“Disappointing!”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 101 Restaurants in Coronado
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Orange Ave.
Transit: Metrolink
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.
Chula Vista, California
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Came here for a romantic Friday night dinner with my boyfriend. The hostess greeted us, asked if we had reservations. We said no (we didn't make any as my boyfriend was flying in.), she said, seat them at Table XX.
Our server was a really nice, attentive gal. Our table for two was directly across from the kitchen door. Not only was the legroom sparse for my boyfriend, it was really hard to have a conversation with the constant thump, thump, thump of the door and the non-stop clinking and clanking of pots and pans. When we were seated, there were other tables available so I don't understand why we were given the worst table in the house! We tried to make the best of it.
I got up to use the restroom. One of the toilets wasn't working so I told the hostess. There was quite a long line!
Dinner was fine- I'd give that a 3 star. Both our entrees were good, but not fantastic.
Since we had front row seats to the kitchen area I noticed a couple things. One of the other servers picked up some trash from the floor but then immediately picked up someone's just prepared plate to deliver. The other observation was one of the server's sneezed- again immediately picked up a just prepared plate. Neither server washed their hands before picking up the food plates. I don't expect that at any restaurant, let alone one that I am paying 25 bucks an entrée for!

After dinner, I again used the ladies room- this time my stall had absolutely no toilet paper, the empty roll was on the floor! Not something I'd expect in such a nice restaurant. The toilet that was out of commission- no sign posted in the interim hour. I again told the same hostess about the lack of toilet paper.
I had never been to this restaurant and looked forward to a nice, romantic dinner. That didn't happen. Very disappointing. I would not recommend!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Momplayinghookie

• Korean first
La Mesa, California
“wouldn't come again”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Came here with my husband and one year old son to celebrate my birthday and would not come back. I ordered the Capellini al Pomodoro, it was very dry even though the description said it was angel hair pasta WITH marina sauce. My husband ordered Conchiglie al Pollo and did not care for the taste. Our son was with us but apparently because we didn't pick up a kids menu it was okay to ignore him. Our waitress did not check up on us that much and a lot of our service was from other random servers (I would say they had too many guests dining and not enough servers) on top of that we were sitting next to a service station (where waiters can print checks etc) and we were close enough to the station that we got to enjoy the conversations from the staff, including one waitress who stood and complained about how she got to work early and was then asked to clock in early. When our waitress did stop by she said sorry every time, not sure what she was sorry for the lack of service, the poor food, or both. When it came time to pay the bill we used a gift card and there was less than $10 left on the card so we asked for the remainder in cash and our waitress said no. After my husband explained that CA law required it she said she had to get a manager. 5-10 minutes later the manager showed up with the refund from the gift card and promptly left.
Don't waste your money unless you want the view just go to Olive Garden for better food and service.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ducky89
Luca A, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Ducky89,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and give us your feedback from your dining experience at Il Fornaio. I apologize for the problems you encountered with your entrees and poor service. I would like to assure you that these were isolated incidents and we will take all of the necessary steps to ensure that no one will encounter the same disappointing experience.

Our goal at Il Fornaio is to provide the best possible experience for all of our guests from authentic Italian cuisine to five star service. We understand that food quality and efficient service are essential to achieving this standard.

I would appreciate the opportunity to show you the real Italian hospitality by inviting you to return to Il Fornaio as our guest. Please contact me to make your reservation so I can arrange to meet you in person. I am looking forward to speaking with you soon.
Central Wisconsin
“A PERSONAL TOUCH!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The experience at this restaurant was wonderful! Our waiter took special interest in our needs, and made sure we had a pleasant dining experience. Outdoor dining provided a beautiful city-skyline view. The Italian food was delicious.

• Visited September 2013
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Great service, great food and a great view - what more can you ask for?”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a lovely Italian restaurant on the water in Coronado. They have an extensive wine list and a wonderful menu. Appetizers are large enough to serve as an entrée. Oh, and the desserts are terrific! We sat outside on a lovely Saturday afternoon and watched sailboats and bicyclists go by.

Visited August 2013
San Diego, California
“great views and food”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have really enjoyed numerous times the restaurant IL Fornaio in Coronado. It hads great views of downtown San Diego skyline (evening is better) , great food and wine and it is a little pricey but well worth it. If you are looking for that special romantic spot in San Diego, I highly recommend this.

• Visited October 2013

Been to Il Fornaio? Share your experiences!