“Trapped!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 3, 2005

Bad points:-
1. This hotel is MILES from the town of Coronado ($12 in a cab)
2. beer is €6 a bottle and the night we stayed there was no one in the restaurant.
3. It is a huge complex, they do not even give you a map - we got lost looking for our room, didn't even bother hunting for the pool and the bar is in the main foyer of the hotel
4. Decor in the corridors leaves a lot to be desired
5. They charge for parking even though the hotel is in the middle of nowhere

Good points:
1. beautiful room, with a great view of the bay - fab bathroom

5  Thank gergirl

Reviewed March 1, 2005

We have stayed at this hotel over a dozen times over the last 15 years at varying times of the year. This includes Christmas/New Years when certain wings (buildings) are shut down as well as the summer and spring. Our family "grew up" there. We hope to return this April 2005. We have had wonderful times and memories and some disapointments. Some staff members (like the concierge desk) have been outstanding (like the time I forgot my camera and they got me one to rent). They are very accomodating for making dinner and travel reservations! Others have been mediocre--try to change your room or extend your stay and you will run into difficulty. The desk staff is often clueless as to the various Loews national programs, frequent flyer miles, etc. An expensive place, it is nevertheless in a beautiful setting. Expect the food to be good but expensive. For those arriving at 10PM from east coast flights it will be room service! A car is a must. It's a bit of a drive to Orange Avenue, Coronado and the pickings in Imperial Beach are limited and not really safe to visit late in the evening. Parking at the hotel can be a little tight--you share parking with the marina crowd. Walking to your room is an experience because the layout is linear with long walks. (Plan ahead when you leave your room). Do experience the Silver Strand (beach), watch the lights come on in the hills of Mexico at night, take a boat from the hotel out into the bay and under the Coronado Bay bridge, enjoy a Margarita on your balcony as you watch the sailboats dock at the end of the day. Try to overlook the fact that there might be a dog in the room next to you, a large convention or meeting going on that dominates the place, and that the place is constantly being renovated. Exert care in planning your trip because there seem to be many days that rooms are listed as unavailable (?meetings). Enjoy the many pools but expect the lounge area to be a bit crowded if the weather is nice. Expect some services to be curtailed during the week and off season (poolside snack bar). At last count the number of tennis courts had decreased. The tennis clinics and instruction were a plus. The health club is fine and the staff courteous. The main restaurant was OK for one meal per stay but probably not worth coming back for a second one given the many restaurants in town. The grounds are safe and secure, good for bicycle riding (especially to the beach), but overall you will feel somewhat isolated. The place is best when there are no meetings and good weather!.

• Stayed: March 2005
10  Thank paulmiskovitz
Plano, Illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2005

My wife and I just stayed at Loews for 4 nights. Last year we were there 5 nights and its GREAT! I don't understand the negative reviews. The rooms are great, food is wonderful and the hotel staff could not be more accomodating. I asked for a coffemaker to be delivered both years upon my arrival and it was there within 5 minutes. We like Loews because its away from everything but its paradise all by itself! You do need a vehicle because you are approximately 5 miles from Coronado and 8 miles from San Diego. Who needs oceanfront property when you have 3 wonderfully heated pools and two spas available to you. We have not used the Salon/Spa that Loews offers but it sounds wonderful and plan on using it next year. The marina/pool view rooms are great but the entire complex is wonderful and they couldn't do enough for you. The door people are always there. We have never had to open the door to the hotel in the 9 nights we have been there. No matter what time it is. The Brigatine restaurant in Coronado is great as well. The Del is very nice but stuffy to even walk through. If you think Loews is bad, go over to Shelter Island. Loews is the Ritz compared to that place. We know because we thought we would try it this year and checked out of our hotel within 1 hour. Now that was a mistake and back to Loews we went. We will never try any place else in San Diego but Loews Coronado Bay Resort. Try it, you'll like it!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 28, 2005

We enjoyed our one-night stay in late December 2004 very much, though we did experience a significant glitch.

