“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Burlington, Canada
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

I stayed with my family - 2 boys ages 8 and 15 and we just loved it. It was very close to San Diego and all the attractions yet at the end of the day you were back at a beach resort. It is only a 3 min. drive to downtown Coronado which is beautiful. We had contemplated staying in downtown SD but I am really happy I spent a few more $$ and stayed here. The rooms are large and nicely decorated. The 3 pools, games (ping pong, tennis, gym) easy to access from all rooms. There were activities for the children by the pool and for families in the evening. The staff were very friendly and helpful. A very nice resort and I would definitely stay here again. Burlington Ontario

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
KathleenCochran, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
We are so delighted to hear your stay was great! Please feel free to contact me personally to arrange for your return visit.
Thanks again.

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

I intended to propose to my fiance at Loews Coronado. I called the concierge to make some arrangements. The hotel is very old and feels like they slapped some lipstick on a pig and tried to call it new. A perfect example of this is the fact that there are no fans in the bathrooms. The pool looks like it is straight out of the 70's.

It would have been nice if the reservation taker told me that there would be a convention at the hotel which would occupy most of the property, making it impossible for me to have the quaint romantic get away we were hoping for. The hotel is very small and if there is a convention there, plan on fading into the background.

Our room had a view of someone's wedding rehearsal dinner that was very loud, making it difficult to relax in the room at all. Since the weather was 60 degrees in August (not the hotel's fault) you might find yoursefl wanting to relax in the room. Forget it.

When I asked for a room with an upgraded view and offered to pay for it, they said were all booked up.

We had dinner in their high end restaurant. They kept promoting the view but most people eat dinner at night - it was dark, no view. The food was aweful and I let them know about it. It was the most expensive meal we had in a while (and we live in Las Vegas) and I was actuallty embarrased for the chef.

We drove down to the Del and instantly realized that is where we should have stayed. All of the nightlife is directly next ot the Del. All of the fun things to do and great places to eat are over there, and it is not within walking distance from Loews.

The Del's facility is refurbished to a much higher degree than Loews. The price is comparable between the two properties, but the experience is certainly not. Never having been to Coronado Island, I called each hotel and was trying to gather intel so we could make an educated decision about where to stay.

I just wanted someone like me to say "hey man, let me take the guess work out of this for you. You want to stay at Del. That is where everything is and you have direct beach access". You can't even walk to the beach at Loews - you have to drive or take the shuttle.

So we left 24 hours into our stay and about an hour into our return drive home, Lowes called and said they had one of the best rooms on their property for us. I was pissed. Only once we left unhappy were they willing to try and accomodate us.

Each time I spoke to a manager about how bad our experience was, they kept telling me how "crazy" things are on the property when a convention is there. Why would they think I want to come on a relaxing vacation for "crazy". They basically were admitting fault to the chaotic scene and justifying it somehow. I don't care what the reason is. A "crazy" time is not what we signed up for. The GM should train the managers to never say "things are crazy here right now". This is the last thing a guest wants to hear.

We will go back to Coronado Island, but will never visit the Loews again.

The del is where you want to be. It is big enough to accomodate hotel guests and event functions at the same time. The amenities are higher end than Loews for the same price. There is direct beach access. All of the day life and night life is right next to the Del!

Staying at Loews makes you feel like you were left out of the loop of some cruel joke. They honestly should close their doors for about 6 months to a year and spend about $50-100 million in new construction and refurbishing.

We would have had more ammenities had we stayed in a tent on the beach.

Avoid this place at all costs. They really have some nerve charging a premium for what they offer. I am not cheap. I just don't like spending a lot on cheap dumps. The people who would recommend this place don't really know what real luxury accomodations are. Much like someone would recommend a Hyundai as a good car, when I would steer you towards a Mercedes.

6 Thank TucksPop
KathleenCochran, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
I am so very sorry that your stay was so disappointing. And, our management response was simply unacceptable and rest assured, I will be following up. Although, it does sound that they were trying to move you to a room that would satisfy your needs. Fortunately, reviews like yours are few and far between. I am happy to report that the vast majority of our guests truly love spending time here. In fact we have guests, families and extended families that return again and again and again.

