“Nice but out of the way”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Resort style hotel, I think meant to be a place you go for a week and never leave but I really couldn't imagine doing this. Location was far enough from the action in Coronado and very far from San Diego to be in the middle of no where.

Room not ready when we arrived at 2pm. Overall the place felt a little run down, updated here and there but not altogether nice.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
KathleenCochran, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

Thank you so much for your feedback. The one thing we hear often from our guests is that the resort is exclusive but so close to all sorts of fun things to do. We are only 4 miles from the village of Coronado and only 10 miles to downtown San Diego. The beauty of the resort is that it feels far away-but it’s really not.

We hope you will come back and visit again.
Most Sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Loews Coronado Bay Resort

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We just stayed for nights a this hotel. We have a 3 and 5 year old, it was fantastic for us. They had gifts for kids on arrival, a scavenger map, events everyday for them and they keep the pool warm so you can swim forever without the kids lips turning blue. We had a great view of the bridge and San Diego. We especially loved that they have a golf cart to take you to and from the beach and they have towels, chairs, sand toys umbrellas waiting for you. A great all around stay, we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Thanks for your kind comments about your stay at our resort. I recently read somewhere that "Fun" is the new amenity of choice...and it sure sounds like you had some!

We do offer free internet in our lobby and I am sorry that you were not informed of this.
We also try to keep our rates low and competitive-so we have chosen not to include many services. We have taken the stance that you should pay for only what you use.

Please do come back and see us again.

Most Sincerely,

Reviewed June 30, 2010

So much fun! tons to do, and the weather was pretty great:) The one downside was that u had to pay for almost everything at the resort (even internet), but they were very friendly, and it was upscale but great for us kids (there was ping pong, pool, tennis, bikes, ect.), and i didn't have to pay:)

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Knowing that we would be arriving late (well after 9pm) for check-in that day, I had made a call to the hotel in advance to make sure our reservation is set. When we checked in that evening around 10pm, the front desk advised us that they will be "upgrading" becuase the original room is no longer available. We have 2 little kids with us who were deep asleep, so we figured it would be wise to get the kids in bed as soon as we could. To our shocking surprise, as we went into the assigned room, there were people already in there (what a scary thing for the occupant also!). We had to sat in the hall way for 1/2 hour with our little kids, who were awkened due to this unpleasant interruption, before someone deliver the key. When we got into the new assigned room, we were surprised again, it was a single bed, not what we had requested, they had offered to get us a roll away bed. At this point, we were so exhausted, we just took what was available. Because of the series of unpleasant evenst, it has caused multiple arguments between me and my husband, and made the whole trip a very unpleasant one. The hotel management never made any additonal gesture of apology our than verbal. I thought if they were to be professional about it, someone should have contacted us the next day to review the whole thing. Overall, a very dissapointing trip.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
KathleenCochran, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2010

I hope you will accept my most sincere apology for the mix up in your reservations. As a mother myself, I can imagine how awful it must have been. You can be assured however, that I will be following up on every one of your comments with my staff and their supervisors to ensure this never happens again. I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservations. We hope you will give us another chance to show you what a truly great and caring staff we have.

Reviewed June 26, 2010

I felt that I was being nickle and dimed for anything that I wanted to use in the hotel. I was surprised when I found out that there are pricey additional charges for everything you want to use at the hotel: internet, parking ($20 a day), fitness gym... Guests have to pay to park if they stay longer than 30 minutes or so. Restaurant food was tasty and the portions rather large but really, really overpriced. It's also inconveniently located outside central Coronado away from any other restaurants or food options. There was no fridge in the room in case I wanted to bring something back. I wanted to change hotels after the first night because I was unhappy but they told me I would be charge for two additional days. Rooms were very nice, spacious, and clean; the pool was mediocre for what you would expect for this type of hotel. Overall, not worth the value of your money.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Thank_G0d_its_Friday

I am truly sorry you felt nickeled and dimed during your visit. At most resorts, you pay a "resort fee" that is generally anywhere from $25-$30 per day, where most of these incidential charges are included. However, we took the stance, that you should not have to pay for something you do not use, and that you should only pay for what services you need.
I am also sorry to learn that we did not offer to have a small fridge delivered to your room. We have plenty available for guest requests.
Please feel free to contact me directly as we would love to have you back.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

I am absolutely in LOVE with this place! This is Perfect place to go with your family or just to get away and actually relax. Beautiful Pool, Inviting/Comfortable Rooms, Great Views, Delightful Staff, yummy food.

We were in Coronado for a wedding, so I was down at the Hotel Del Coronado (which is where my friend the bride was staying) quite a bit, while I will admit their beach is AMAZING, and there are some really good views... I wouldn't stay there, it was old, the hallways were crooked and its expensive. The only parts of the hotel worth seeing are open to the public anyways... the Bride stayed with us the night before her wedding and she loved Lowes... she actually blown away by how much nice our hotel was than hers!

Anyways.. My only recommendation if you are staying at Lowes are 1) Rent a Car, the hotel is too far away to walk ANYWHERE (unless your a fan of walking along interstate in the middle of nowhere) Plus, Coronado is actually pretty simple to get around in... and 2) take the Surfing lessons! Our instructor was awesome, and made us feel very comfortable... plus he did all the hard work and paddled us out to the ocean while we were on our boards, lol

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We spent four nights with our two girls, ages 10 and 13, in June. On the upside: The rooms are large and updated. The service is very good. The pool area is nice. The spa is good. We took surfing lessons through concierge with Coronado Surf Academy and had a great time.

On the downside: The rooms are very noisy. While the rooms have been updated very nicely, it is an older hotel and they have not apparently updated the door springs or whatever it is that allows for quiet doors. As a result you hear all the doors around you when thay are opened or closed. The arrangement of the rooms is also nice in that almost every room has some sort of view of the Bay, but it results in rooms that seem to absorb the patio noise from many rooms that share a common courtyard, and if someone lets their kids play in the courtyard early you are up with the neighbors. The hotel hallways and elevators also seem dated, perhaps they have not yet renovated those areas, but it gives an outdated feel to the place. You need to drive or take shuttle for about 5 min to get Coronado downtown area, an area you don't want to miss. I think the Strand beach was nice, but the beach around the Hotel Del is better.

Overall, not a terrible stay, just not to expectations for a Loews. I don't think we would stay here again, I would take the location of the Marriott on Coronado, and hopefully it would be a bit quieter as well.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!