“Inconvenient”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chesapeake
“Inconvenient”
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Loews Resort at Coronado Bay was not a convenient place to stay. It was far from downtown Coronado and did not offer convenient transportation. You had to make reservations in advance for the shuttle, which only went into the town and back 4 times a day and only stopped at one place. The last ride back to the resort was at 6:15 p.m. so you could not enjoy San Diego very long if you wanted to catch the shuttle back to the resort. The shuttle stop was 12 blocks away from the waterfront so you had to walk a long way to catch the ferry. When we decided to take the city bus back to the resort so we could stay in San Diego later, we were dropped off about 1 mile away from the resort. We had to walk that long distance and all of us had blisters on our feet by the time we arrived. Fortunately, we were in pretty good shape. However, this would have been very difficult for senior citizens or families with small children. In addition, it would have been very dangerous for teenage girls or young women to walk that far by themselves after dark.

Aside from the transportation issues, the resort should have offered more activities. There was plenty for children to do; however, our teenagers were extremely bored. There was no opportunity for them to meet other teens in the resort. Loews should have also had more opportunities for the adults to socialize, such as laus, 50s night, etc. Since the resort is so far from everything, a night club with dancing would have prevented our desire to go elsewhere.

1 Thank cmwhite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
San Jose, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2009

I stayed here last week for 4 days with my mom, sister, neice, nephew, son, and daughter. The 4 kids LOVED the teen lounge and we could hardly pry them away from there! The Xbox and Guitar Hero were hits and the games were free. We asked for 2 adjoining double bed rooms and were told they don't have these. ? So we were 4 doors down from each other, which was not as good as connecting, but fine. The rooms are huge and the bathroom is gigantic! Our rooms both had the same layout: huge jacuzzi tub, separate stand up shower, plush towels, and plenty of bathroom counter space. Our balconies faced the marina and we had a great view. There was plenty of room in the room. Downside is that we had to pay $10 per day for a mini fridge and it was old and dingy. The linens on the bed were dingy, too, and just didn't seem very new or clean. There was some small debris/trash under the beds and dresser. (Not that I check there when I get to a new room, but my nephew lost a lego!) The resort is far from town and so we spend a lot of time at the resort. The food in the Market Cafe was way overpriced, but tasty. They had a kids buffet every night that the kids loved. Adult entrees were about $15-20. We had the breakfast buffet every morning and it was $9 for kids and $15 for adults. Food was standard. We did play Bingo which was a hotel-sponsored activity and that was fun. Valet parking was $28 a night and we had 2 cars = $250 just to park! Self parking was $22 a day. We all loved the pools, although the family jacuzzi was closed for one day and another day the family pool was shut down. Rumor was a small child had pooped in the pool, so it had ot be disinfected. Not Loew's fault, but still affected our trip. The food by the pool was a good price for the kids meals ($5 each). Our family also went on a gondola ride one evening and that was fun, for $30 per person. Keep in mind that this hotel is 10 mins out of town so you will need to drive to go anywhere. The Internet was $15 in the room but free in the lobby. Go to the lobby! Overall, we had a nice time and the kids loved it. I felt there were a lot of extra and overpriced charges, though. Definitely a fun place to take the family.

2 Thank JulieNMM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed August 6, 2009

This resort is beautiful! There are 2 pools, plus 3 jacuzzis and a baby pool. We were visiting in February, so the pool bar was closed. We were fortunate to have 80 degree weather, so the pool was great and we had it to ourselves. It is also heated. There is a ping-pong table set up by the pool for guests. There is a spa onsite, however I didn't utilize it.

Keep in mind, this resort is through Coronado, past the Navy Seals and other Navy base, and past the bay. It may be too far to walk in to Coronado for dinner (just over 4 miles). There is a walking/biking path, but it's a good distance from Coronado. Check out google map and take a look. The hotel is located down toward Silver Strand Beach.

The staff is friendly. They are a nice bar, and outdoor patio with heaters for the cooler weather. We discovered this on our last day. Walk through the bar area and to the outer patio. It's a popular place to smoke cigars and have cocktails in the evening. They have a restaurant on site, however I didn't eat there. They also have a bakery/Starbucks in the gift shop. The gift shop has everything you may have forgotten, plus extras. By the way, if you ask the front desk for something you've forgotten (toothbrush, etc.), they do have these items, but you will be charged. I saw that on my bill when I checked out.