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

I just returned from a 2 night trip to Loews with my husband. We did a fair amount of research and opted for Loews because we wanted a resort in a private location. This indeed is private. The first day was great. We sat poolside at the all adult pool and had fantastic service from our waiter. The second day we opted for a more active day, rented bikes and took a yoga class on the beach. The bikes were a bit pricey $60 for 2 bikes for 3 hours. We rode into Old Town Coronado to have lunch at the Hotel Del Coronado. Boy was I gald we decided not to stay there. The main hotel was old on teh inside, needs some serious renovation. And our server at lunch was rude. We happily returned to Loews that evening.

The reviews about everything being pricey is true. We had dinner at the Market Cafe on our second night and it was over a $100 on the food was average at best. However, I will give them credit for their breakfast buffet- $15/person and the omlets are awesome. My hubby and I were pretty disappointed to learn that the resort's fancier dining option- Mistrel- is closed on Sunday and Monday evenings, of course the two nights we were there. For other dining options you have to go downtown. The resort offers a free shuttle every hour. The concerierge sent us to Valucchis (spelling totally wrong) in old town which was awesome! Highly recommend - great ambiance, fabulous food, and great service. And for a nice after dinner treat, there is a great Gelato place right down the road from where the shuttle drops you off in Old Town.

Overall, we had a great 2 day trip. I wouldn't recommend Loews for more than a long weekend though, all the nickle and diming was getting old pretty fast and there really isn't much to do in the surrounding area. Once you exhaust the resort options you are pretty much forced to pay a lot of money to go anywhere. Buyer beware- a trip to teh zoo will cost you $30 each way and the airport is a cool $40. I would plan to go to Loews for 2- 3 nights in addition to staying downtown if I were doing a week in San Diego so you can get the best of both worlds.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words about your stay. I also appreciate the feedback about Mistral being closed on Sunday and Monday. We are going to look closely at only being closed one day.
Also, please keep in mind that in addition to our complimentary shuttle service into the village of Coronado-Old Town Trolley also is an affordable way to get to all the areas of San Diego, including the Zoo and Sea Port Village.

We hope to see you back soon!

Chantilly, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

Stayed at the Loews while we were in San Diego for Comic Con 2010 - really beautiful hotel, pool is gorgeous, everything was clean and very nice. Food's expensive, but that's a resort for you!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words about the resort. Hopefully Comic-Con will be back and you will stay with us once again.

Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 2 weekday nights in a Bay View room ($280/night booking direct) after reading the TripAdvisor reviews. We have stayed at hotels and B&Bs in Europe and the US, and would say that this property is a solid 4 star. We had a great view of the bay, and watched many sailboats glide past our window (100' away). Room was quiet, but admittedly we were at the far end of the hall.

The room, bathroom, and balcony were very clean. Bedding was nice, and the mattresses were probably 4-1/2 star (my opinion). The shower is somewhat small at 42" square, but the large deep soaking tub more than made up for it. Overall, the bathroom is a good size and nice design.

The coffee maker (with plenty of "Emeril's Coffee" cartridges) was a nice touch, but I wouldn't make coffee with the tap water. All minibars are expensive, and this was no exception. (But hey, there is a Von's grocery store on Orange Street where you can stock up on anything.) There was a 32" HDTV in the room, which had excellent reception on the 75+ channels.

Parking is under the building and an additional $22 a day. If you have a car, that is part of the cost of staying at this property. If you take a Shuttle or taxi, then you don't pay it. I saw a young couple who were rolling their suitcases out to the main road (Strand Blvd?), and I think they were going to catch the City Bus that appears to go to the Airport.

The beach is a 10 minute walk down the driveway and thru the tunnel under the main road. That walk can be reduced if you catch the golf cart shuttle, or drive your car and park just inside Loews' entrance gate. The beach is soft white powder sand. There is no shade, so bring an umbrella etc if you need relief from the sun.

The drive to the town of Coronado took 5-10 minutes, and parking during the week was not much of a problem. We ate at 3 different restaurants with TripAdvisor reviews, and those experiences matched expectations too.

The hotel staff seemed very eager to please. We are neutral about staying here again, but this hotel does indeed deliver satisfactory value for the money. Don't get scared off about staying here, instead, just have a reasonable expectation of a medium size chain resort in a relatively uncrowded beach area of San Diego.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your detailed review of the resort. I am pleased to read that your stay was to your satisfaction. I am also sorry to learn that you were not informed of our beach cabana-where we will set you up with chairs and umbrellas for your enjoyment.
We hope you will return soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

This hotel is just so tranquil and calming, it's perfect for the end of a hectic roadtrip holiday. The staff are so helpful and can't do enough for you. The whole hotel is immaculately clean, especially the room and bathroom. The location is awesome with some of the best views ever. The beach is walkable although the hotel provide a golf cart service. It is so much less crowded than others. All in all a perfect retreat.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for all your kind comments about your recent stay. We hope you will come back to visit again!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Just stayed there for a week with my wife and two small children. We were overall very happy with our stay. We were concerned due to some very negative reviews on this site, but we didn't see that many issues, although I understand where people were coming from in their complains.

