“don't waste yur money”

GreenLeadersSilver level
long island
“don't waste yur money”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

extremly dissapointed with this property. ws supposed to be first class (chose over 4 seasons to save a few bucks). everything that could go wrong did. too much to cover here but... very under staffed. obviously cost cutting everywhere. every key card, parking pass, computer system was down all the time. screwed up our rooms and took 3 tries to get somewhat close to what we needed. I guess the 1st family can't come here because they have guests with dogs(big dogs!!) everywhere! even in the restaurant! howling dogs in rooms all around us and paper thin walls! Doors slammed all night long. 1 complete wing closed and front dest kept sending me there to laundry facilities. didn't they know that 1 out of 4 wings of the hotel want boarded up and under construction? I don't think the AC even worked. it was so humid!! in San Diego? lived there 15 years and never saw a place so damp! The rooms were damp and musty ( we diodn't say at the more reasonable marriott at the other end of the island because reviews stated their rooms were must yand we have an asthmatic child)

WAY OVER PRICED FOR THE HOTEL! 2 weeks later I was at the courtyard Marriott in central SD for another event. it ws nicer, dryer, far quieter and less that 1/3 the price. Do not waste your money - I know this property once was nice. It is not worth it now

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Let me just start out by saying that we didn't pay their regular price; we got our room from Hotwire for $120, so there's a chance that we were deemed less important.

My initial interaction with the hotel before the trip was not good. As suggested by Hotwire, I called the hotel to confirm our two beds request. Called the hotel number and asked if they could confirm our request, only to be told they couldn't take special requests from Hotwire customers and Hotwire didn't request the two beds. Called Hotwire back and relaid the message to them only to be told that such case would have to be handled by the hotel directly. By now, I was seriously frustrated. The husband who is blessed with patience made the next call. A nicer rep promised to note our two beds request on our reservation. Okay, good enough. At least, she was being helpful, not like the first rep I spoke to who was downright rude when she found out I booked through Hotwire.

Check in time was at 4, but we made it to the hotel around 3:30 and they let us check in early. Even before I had a chance to ask for the two beds, the rep who checked us in informed us that there were no more 2 beds available, but he was going to send an extra bed to the room and wasn't going to charge us for it. That was really nice, so I thought, okay, maybe this wasn't going to be as bad as I thought.

But honestly, besides the lobby (and the extra charges here and there), nothing else screamed a four star resort. The hallways are dark, the parking lots are small and dark and there's weird smell throughout the hotel. I know what the oceans smell like, I live by one, and that was NOT it. The elevators were really old and slow, and smelled musty.

The size of the room is actually quite big; even with the extra bed, it was quite comfortable. Even the bathroom was pretty big; and they even had a huge closet. So, no complaint there. But the room itself was really dirty. Carpet was old and filthy. I don't believe they vacuumed it even once when we were there. Our feet turned dark walking from the bed to the bathroom. And the fact that, the popcorn piece that we dropped on the first day was still there by the end of our trip (we stayed here for 4 nights) convinced me that no vacuum cleaner saw the room when we were there.

The sheet had a sneaker print on it. I tried to take pictures of it, but it came out very faint in the picture (see picture attached). There were some dark spots here and there. That is my biggest pet peeves about some hotels. If they're going to use white sheet, make sure it's really really clean. Sure, white looks nice, but it also brings out all the imperfections!

To me, what really distinguish good hotels and just so-so is the attention to details. I was looking through the hotel booklet with information about the hotel and menu, etc. See the picture attached. See anything wrong with it? Not only was the page upside down, the menu was inserted on a wrong section. The menu section was towards the back, but somehow, these two pages made it to the front page. Small detail!

Another thing I found weird was the non-existent of rugs in the bathroom. We had to use one of the towels as rugs. Amazingly, on our last night, the rugs appeared (see picture attached). FYI, it's not the light that made them look dirty. You can't see clearly from the pictures, but there were some shoe prints on the longer rug. And the drop of blood or something on it too. We didn't investigate further. We pushed them aside.

