“Serene location, friendly staff”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Beautiful location overlooking the bay with views of the Coronado Bay Bridge and downtown San Diego. The staff is exceptionally friendly and accomodating. The room was pretty nice (flat screen TV, nice furnishings, balcony, etc.) but somewhat of a letdown for the price. For example, the website advertised a "Japanese soaking tub" but it looked like a regular old bathtub.

The price of staying here really escalates once you add on parking, internet, food (you have to eat in the hotel b/c it's really isolated) and nothing is included. For example, there isn't even free internet in the lobby or business center as hotels at this level often offer.

Staying here feels very relaxing. It's great to just lounge out with a book while taking in the beautiful views or to relax by the pool. It isn't as touristy as the Del, so there aren't mobs of people around, only the hotel guests.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank schutie
There are newer reviews for Loews Coronado Bay Resort

Reviewed March 15, 2007

This was our first visit to the Loew's Coronado but not our first stay at a Loew's hotel. It is always wise to sign up for the Loew's first program which provides benefits at no extra cost. I am a Loew's gold member.
I made the reservations through the Loew's central reservation line as I was booking two rooms and wanted some assurance that they would be connecting. Prior to our arrival, the hotel front desk confirmed that the rooms would be connecting and they indeed were.
We were in building 2 on the third floor with spectacular views.
Let me start at the beginning:
The town of Coronado is a small enclave over the bridge from San Diego. This hotel is not within the town but a few miles outside of the town. They run a limited shuttle to town on a reserved space basis which we did not use. Bear in mind, with a car, parking in town (which has a number of very fine and varied restaurants) is a nightmare.
There is both self parking and valet parking at the hotel. The charges are steep. $18 a night for self parking and $23 a night for valet parking. Parking is underground and although they suggest that you can park near the elevator of your particular building number, it is hard to do as spaces are limited and blocked off for valet.
The hotel has three stories and has a series of 6 buildings, more like elevator banks that go to a separate area. Building one is closest to the lobby and then 2, 3 ,4 etc. follow.
Check-in was easy and the front desk staff very friendly. The room was clean, the balcony and table and chairs inviting and although the hotel is not new, we had no housekeeping or cleanliness issues during our stay. Although we were close to the elevator, we experienced no noise issues, but our room faced the water and not the pool area.
The pool area is expansive and welcoming. The Cantina (which is the outside food facility by the pool) is only open on the weekends.
The lobby is inviting as most Loew's hotels have couches and casual seating in the lobby area near the bar. Bar prices for premium wines were quite high.
There are two eating options at the hotel, an upscale restaurant on the second floor and the Market Cafe on the lobby level. We ate at both.
The premium restaurant was expensive, service mediocre and menu not designed for a palate that wants to know what one is eating as opposed to what is disguised. I would recommend going off property for upscale eating and the concierge has a list of restaurants in town that you can independently review on the internet.
The day we arrived, they had just activated high speed internet service in the guest rooms. It worked fine but of course there was a fee ($12.95 a day)
The Market Cafe offered a very nice breakfast menu, including some local specials. The breakfast frittata was especially nice and I am not a breakfast person. There was a weekend breakfast buffet on Saturdayat $14 a person that had a variety of fresh fruits, orange juice, hot beverages, eggs (already cooked not made to order) breakfast meats, cereals, yogurt and looked like a decent value for the price. I was told there was a more expansive buffet including omelets on Sunday but did not experience it. There is counter service at the Market Cafe (small area of about 6 seats) which also had Starbucks coffee and muffins, etc. in the morning at standard Starbucks prices, not inflated prices.
Dinner in the Market Cafe was enjoyable but I don't feel that my review of dinner would be worthy and you will understand as you continue to read my comments.
The largest challenge I faced on this trip was addressed by the front desk staff in a prompt and appropriate fashion. I was particularly pleased after traveling with the family for days that there was a self-service washing machine and dryer, which conveniently was on our floor. I immediately set out to wash our dirty laundry. The washing machine began to leak all over the floor. I called engineering who stuffed the leaking pipe with towels and secured a whole bunch of bath towels from the housekeeping dept. What should have taken 40 minutes to dry took about 2 hours. I had three loads and as I continued to wash the dryer got worse and the flooding got worse. I tipped a housekeeping person and asked them to remove my clothes from the dryer as we were going to dinner and I didn't want to prevent anyone else from using the machines. When we got back from dinner some 2-1/2 hours later, the lady was almost in tears telling me that the clothes were still wet. I took them out of the dryer, laid them all over the chairs in our rooms and hiked down to the front desk. The front desk person apologized for my plight and verbally offered us a complimentary meal. After speaking with him I heard nothing and received nothing. The next day I went to the front desk looking for a fax to discover a note of apology and a complimentary dinner in the Market Cafe. Had I not inquired for my fax, I would never have known that the front desk person actually followed through on his offer. The irony, the front desk told me that the washer and dryer had been fixed so I went back to use it one last time only to discover the obvious, the machines had not been fixed.
If you get a discounted rate and don't mind an out of town setting its fine. If you want to walk around town and soak up the local feeling, it isn't the best choice.