ROOM:

Liked: We stayed in a "Luxury King Suite" and were generally happy. The bedroom was large and the living area was well-appointed. We had a very nice view of Coronado Bay from the balcony. The bathroom was huge and renovated.

Disliked: Usually the suites in child-friendly resorts are equipped with mini-kitchen areas with fridge, microwave and sink. This resorts' suites didn't have that. I guess they want to encourage the guests to dine out. That's fine with me. However, with our 3-month old daughter, how were we supposed to store/warm up the milk/formula and wash the bottles? In fairness, they do "rent out" a fridge and microwave for $10 per day each, which we paid. However, the suite was not really designed for that, plus we had to wash baby bottles in the bathroom each day. My point - if you claim to be a baby friendly resort, you should have a mini-kitchen in the suites.

DINING:

The food was good. The service were great too. I don't understand why people whine about 18% included tip in the pool Cantina? Usually people tip 15% anyway, and in the Cantina the server must walk all over the pool area to serve food, which I would argue is tougher than serving it in a restaurant. We dined at the Mistral one night and thought it was excellent, the food and the views, although we did have to argue for a window table.

POOL AREA

Very convenient and functional. 3 pools: one for kids, one general and one for adults. The service was great. They provide covers for the chairs and unlimited towels. Very clean. They also give some free things such as frozen grapes and ice cream, which is a nice touch.

KIDS ACTIVITIES

Liked: They had some activities in the pool area, such as swimming with large inflated dolphines, which my oldest daughter (3 y/o) enjoyed.

Disliked: There is a picture of "Kids play room" on the hotel web site. It looked great and my 3y/o was really looking forward to play there. However, this was misleading. As we walked in, we were told that noone under age 4 can be in that room. My daughter was VERY upset. I knew the Loews kids club programs start at age 4. However, if you advertise claim to be a top child-friendly resort and advertise a kids play room, it should be accessible to younger kids as well. This was a disappointment.

INTERNET

I saw many people complaining about $13 per day charge for WiFi. Personally, I had no problem paying that. After all, when you stay at any upscale hotel, you usually pay for internet. You can't compare Loews to a Comfort Inn with free WiFi.

However, the signal strength in our room was poor. That was a problem. If you charge $ for internet, the connection quality must be seemless.

DOGS:

This hotel does allow dogs of all sizes. I didn't mind them, but I think they should put people with big dogs in a separate building. I was really concerned when my 3 y/o daughter was running in the corridor and some huge dog was running along with her. You never know what a dog (even a well behaved one) will do in an unfamiliar environment. I think the resort is taking a big risk by allowing this. We did hear some occasional barking, which may be bothersome for some guests, but we didn't think it was a big deal. Overall, I believe the management will have to decide to either be child-friendly or dog-friendly.

VALUE:

I noticed that most people complain about being charged for everything at the resort. I don't see this as a huge issue. In fact I noticed that the less people pay for the room, the more they complain about resort charges. No doubt, this is an expensive place to stay. I had no illusions about it when I booked the trip. Parking is $22, but they have a guarded underground lot, which reduces the chance of your car to be driven away to Mexico and sold for parts. In the end, it is very subjective. I am comfortable charging meals, parking, etc. to my room and paying on check-out. I budget for these things upfront. I guess, some people prefer an all-inclusive concept, which is hard to find in the US. One thing to be warned about - if you can only afford $100 per night and somehow get a room at Loews at that rate through Priceline or Hotwire, you will probably end up spending A LOT more and be very unhappy in the end. This place is a 5-10 min drive from any shops/restaurants, and you'll pay premium for everything on-site.

OVERALL:

With certain pitfalls, which are inevitable at any vacation, we were very pleased with our stay at Loews Coronado Bay and will likely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your very detailed review of your recent stay. Not only was your underlying attitude one of fairness, you actually provided me with the kind of helpful information that I can use in enhancing and affirming the level of guest service to which we aspire.

I am glad to here you will return. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist in making your reservations.

Kathleen Cochran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 16 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,883 reviews

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!