“Great family holiday”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver
Reviewed July 1, 2006

We stayed for 5 nights with 2 kids and enjoyed it a great deal.
Breakfast at the Cafe is great for kids. I wouldn't do the pool breakfast unless your heart is set on sitting by the pool since the food is from the same kitchen and an automatic 18% grat. The cafe has breakfast buffet but the quality of the food off the menu is better. We ate dinner one night in the cafe as welll and it was reasonably good but not outstanding. have the giant Margarita. They really cater to children so our 4 and 6 year olds were very happy and very quiet.

The lounge is ok, we ended up having the ESPN and the World Cup most times, I guess somebody there wanted to watch it badly. The service was sometimes slow and there were a few staff complaining openly about their supervisor which is a bit unprofessional.

The rooms are decent sized with very big bathrooms and separate showers. We were in building 3, third floor, 3323, with view of bay and ocean, slightly marred by ring road around the outside of the hotel. It is a nice view of sunset thought and away from the main building so very quiet. Recommend self park which is right under your building.

Pool is amazing for kids, only 3 feet deep in most places, lots of toys for them.

Fitness facilities are good, my wife attended the classes and they were good. The equipment in the gym is comparable to a Westin type workout. They have a nice running map to help you with mileage along the beach and bike path; I ran the bike path in the AM about 3-6 miles and it is a nice flat run and you can cross over to Silver Strand Beach on underpasses easily. Lots of bikers on the path also. Also lots of marines around to make you motivated.

Concierge, front desk, wait staff, valet, housekeeping were all very helpful and trying very hard to make us happy. I observed some belligerent behaviour from some Type A's and they handled things quite well and professionally.

There were two conferences on while we were there but we did not feel overwhelmed out ignored at all. All in all would highly especially if you have young kids. Comparable to a good Westin/Hyatt experience.

• Stayed: June 2006
Write a ReviewReviews (4,558)

Reviewed July 1, 2006

This is the 2nd time we've stayed at this hotel in the past 2 years. The service this time had improved, which is about the only deficient thing we found last time. It's a nice place that is very good for kids of all ages.

1  Thank ScipioAfricanus
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We just returned from five days at Loew's Coronado and we loved it! This resort was perfect for us and our two children (ages 11 and 6)! The room was nice and we had a beautiful view (bayview room). The service was impeccable and more than we expected. They offered lots of kid friendly perks like free sodas for the kids at the bars and restaurants, a welcome bag with frisbees, etc, and an array of fun activities (for a small fee) including bingo, smoothie workshops poolside, etc... The free beach shuttle was great and included free use of beach chairs, towels, and umbrellas. The entire staff was very friendly and even though the place was "kid friendly", it wasn't overrun with kids (we loved that!!). The only complaints we had were very minor (parking was $17 a day and our rooms weren't cleaned as early as we would have liked), but overall, we loved this place!! We'll go back without hesitation!

2  Thank mmbett
Reviewed June 28, 2006

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here May 21-28th and we loved everything about it!! We got a free upgrade to a beautiful room, were welcomed with a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in our room, and were treated wonderfully by everyone we came in contact with. We loved the king size bed! It was the best sleep we have ever had! It was so comfortable. The view was incredible to wake up to in the morrning as well. The place was beautifully decorated and we really got the resort feel from the lobby, to the pools, to the delicious restaruants. The service was nice as well. Servers remembered us and greeted us with a smile everytime we ventured into the restaruant. The pools were perfect temperature and were never overcrowded, so we were able to enjoy a nice relaxing time. Also is bothers me when people complain how far everything was from this hotel, because if you did your research you should know before going it's not in downtown, so you are going to have to travel a little bit. But we found it affordable by taking the city bus, the ferry, and the free shuttle from the hotel itself. It just depends on your prioties of getting around. We plan on going back and look forward to a second honemoon on Coronado Island and at the Loews Resort!

• Stayed: May 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2006

While our room was very nice, I was quite disappointed with this hotel. The hotel had some very active guests staying above us, and it was quite annoying. The pool was very nice; however, I have a problem with any hotel automatically charging 18% gratuity on my food/drink bills. For instance, we had the breakfast buffet on Sunday out at the pool - we were not contacted by any server until after we were done with our meal. My bill had an 18% gratuity tacked on - we were 3 people! When I went back to my room, I looked at my other receipts only to find that each one had the 18% gratuity tacked on. I am all about tipping, especially since I worked in a tipping establishment for many years, but I don't feel that I have to tip 18% at a pool bar when I got up to get my own drinks. My feeling is that if someone walks out on his/her bill, then maybe I can justify some added tip by the establishment. I never walked out on any bill at this hotel, and I fully intend to debate this issue with Loews. I have frequented many resorts, and I have never encountered anything like this.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
boston, ma
Reviewed June 4, 2006

I am amazed with the negative reviews this hotel received. I booked this hotel for Memorial Day weekend and was thrilled with my experience. Our hotel (which coincidentally was near the stairs and in tower 5) was clean, neat, quiet and comfortable. We had a beautiful view of the water and could smell all the wild flowers from our balacony. The hotel staff was accommodating, courteous and friendly. I would definately stay there again. In response to some of the other negative comments regarding the "long walk from the lobby to tower 5" I would have to stay that these reviewers are simply out of shape! The walk is not long at all (maybe 150 yards). And who minds the walk when you have the marina and the scenery to keep you company? I would agree with some reviewers that it is rediculous to charge for parking, but every place does--not just Coronado Bay. STAY HERE. YOU'LL LOVE IT.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 4, 2006

We just got back from Loews Coronado and are already planning our next trip. This is an awesome hotel. The rooms were big (we had 3 kids and did just fine), the pool was great and the beach is just a short walk away. The staff was very helpful and had everything you needed for the beach(towels, umbrellas,etc). We loved Silver Strand Beach. The bathrooms at the hotel were great, we loved the huge tub. Parking was 17 a night but it was very easy to self park. The only thing was that room service got a little pricey with 3 kids, we solved that by having them put an extra fridge in our room for only 10$ a night and then hitting the Von's grocery store in Coronado. The hotel is really not far from coronado (3 miles). This was a very kid friendly hotel in all other aspects. I am not sure why this hotel gets any bad reviews because we really enjoyed our stay there and can't wait to get back. You truly feel like you're on vacation at this hotel. I

1  Thank Footguy00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 286 in San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!