Self parking was $22/night. I have no complain there just because hotel parking is generally very expensive. My only complaint is the lack of parking spaces. One night, we drove around for 30 minutes before we finally found a compact parking in building 1 (we were in building 5). We didn't want to pay extra for Valet parking, but some may have to since there really was no parking left besides the ones blocked for the Valet.

For visitors who don't know the area, this hotel is one of the farthest one from the mainland and downtown. You can walk/bike to downtown, but it will take you a while. So be aware of this if you don't plan on having a car.

We had takeout from one of their cafes downstairs. We were charged 18% for a take out order. If it was delivered to our room, it would have been 21%. The husband asked what the 18% charge for. The answer was "sales tax and tip." Okay, last time we checked, Coronado sales tax was 8.75%, and why were we being charged for tip? It was a take out order. Who exactly were we tipping and for what exactly? Sadly, no answer was given.

Be aware, they also charge to use their Fitness Center. I don't know if that's the norm since all hotels I've stayed at give free access to guests.

On the Customer Service side, there's really only one person in the whole property who seemed to be happy to be part of the Loews family. A concierge by the name of Gordie. He gave us great tips which saved us a lot of time and energy @ Comic Con. While no one was down right rude (with the exception of the first rep I spoke with on the phone), no one went out of their ways to be helpful either.

So, after all these complaints, you probably wonder why I didn't give this place a 1 star instead? Well, we didn't pay the $300 plus/night for it, so for the amount we paid, it was a good value for us. And also, the fact that our extra bed was comped. FYI, it would have been $25/night if it wasn't comped. Do keep in mind that during Comic Con, even a motel in the area can cost $300. So, in that respect, this was a really good value for us. So, for that, we believed it deserved at least 1 star, and another star for Gordie and the comped extra bed.

STL, MO
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Our family of 4 with kids 10 & 7 stayed here for 5 nights and it met our needs. It is not a resort like some in which we have stayed but is a comfortable hotel with great service. We had a few kinks here and there - the keys demagnitized twice; one day we had to call twice before the maid came; and they initially overcharged us upon checkout - but each encounter with staff was pleasant and they remedied the issues.

Unlike reported in other posts, we had no trouble on check-in and were assigned a great "partial-view" room with a quite full view of the bay and the bridge. Room was reasonably large and the bathroom nice (if wet due to a poorly designed shower, separate from the huge bathtub).

The pool area was nice for the kids and we enjoyed a "dive in" movie one night, complete with popcorn. Pool service is friendly but pricey (buy a cheap cooler from the liquor store next to Von's on Orange Ave. and keep it filled with ice from the machines; store your own water, soda etc. in your room - sodas are $3.50!)

I was disappointed in the beach. Silver Strand is a public beach kept in its "natural" state which means great gobs of kelp strewn about. It was also quite crowded with folks from the RV park nearby. The shuttle works well and there is a stand for hotel guests where you can get towels, chairs and boogie boards but nothing near what I had in mind when I pictured a beach experience at a nice hotel. You will want to drive into Coronado or elsewhere for a combed cleaner beach if that is your desire.

With the exception of a few exercise classes, some volleyball in the pool, and the evening movies a couple of nights, there was not much in the way of resort activities. We did not utilize the kids club so perhaps there was something there we missed.

The drive into Coronado is not bad at all. Pick up pizzas at Alexanders on Orange Avenue and try Miguel's for Mexican food. Rent bikes and drive around the island. And if you have kids who love animals the Breakfast with Shamu, Sea World Dolphin Interaction Experience and Wild Animal Park Photo Safaris are not to be missed.