• Stayed: March 2007
6  Thank scholarzee
Reviewed March 14, 2007

Just came back from a four night stay, March 1 - 4. We had a seminar to attend there.

The negatives are:

1.) Housekeeping ignores the do not disturb card on the front door knob. They knock and then enter. My husband was laying down on the bed to take a nap when he heard a knock and then the door opening. He had to tell them to come back later. I guess the help either does not read English or they don't care and just want to finish their job and go home. Maybe people forget to take the do not disturb card off the doorknob when they leave the room, but it should always be respected and adhered to. At other hotels, housekeeping usually calls the room if it is getting late and the room has not been cleaned. Here they just barge in. You could be in the shower or whatever and not hear the knock at the door. I think this is a case of invasion of privacy. They also came into our room the first night while we were out to give us a Loews First basket of apples, nuts & waters. We had the do not disturb out there. I had told them to deliver it the next morning. (Join the Loews First club, it's free, you get some nice perks.)

2.) The reservation was in my husband's name so they wouldn't let me register upon arrival; they had to speak to him. So we got him on my cell. I always put the reservations in his name and I had never incurred this problem before. He had dropped me off to return the rental car a few miles away. We had to return it asap or pay an additional $50. Dory, the front desk person, said it was for security reasons. She was not exactly friendly either. We needed to rent the car just to drive from Beverly Hills to Coronado. Hertz had a drop off location near by.

3.) When we got the bill faxed to me back in Florida, I noticed that we were charged for self parking, $17 each day, but we did not have a car. I called Dory and the bill was corrected. They should have confirmed with me if we were going to keep a car on the property. I had told Dory (above in #1) that my husband was not with me at that moment because he had to return the car to Hertz and he was getting a ride back here.

4.) When we went to the Market Place Cafe for breakfast and there was no wait, they still asked us our name before seating us. The food was not good there or upstairs in the ballrooms for lunch or dinner.

5.) We had a standard king room. The room was very small and railroad style (long and narrow). The bed was not comfortable. The room was worn out, it needs updating. Also, they put six decorative pillows on the bed (and some are very large). It looked pretty, but there was no place to put them when we got into bed except on the one of two chairs. When we wanted to sit in the chairs I had to transfer them back onto the bed.

The pluses are:

1.) The hair salon. Izzy did a great job on my hair just to wash and dry and style it. It was very expensive, but worth it. I received so many compliments on my hair during the week. When I went to get my hair done again at home, it came out terrible compared to Izzy's job. I fired my hairdresser and now I can't find anyone like Izzy.

2.) The grounds are very nice and I enjoyed walking there.

3.) There is a Starbucks just off the lobby.

4.) There is a ping pong table outside. We enjoyed playing, but husband didn't want to play with me again, because I beat him. and was much better than him.

5.) They have some nice stores to browse in.

6.) The property is too far from other areas.

