“loved it - perfect for families!!”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Modesto, CA
“loved it - perfect for families!!”
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We just returned from five days at Loew's Coronado and we loved it! This resort was perfect for us and our two children (ages 11 and 6)! The room was nice and we had a beautiful view (bayview room). The service was impeccable and more than we expected. They offered lots of kid friendly perks like free sodas for the kids at the bars and restaurants, a welcome bag with frisbees, etc, and an array of fun activities (for a small fee) including bingo, smoothie workshops poolside, etc... The free beach shuttle was great and included free use of beach chairs, towels, and umbrellas. The entire staff was very friendly and even though the place was "kid friendly", it wasn't overrun with kids (we loved that!!). The only complaints we had were very minor (parking was $17 a day and our rooms weren't cleaned as early as we would have liked), but overall, we loved this place!! We'll go back without hesitation!

2 Thank mmbett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
Lexington, KY
Reviewed June 28, 2006

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here May 21-28th and we loved everything about it!! We got a free upgrade to a beautiful room, were welcomed with a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in our room, and were treated wonderfully by everyone we came in contact with. We loved the king size bed! It was the best sleep we have ever had! It was so comfortable. The view was incredible to wake up to in the morrning as well. The place was beautifully decorated and we really got the resort feel from the lobby, to the pools, to the delicious restaruants. The service was nice as well. Servers remembered us and greeted us with a smile everytime we ventured into the restaruant. The pools were perfect temperature and were never overcrowded, so we were able to enjoy a nice relaxing time. Also is bothers me when people complain how far everything was from this hotel, because if you did your research you should know before going it's not in downtown, so you are going to have to travel a little bit. But we found it affordable by taking the city bus, the ferry, and the free shuttle from the hotel itself. It just depends on your prioties of getting around. We plan on going back and look forward to a second honemoon on Coronado Island and at the Loews Resort!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2006

While our room was very nice, I was quite disappointed with this hotel. The hotel had some very active guests staying above us, and it was quite annoying. The pool was very nice; however, I have a problem with any hotel automatically charging 18% gratuity on my food/drink bills. For instance, we had the breakfast buffet on Sunday out at the pool - we were not contacted by any server until after we were done with our meal. My bill had an 18% gratuity tacked on - we were 3 people! When I went back to my room, I looked at my other receipts only to find that each one had the 18% gratuity tacked on. I am all about tipping, especially since I worked in a tipping establishment for many years, but I don't feel that I have to tip 18% at a pool bar when I got up to get my own drinks. My feeling is that if someone walks out on his/her bill, then maybe I can justify some added tip by the establishment. I never walked out on any bill at this hotel, and I fully intend to debate this issue with Loews. I have frequented many resorts, and I have never encountered anything like this.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 4, 2006

I am amazed with the negative reviews this hotel received. I booked this hotel for Memorial Day weekend and was thrilled with my experience. Our hotel (which coincidentally was near the stairs and in tower 5) was clean, neat, quiet and comfortable. We had a beautiful view of the water and could smell all the wild flowers from our balacony. The hotel staff was accommodating, courteous and friendly. I would definately stay there again. In response to some of the other negative comments regarding the "long walk from the lobby to tower 5" I would have to stay that these reviewers are simply out of shape! The walk is not long at all (maybe 150 yards). And who minds the walk when you have the marina and the scenery to keep you company? I would agree with some reviewers that it is rediculous to charge for parking, but every place does--not just Coronado Bay. STAY HERE. YOU'LL LOVE IT.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed June 4, 2006

We just got back from Loews Coronado and are already planning our next trip. This is an awesome hotel. The rooms were big (we had 3 kids and did just fine), the pool was great and the beach is just a short walk away. The staff was very helpful and had everything you needed for the beach(towels, umbrellas,etc). We loved Silver Strand Beach. The bathrooms at the hotel were great, we loved the huge tub. Parking was 17 a night but it was very easy to self park. The only thing was that room service got a little pricey with 3 kids, we solved that by having them put an extra fridge in our room for only 10$ a night and then hitting the Von's grocery store in Coronado. The hotel is really not far from coronado (3 miles). This was a very kid friendly hotel in all other aspects. I am not sure why this hotel gets any bad reviews because we really enjoyed our stay there and can't wait to get back. You truly feel like you're on vacation at this hotel. I

1 Thank Footguy00
Reviewed June 2, 2006

We bought three nights at this hotel at a charity auction. After reading some of the reviews here I was worried we had made a mistake. I don't know what hotel these negative reviewers were staying at, but we had a fabulous time and everything about the hotel was super.

The staff was extremely friendly and competent. Our room was lovely; it had a wonderful king bed and a terrific balcony overlooking the marina. We had dinner in the fancy restaurant (I forget its name) and both the food and the view were incredible.

The beach is just a short walk (5-10 min.) on a pathway or the bell desk is more than happy to drive you over in a golf cart whenver you want and come pick you up at your choice of time.

We really enjoyed our Memorial Day weekend stay. Don't be put off by these other negative reviews.

1 Thank Dutchydog
Southern California
Reviewed May 27, 2006

Terrible experience. They gave us a room next to the stairs. Very, very loud. Nice view but we couldn't use the balcony unless we wanted to smell the cigarette smoke from below. I paid $300 a night but everything costs extra. Parking is $17 a night. Wireless internet is $13. Unbelievable that they charge for that. They automatically add 18% gratuity to your food bill.

Here is our breakfast experience. We decided we just wanted Starbucks coffee and a muffin. The Starbucks is in the hotel. My wife and I both ordered a Vanilla latte. After we got our drinks and took a sip the lady yelled to us and said the milk was bad, she needed to make us a new one. After I got my new one, it was lukewarm. I took it back and she heated it up. Way too hot, she burned the milk. I said just give me a regular coffee and I got my money back. I went to fill up my coffee from the self serve pots and it was empty. So I had to fill it up with the "Bold" coffee pot. It was sure strong. I had to use a toothpick to get the grounds out of my teeth. So I threw it away.

We didn't get any of our Lowes member amenities when we arrived.

They give you a paper listing all the events, food specials, etc. for the weekend. Of course none of the listed events happended, and no one in any of the restaurants knew anything about the special food items.

Lots of bird poop all over the place because of all the trees.

Bad communication all around. The only thing good about the place is a great view and nice beds. Other than that, it's a joke, especially for the money you pay.

4 Thank isbga
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 16 in Coronado
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!