“A great find”

Ranked #38 of 105 Restaurants in Coronado
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We could not get into Leroys on a saturday night so we wandered down the street and found Costa Azul. We had a good meal with excellent service.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We happened into the Costa Azur on our first afternoon in Coronado. We chose seating on the terrace. Staff was very attentive and service was excellent. Chips were extremely crispy and as another reviewer mentioned the salsa was very thin and spicy but I thought it was very original and different - not the usual Mexican fare so for me it was a plus. The Skinny Tacos were excellent - serving swordfish on romaine lettuce leaves rather than tacos is perfect. Not a high end fancy meal but delicious and enjoyable.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I eat at a lot of Mexican restaurants and I make my own Mexican dishes. I prefer the more upscale Mexican cuisine, not the greasy spoon variety. The chips were OK but the salsa was too spicy and thin. We ordered the chile relleno and it consist of two roasted peppers stuffed with chicken and cheese with a drizzle of red sauce over top along side some rice and beans. At most Mexican restaurants the chile relleno's come prepared with the peppers being battered and fried with the cheese or meat inside. I don't mind the occasional change but these peppers didn't even taste cooked and the chicken that was inside was extremely dry and tasteless.

The service was fine and the atmosphere is pleasant but the chile relleno, bland beans and rice and spicy thin salsa has left an undesirable taste in my mouth. This poor rating is based on my one time experience at this restaurant and so because of that I doubt I will choose to come again. Maybe part of the problem is that they are not a true Mexican restaurant, they serve Burgers, Barbeque, Fish and Chips and Fettuccine in addition the the Mexican items and thus may not have a good Mexican cuisine focus.

3  Thank misplaced
Reviewed August 21, 2013

OK, I don't usually complain about something so minor, but I am a hot sauce fanatic so here it is. Had lunch at this great little Mexican restaurant on Coranado, sat outside as the weather was great and it was fun to watch the traffic. I had the chile verde and my wife a burrito, both of which were quite good, as were the drinks, margarita and mojito (little too sweet though). I asked for hot sauce and was told they had none; how do you have a Mexican restaurant with No hot sauce?? Finally after some prodding I found they had Tabasco and Chululu, so something anyway. People, get a clue, a Mexican restaurant needs good hot sauces, at least one habanero sauce. There are us individuals who crave this and your choices are more like food color than heat.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stopped here for lunch on our bike ride around the island. The patio atmosphere was Ok but had uncomfortable chairs and the service from our waiter was disappointing. Although all the other tables in the place were empty (that should have told us something), the waiter just stood there for a long time instead of waiting on us. When he finally did, he was not very friendly and we had to wait quite awhile each time we needed more service, while he just stood around. The food itself was pretty good: ordered two different kinds of burritos and the ingredients seemed very fresh, although my vegetarian could have used more flavor. They were also full of raw onions, which is a personal dislike for me. I give them fairly good marks for their burritos but the service was frustrating.