We would not return unless we had a seminar here again.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank Kabear
Reviewed March 4, 2007

A wedding on a Coronado navy base with my girlfirend sounded like a nice Valentine's weekend, right? Not right. How did I end up at the Lowes hotel? Well, the answer is that I was stupid enough to think that I could find a place about as nice as the Del Coronado but a little easier on my wallet (I'm sure a lot of you are thinking the same thing). I had also thought I could drive around Coronado and find something that LOOKED nice without checking tripadvisor or anything else. God was that stupid and this is why:

The Lowes is TRICKY. It looks nice from afar. The hotel is sort of on a nice little islet. It is layed out nicely and there is a cute little harbor with boats next to it. The website is good. The lobby is really pretty cool. It is basically the only part of the hotel that has had work done on it in the last 25 years. The lobby is big part of the reason people hand over their credit cards. THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE LOWES IS NOW OVER!

They gave us a "walk in" rate of $250 at the front desk (only about $40 less than the Del Coronado). We walk into the room and like the hotel itself, it looks Ok from a distance. I pull out the TV and lay on the bed and realize that the mattress hasn't been turned in 25 years. My back is almost on the floor. I struggle to the middle of the bed and hang on for dear life, but end up falling into the indentation on the other side. In the bed, there is a dead, dry, rose petal, most likely from Valentine's Day two days before. The bedspread is filthy and has white stuff caked on it (not kidding you at all). Before I can call the desk and ask for a new room, I have to go to the bathroom. You wouldn't believe it--$250 and the bathtub is grimy. There are at least 5 curly hairs in it (not long enough for head hairs, but short enough for, well, you know) , and the tub is still wet. The shower is even worse. Not only was it caked in grime like the tub, but I could see immediatly the dirt and hair coming out of the drain. I turned the water on and as I thought, the shower was barely draining.

So, I called and told them that the room was disgusting and asked to change rooms. They sort of acted like they were expecting my call about 4 minutes earlier. They sent someone up with a key for a room down the hall. It wasn't so disgusting. It was like something you'd walk into a Motel 6 and see and say, "This isn't so bad." But this is where it really get's good. Later that night, I used the toilet for the first time. I only went #1, I promise, but the toilet started overflowing. Water poured out everywhere and wouldn't stop. My girlfriend was about to stab me with the frozen snickers from the mini bar that was way too cold (this was sort of our Valentine's day trip) so I took off my socks and tiptoed through my pee so I could try to dismantle the valve. The water would only stop if I held a lever inside the back of the toilet so I stood there for about 10 minutes while we waited for maintence. The guy who showed up was just great. It was obvious that he kept the hotel, or whatever is left of it together on his own. He fixed the toilet, mopped up the bathroom (just used the towels to dry the floor, no real mopping (girlfriend thought that was disgusing but I was OK with it since it was my pee), and then restocked the towels all by himself.

The next morning I call the front desk and ask for the manager. Someone takes down my name and room number and says the manager is in a meeting and he will call me back. 1 hour later and nobody calls, so I call back and say I'll hold until they can find him. It gave me the feeling that they are used to complaints to the manager and found that if they don't call back, a lot of people will give up complaining. Anyway, when he finally gets on the phone I tell him about everything from switching rooms to standing in my own pee. He says that he will give me half off of the first night (we are staying for two nights) and sort of laughs when he says it like I'm ripping HIM off! I wanted to ask him to take a shower in that first room we stayed in but was worried he would get the wrong idea--me being from San Francisco and all.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Actually, this place is so awful that I will go on. I was stupid enough to get a massage. Like the rest of the hotel, the spa looked great from the outside. They gym sort of sucked (TV's couldn't really be seen from machines), but it was OK. The locker room was newly remodeled or newly built and was just great. It was clean and had nice amenities. Because of this, again becuase things looked so nice on the outside, I got tricked into paying $200 for a 80 minute massage. That's as pricy as a massage gets, and it would have been Ok except the therapist (only one there), gave a massage like my little 13 year old sister might give me. It was like she'd never been to school, didn't know anatomy, and was just moving her hands in the same motion the whole time. She also forgot my calves--$200/80 minutes!! Finally, my girlfirend scheduled a hair appointment since she was in the wedding and whoever scheduled it made it for the wrong time and she couldnt' get it done.

