning in the rooms. I understand how cool the evenings become, but the daytime is equally as warm. The rooms were clean (enough), but in disrepair. There is much work and updating that needs to be done.

A big plus - the amount of space! We had a 2 bedroom suite. The amount of space was amazing. We traveled with "Grandpa" who enjoys company, but also needs that bit of alone time away from all of the younger kids. The bedrooms were equipped with a queen sized bed, dresser, and flat-screen TV - for a total of 3 television sets in the suite! The kitchen and separate dining area were great too (minus a partially working stove and limited service ware). The sofa pulled out to a bed - which gave us room for 2 more to sleep.

OUTSIDE AREA - Beautiful. The salt-water pool was warm and amazing. I loved swimming in it every night before bed. My husband enjoyed his morning swim as well. The cool temperature outside did not matter - the water was warm and welcoming! The 12 person whirlpool spa was also wonderful. They did not charge for parking (if you could find a place), which is also a big plus. I could not believe how many hotels charged for parking when booking my trip. The Sanctuary and Courtyard with fire pit was a quiet place to relax (just as the website says). There were two grills in the courtyard, which we used as a break from the kitchen one night.

BREAKFAST AREA - I was satisfied with the quality of breakfast. There was coffee, juice, pastries, waffles, fruit, cereal, bagels, yogurt, and toast. It was a nice break from cooking our meals. =)

SERVICE - AND THE SERVICE...Hopefully, you didn't need anything after housekeeping staff left for the day; because, you weren't going to get it from anyone in the office! We had 6 people in our room - with table service for 4. I asked housekeeping the day I checked in to get more plates, forks, etc...and on day 4 when we left...still no extra service. We asked the front desk - well, "housekeeping is gone for the day", was their brilliant and helpful response! We ended up buying plastic forks and spoons along with paper plates.

NON-SMOKING??? - The entire hotel was a non-smoking hotel. This is a very important quality to me, since I have asthma and allergies. Now, I was thrilled to see that this was a non-smoking facility. However, the first day there (after discovering there was no air-conditioning) I opened all of the windows to let in the cool air, and was overwhelmed with the smell of smoke coming from someone outside of my window. Easy fix, right? Wrong. I could not just close my windows, or I would suffocate from the heat since there is no air-conditioning in the facility. But, we closed the windows, aired out the hotel, and tried again later when we were all restless from the heat. Rinse. Repeat. We complained to the front desk, but there wasn't much they could do since we didn't know the culprit. I could go on a 2 hour diatribe of the inconsiderate smokers, but I digress.

2  Thank B_Kelly3
sscheck, General Manager at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate all of your comments – both the good and the constructive. We do pride ourselves in our fabulous amenities, many which you did mention. I do apologize for the response you received from the front desk staff regarding both the smoking and the housekeeping issue – we just hosted a front desk service training to ensure this issue does not happen again. There should have been a better response in both cases and ensure you that this is our standard. Because we are a non-smoking hotel, we do ask that those who do smoke be at least 20 feet away from the building to avoid disturbing other guests. I will also be addressing your concern as mentioned above with the housekeeping department. Thank you again for your thoughtful comments – we indeed need to hear true guest feedback in order to ensure the best guest quality and satisfaction. I look forward to your next visit to the area and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We spent a couple of nights at the Marin Suites hotel earlier in the month and would recommend this place to anyone and everyone! The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable (our family members in another room did have an issue with their room facing the highway and the noise but still enjoyed it). Nice pool area, grill and outdoor eating area and the sanctuary was fabulous!!!

Best part - the breakfast that was included: cereal, hot waffles, french toast, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, coffee & juices, muffins, danishes....and on and on and on!

Honestly, a great place and it didn't break our budget either!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I had to review this hotel after reading somewhat decent reviews. I stayed here for 3 days.
I'll be nice and start with some positives. The hotel is a decent location depending on what you want to do. You can stay in San Francisco if you want to spend most of your time there for just a few dollars more...I've done it multiple times. I had to stay here because of a wedding party I was with. There are a few restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance which was nice.
Now the truth. The worst part was the mildew smell in the room. I quickly realized this was due to the massive water stain at the front door. There was a large gap in the door and rain just comes right in. Proof is in my uploaded picture. The first call to the front desk was, "sorry, we have no more rooms available. Open up your windows." This hotel does not have air conditioning in any room which usually isn't a problem however it was above 80 degrees in the room when we were there. The rooms are old, hotel is old, bathrooms are old...and it shows. The toilet had to be manually fixed each time it was flush. The chain kept catching. Calling the front desk didn't help since they told me that is just how a lot of them are. Since there is no air, windows must be kept open. The freeway noise that most of the rooms have a full view of was extremely loud. This hotel boasts about it's free internet. Out of the 6 people in our group, nobody was able to say it worked even close to consistently. My room was in the corner and we couldn't even pick up the signal. Another call to the front desk was unsuccessful as they stated that it didn't work when lots of people are staying at the hotel. They stated that there was no solution and after I told them I needed it for work, the lady literally hung up on me. I've stayed at 100's of hotels and this was the second worst free breakfast I've seen. It is cereal and cheap bagels. You could make your own waffles but there were so many people trying to eat the only good thing there that the wait for the waffles was too long.

2  Thank TravelerBBB2003
sscheck, General Manager at Marin Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I wanted to personally apologize for the experience you had during your stay – this is not a typical experience of one of our hotel guests nor is it acceptable. Upon receiving the review, we immediately inspected the room and promptly called in our maintenance crew to replace the carpet and fix the other details you mentioned. I am most disappointed with the way the Front Desk agent handled the challenges you faced – we at the Marin Suites pride ourselves in giving exceptional guest service – and this obviously was not the case in this situation. We will be addressing this issue with the entire Front Desk staff to ensure that this does not happen again. We do not have wireless internet access issues when the hotel is full – this was misinformation – and again, training will be given to this associate to properly handle such a call in the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2011

This is a good location in Marin County. It is right on 101 but the freeway noise is no bother with the windows closed. It's great because you can jump on and off the freeway easily.
The bed is nice and I would say the furnishings are okay. It is a little dated but I am happy to have a room in corte Madera in the middle of July.
I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Small vanity in Bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I booked the Marin Suites Hotel because it was cheaper than staying in San Fransisco wharf area and it is just across the Golden Gate Bridge. It appears that the hotel is a renovated apartment building but don't let the fact that the doors open to the outside make you think "motel". We had a one bedroom suite. The bedroom had 2 queen beds and the living area had a pullout couch. They also offer 2 bedroom suites. It has a full kitchen and dining area. The furniture was fairly updated and it had a nice flat screen TV. I have 5 in my family and the extra space was welcomed. The worse part was the bedroom and bathroom doorknobs were cheap and would get stuck. The pool was nice and they also had a place called the "sanctuary," an outdoor seating area in a breezeway with a fireplace and flat screen TVs. Breakfast was a typical hot & cold item variety-waffles, bagels, cereal, fruit, juice, etc. I saw maintenance people on the grounds taking care things. The location is close to Suasalito where there is a lot of shopping and a marina and beautiful views. Also it is close to Muir Woods where the redwood trees are. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: When booking the hotel gives you an option to pay $5 more a night to upgrade your room to a 2 bedroo...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corte Madera
5 mi away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael

Been to Marin Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!