I strongly recommend skipping the restaurant/bakery at the resort and heading in to Coronado. The Villa Nuevo Pastry Caffe is too die for! It is at: 956 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA‎ [--] This place is on the left as your are heading back through Coronado on Orange Ave. It's right next to Panera. They have sidewalk seating, but the best is the fresh squeezed orange juice. We discovered this place on our 2nd day and stopped every morning for orange juice. The pastries are impressive AND the hot breakfasts are wonderful also. But the orange juice is a must, if nothing else.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank GandYMac
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Went here in July on business:

The rooms are nice, very spacious and all the amenities you could want, comfy bed, plenty of storage space, very clean and nice view.

Lobby area is large and spacious, bar is in the lobby which is nice, if a bit small. The Market Cafe has nice food, if the menu is a little limited. Mistral is very good but they insist on reservations and close quite early. Service at both was very good.

Location is both a plus and a minus – you have good views of the bay area and downtown San Diego, only downside of this is the hotel in really isolated – you need a car as even getting on to Coronado needed a taxi and costs around $15 – cab to the airport id $50 which makes trips to San Diego expensive without a car. There is a courtesy bus in to Coronado, however it only runs 3 times a day and it’s only 8 seats so getting on it is difficult.

Silver Strand beach is over the road and is very nice – what we saw of it 

All in all, i enjoyed the stay, but if I returned would either get a car or get something nearer to Downtown San Diego.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Fatcat153
san diego
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed Saturday 8/3- Monday 8/5 We got a great rate on Priceline, $149 a nite, this was over 50% of the hotels website. Check in is a 4pm, but we did not arrive to the hotel until after 6pm and our room was not ready. We had to wait over 30 mins for room to be ready.
The room was small and had double (not queen) beds. The beds were uncomfortable, so much so that our 7-yr-old complained. All in all the room was small and nothing special.
Self parking is $22 dollars a nite, and internet service is $12.95 a day. Paying for parking is kind of standard, however paying for internet usage nowadays is pretty much unheard of.
The hotel was having problems with the cards guests use to enter and leave the hotel parking lot, so having to obtain a new card when ours became void, due to a technical glitch was sort of a pain.
We had breakfast in the hotel on Sunday morning, there was a buffet, but we ordered off of the menu. Service was horrible... but due to hotel policy the wait staff is still tipped 18%. Service at the pool bar/restaurant was much better though.
At the lifeguard area of the Sliver Strand beach across from the hotel, Loews has set-up a station for guests to get chairs, bogie boards, sand toys and towels. However, they need to order more chairs, the beach chairs were all checked out by 11am. This did not make for a very comfortable beach visit.
I know that hotel caters to pets, but I was VERY surprised that the rooms the animals are allowed to bunk in are not regulated to a certain floor or building. A room a few doors down from was housing a dog... it made me wonder if dogs and/or cats are lodged in any available room, how clean can the rooms really be?
All in all our room was just OK, the service at the hotel was nothing great. We live in SD county so this was just a little weekend get-a-way, however if I had flown to San Diego and chosen this hotel, I would have been VERY disappointed. This hotel was not worth $300 plus a nite and did not seem like a 4 star resort to us.

2 Thank momofkkidsSanDiego
long island
Reviewed August 1, 2009

extremly dissapointed with this property. ws supposed to be first class (chose over 4 seasons to save a few bucks). everything that could go wrong did. too much to cover here but... very under staffed. obviously cost cutting everywhere. every key card, parking pass, computer system was down all the time. screwed up our rooms and took 3 tries to get somewhat close to what we needed. I guess the 1st family can't come here because they have guests with dogs(big dogs!!) everywhere! even in the restaurant! howling dogs in rooms all around us and paper thin walls! Doors slammed all night long. 1 complete wing closed and front dest kept sending me there to laundry facilities. didn't they know that 1 out of 4 wings of the hotel want boarded up and under construction? I don't think the AC even worked. it was so humid!! in San Diego? lived there 15 years and never saw a place so damp! The rooms were damp and musty ( we diodn't say at the more reasonable marriott at the other end of the island because reviews stated their rooms were must yand we have an asthmatic child)

WAY OVER PRICED FOR THE HOTEL! 2 weeks later I was at the courtyard Marriott in central SD for another event. it ws nicer, dryer, far quieter and less that 1/3 the price. Do not waste your money - I know this property once was nice. It is not worth it now

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Let me just start out by saying that we didn't pay their regular price; we got our room from Hotwire for $120, so there's a chance that we were deemed less important.