When I was checking out, I told the lady at the front desk how awful the stay was when she asked. She was very helpful even though I remember she was the one who gave me the first room upon check in. I'm glad she asked how the stay was or I would have let it go. After telling her all the woes of my stay, the discussion ended with her going to the back room and talking to the manager. When she came back she told us that we would get the first night free. So, all in all I ended up paying about $500 for two nights and one massage...STILL FELT SCREWED OVER!!

Next time, if someone puts a gun to my head and makes me go over that bridge from San Diego to Coronado, I will pay whatever it costs and stay at the Del Coronado.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank cwagner007
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I purchased a 2 for 1 deal to stay at the Leows Coronado. It was nice and relaxing but experienced a few problems. I had heard what a great brunch the Loews had, so I called two weeks in advance. When we arrived, they informed me that they did not do brunch anymore, only a buffet. When we arrived for the buffet, my reservation did not exist either, they did however, seat us anyway. At dinner in the Marketplace, our server did not know how to pour a beer. In fact, 1/2 the beer foamed out onto the table...a replacement was not offered. We were in Bldg 1 above the hot tub. At 1:00 a.m. I had to call security to remove loud guests that woke us up. Again the next morning, guests were in the hot tub at 6:30 a.m. Although pool hours are posted, they are not strongly enforced. The food in the Marketplace (breakfast and dinner) is good, service was so-so, and I think, over very priced. Average meal with tip $75.00 The spa has a steam room/sauna that you can use at no charge, this is not advertised. The service at the cantina was short staffed...so much so that we received our meal for free (they could not find it in the computer). Overall, the weekend nice and relaxing, but I am glad we did not pay full price for both nights. The hotel grounds really do have a resort feel to them. I would definitely go back if I can find another 2 for 1 deal.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I attended a corporate event, but liked it so much I want to come back with my spouse for a long weekend in warmer weather. The property is about a 5-10 minute drive from the town of Coronado -- you need a car to go anywhere. But it's more secluded and quieter than the somewhat fancier Del Coronado.

The room was very nice -- spacious, relaxing color scheme, nice little balcony (though I had a garden view, not water). The bed was extraordinarily comfortable, with high quality linens and plenty of pillows. Best hotel bed I've had in years. Big flat screen TV. A decent work desk and high speed Internet (though you have to pay extra for it). Spotless bathroom, high quality toiletries. Towels a little thin but plentiful.

I never ate in the restaurants but the catered meals for our event were pretty good. Wide selection, good quality, even some rather ambitious ideas. (Watermelon soup, anyone?)

Beautiful pools. Terrific views. Pretty landscaping. Wish I'd had time to try the spa.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. The website pictures were beautiful and it seemed like the perfect place to stay. Looks are deceiving. The room was definitely not worth the high price. The walls were so thin that I could hear the person snoring in the room next store. The hotel was advertised as a resort with many thing for the family to do. Not true, there was nothing to do. There was a corporate affair going on while we were there and it seemed like that was all the staff cared about. There were not activities for adults or kids. The teen lounge was really disappointing. It was a tiny room with a tv, video game, and a computer that you needed to enter a credit card number to use because it wasn't free. There was also vidoe games in the room which were $7 each. Nothing was included. The parking was $18.00 per day, which is excessive, considering all of the empty spots in the parking garage. We ate at the restaurant one night an it was great, but the hours are limited to 5 PM to 9PM. We ate there a second night, and the food was terrible and the portions were half the size they were the previous night we ate there. I got the same thing both nights, and I swear that it was left over and reheated. It was that bad!! The beds were comfortable and the pools were clean, but that's about it. Also, the bar by the pools were not open on weekdays, only weekends, and closed early. This hotel is also very far from everything and parking is had to find in town or on the beach. I would not recomend this hotel at all. Stay at one in town!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!