Boston
Reviewed July 29, 2009

So what hotel tells you they won't honor your reservation when you go to check in at 3:30 in the afternoon? Particularly a resort hotel? I get that can happen at business hotel late at night, but to be told at 3:30pm they don't have a room and are putting me in another hotel 2 miles down the road is absurd. Plus they not only gave me at best a grudging apology, but really seemed to wash their hands of the whole thing as quickly as they could. I had to keep commuting back to the Loews for the conference I was attending there, so it was a total pain. The manager seemed vaguely annoyed to even have to talk to me (and I restrained my desire to go ballistic, so its not becuase I had brought it on by my own behavior). The end result was I suffered because of their screw up and never got the impression they felt bad and certainly they didn't seem to want to try and make it up to me. Doesn't suggest they are keen on customer service. The only thing worse would have been if this had happened and I had been there on vacation with my family. I guess lesson for ohter travellers is to keep confirming you have a room!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Rob0ny
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed here for 8 nights - found the place charming and very relaxing. If you dont drive then taxi's are very expensive to travel to the town of Coronado.
Room allocated are standard for hotels they give you a bad one with no daylight, until you request a change - moved rooms 3 times. I wonder does anybody ever get a good room when they check in first.
Pool is very comfortable but found local children coming thru gate from marina and using facillities, They were loud and no security to eject them.
This hotel is pet friendly and is full of dogs in lifts and all around the complex. every room at some stage has pets staying, and you can smell them from the carpets.
Otherwise good food and very relaxing but beware of dogs.

1 Thank Richoooo
Cheshire, England
Reviewed July 21, 2009

June stay for 4 nights (luxury room)

We had a wonderful and relaxing time at this hotel, yes the corridors are a little dated (reminded me of the 80’s) and we had some trouble with our key not working (twice) but apart from that the room, the pool and the location was fantastic. We actually wished we had booked for a bit longer (after staying at Loews Santa Monica – we were disappointed we hadn’t booked this hotel for 9 nights compared to that – it was terrible!) anyway, we were sorry to leave this hotel and Coronado.

We only paid £135 a night for this hotel and didn’t really expect it to be as nice, clean and generally a great hotel that it was. The parking worked very well, it was easy to park near your block (we were in block 4). Going out in the car and unloading it was very easy because it was quite near your room and you didn’t have to ask anyone to bring it to you. Well, we thought that was a good system and at about $22 a day – that didn’t seem too bad (compared to $30-$40 in some hotels on our trip).

We ate in Ocean & Vine (I think it was called) a number of times (due to the room credit) the food was excellent; the staff were very pleasant as well.

The view from our room wasn’t the best; you could see the bay if you craned your neck but it was extremely quiet which we had requested so we couldn’t complain. The staff seemed very nice, and when you requested something (our coffee machine broke) they came straight away.

The area is one of the nicest we’ve seen so far on our trips to America, the pace of life seems slower and the general streets of Coronado seem clean and with only a couple of story high building’s it seem’s more like New England than somewhere close to a city. We liked the area so much, we felt we could live there.

We would defiantly go to this hotel again, I would recommend it for a relaxing break and if you have a car it’s in a very good location.

Thank you Loews Coronado for such a great holiday.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmAstley
Nyc
Reviewed July 15, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week long trip to SD we split our trip between the Loews and Tower 23 in Pacific Beach. I have to admitt that I am a sucker for a brand name , so when I saw that there was a Loews in san diego I knew I wanted to stay there. We had been to the Loews in Santa Monica and had a great expreince. I am also familiar with the loews in Miami which is very nice. Needless to say this Loews is more like a Mariott. The hotel just has a drab feel to it and seems like it needs some remodeling. The pool is overshadowed by the balconys which gives it a motel like feel. We had one of the rooms that overlooked the pool area. The room had a strange odor , and the carpet and drapes both had a few stains on it. If you play tennis they have great courts and we played tennis each day (there is a $10 fee). I have to say the best thing about this hotel is the staff , especially Gordie the concierge. They were kind enough to shuttle us each night to the del corndao where we spent most of our nights. Overall if I went back I would stay at the Del , while its pricey I think you get your $'s worth they have such a beautiful prooperty and so much to do. They also have some great restaurants and bars.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NycM26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado
Mission Bay Park
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!