My initial interaction with the hotel before the trip was not good. As suggested by Hotwire, I called the hotel to confirm our two beds request. Called the hotel number and asked if they could confirm our request, only to be told they couldn't take special requests from Hotwire customers and Hotwire didn't request the two beds. Called Hotwire back and relaid the message to them only to be told that such case would have to be handled by the hotel directly. By now, I was seriously frustrated. The husband who is blessed with patience made the next call. A nicer rep promised to note our two beds request on our reservation. Okay, good enough. At least, she was being helpful, not like the first rep I spoke to who was downright rude when she found out I booked through Hotwire.

Check in time was at 4, but we made it to the hotel around 3:30 and they let us check in early. Even before I had a chance to ask for the two beds, the rep who checked us in informed us that there were no more 2 beds available, but he was going to send an extra bed to the room and wasn't going to charge us for it. That was really nice, so I thought, okay, maybe this wasn't going to be as bad as I thought.

But honestly, besides the lobby (and the extra charges here and there), nothing else screamed a four star resort. The hallways are dark, the parking lots are small and dark and there's weird smell throughout the hotel. I know what the oceans smell like, I live by one, and that was NOT it. The elevators were really old and slow, and smelled musty.

The size of the room is actually quite big; even with the extra bed, it was quite comfortable. Even the bathroom was pretty big; and they even had a huge closet. So, no complaint there. But the room itself was really dirty. Carpet was old and filthy. I don't believe they vacuumed it even once when we were there. Our feet turned dark walking from the bed to the bathroom. And the fact that, the popcorn piece that we dropped on the first day was still there by the end of our trip (we stayed here for 4 nights) convinced me that no vacuum cleaner saw the room when we were there.

The sheet had a sneaker print on it. I tried to take pictures of it, but it came out very faint in the picture (see picture attached). There were some dark spots here and there. That is my biggest pet peeves about some hotels. If they're going to use white sheet, make sure it's really really clean. Sure, white looks nice, but it also brings out all the imperfections!

To me, what really distinguish good hotels and just so-so is the attention to details. I was looking through the hotel booklet with information about the hotel and menu, etc. See the picture attached. See anything wrong with it? Not only was the page upside down, the menu was inserted on a wrong section. The menu section was towards the back, but somehow, these two pages made it to the front page. Small detail!

Another thing I found weird was the non-existent of rugs in the bathroom. We had to use one of the towels as rugs. Amazingly, on our last night, the rugs appeared (see picture attached). FYI, it's not the light that made them look dirty. You can't see clearly from the pictures, but there were some shoe prints on the longer rug. And the drop of blood or something on it too. We didn't investigate further. We pushed them aside.

Self parking was $22/night. I have no complain there just because hotel parking is generally very expensive. My only complaint is the lack of parking spaces. One night, we drove around for 30 minutes before we finally found a compact parking in building 1 (we were in building 5). We didn't want to pay extra for Valet parking, but some may have to since there really was no parking left besides the ones blocked for the Valet.

For visitors who don't know the area, this hotel is one of the farthest one from the mainland and downtown. You can walk/bike to downtown, but it will take you a while. So be aware of this if you don't plan on having a car.

We had takeout from one of their cafes downstairs. We were charged 18% for a take out order. If it was delivered to our room, it would have been 21%. The husband asked what the 18% charge for. The answer was "sales tax and tip." Okay, last time we checked, Coronado sales tax was 8.75%, and why were we being charged for tip? It was a take out order. Who exactly were we tipping and for what exactly? Sadly, no answer was given.

Be aware, they also charge to use their Fitness Center. I don't know if that's the norm since all hotels I've stayed at give free access to guests.

On the Customer Service side, there's really only one person in the whole property who seemed to be happy to be part of the Loews family. A concierge by the name of Gordie. He gave us great tips which saved us a lot of time and energy @ Comic Con. While no one was down right rude (with the exception of the first rep I spoke with on the phone), no one went out of their ways to be helpful either.

So, after all these complaints, you probably wonder why I didn't give this place a 1 star instead? Well, we didn't pay the $300 plus/night for it, so for the amount we paid, it was a good value for us. And also, the fact that our extra bed was comped. FYI, it would have been $25/night if it wasn't comped. Do keep in mind that during Comic Con, even a motel in the area can cost $300. So, in that respect, this was a really good value for us. So, for that, we believed it deserved at least 1 star, and another star for Gordie and the comped extra bed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 16 in Coronado
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!