Our suite at Loew's Coronado (which was an upgrade due to our Platinum status) was extremely spacious and pleasantly decorated, if a tiny bit in need of a re-do -- nothing major, just some decor choices that now look slightly dated.

The bathroom was pretty fabulous, with a whirlpool tub and separate glass shower. There was a lovely balcony with a view of the bay, where we ate our room service breakfast.

We were treated to quite a nice bottle of wine as our Platinum amenity. There was also an iced bottle of champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries that were accompanied by a card welcoming us back to the hotel. That surprised us, since we've never stayed there before, though we've eaten dinner in one of the hotel's very upscale restaurants in the past (very good, by the way).

In any case, the staff was very helpful and we enjoyed our room service dinner and breakfast, which were delivered promptly. Our dog certainly loved the filet mignon and rice dinner we ordered for her from the doggie room service menu (long story -- we forgot to bring her regular food). She should have, for $19 plus service fee!

The only problem was with bell services. Our wait for someone to help us with our luggage was over 30 minutes, despite a couple of calls. They also left one item of luggage in our room, which we didn't discover until we were two hours away from the hotel. However, I must commend the front desk manager, who was both sympathetic and very helpful when we complained, and had our luggage item shipped to us.

Overall, I would assume that problem is unusual and I wouldn't hesitate to vacation at this hotel in the future. It has a beautiful location, though it's not terribly convenient to the "sights" -- be prepared for some driving if you plan to see SeaWorld, the Zoo or even downtown Coronado. If you just want a relaxing resort vacation and plan to sit by the pool enjoying the breeze, this is a great place for that.

1  Thank free101girl
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed January 15, 2005

We stayed at Loews Coronado Bay (LCB) the first week of January 2005 and loved our stay. We bought our reservations through hotwire.

I was worried about some of the negative ratings I read online and was prepared for the worst. We were pleasantly surprised. The furniture, bed skirt, and carpet were a well used but clean. This lived in style helped us to relax because it was not uncomfortably stiff. Our rooms were made up daily and maids never interfered with our stay.

Our base model room was decorated in a bright beach side cottage type of theme. We had a comfortable king size bed, with wonderful white cotton linens, and down comforter. The armiore was filled with a medium size tv, maybe 25", and a stocked refrigerator you can buy drinks and snacks from. There was a desk, bedside table and two comfortable chairs and an end table from which you could easily eat a meal. Our balcony, that overlooked the pools and the bay, had two chairs and a table for lounging on.
The room did not have a safe or coffee maker and there was not any type of continental breakfast. It did have an ironing board, hair dryer, luscious size towels, one robe, and nice bathroom soaps, lotions, and shampoos.

The hotel welcomed us and our Shih Tzu and offered to place protective netting on our balcony so he could not fall off. The net was placed within an hour of arriving. They also provided information on dog friendly restaurants, dog bowls and bones.

The staff at the front desk, bell boys, and concierge were available and concerned about our stay without being overly prying.

We did not use the pool or hottubs but they were open to the guest during our stay. The pools appeared to be heated. We also did not use the spa or work-out facilities because there was an additional fee for their use.

We ate at LCBs Market Cafe, once for dinner on the terrace with our dog, and once for breakfast in the dining room. I ate a specialty pizza that was unremarkable but good, and my husband enjoyed some type of steak sandwich. For breakfast we both enjoyed the huevos rancheros.
They refinished the the Market Cafe gift shop floors during our stay but it was still open and not a hindrance to our stay.

I found little information about guest experiences with their pets. I think I will expand on our experience. We kenneled our dog in our room during the day. If pets are not kenneled the maids will not enter the room. Upon our request, the Bell Boys graciously walked our dog for us twice daily and the staff knew our dog by name and often asked about his stay. The staff are not required to walk guest's pets but if they have time they will ($Tips are of course appreciated$). Otherwise there is a pet sitting service that charges something like $16 an hour the concierge can arrange. Our dog rates LCB with 5 stars. We did not hear other dogs barking, nor did we notice very many other dogs.

The concierge helped us fine tune our plans (we had to rearrange things due to the rain) and provided easy to follow directions on pre-printed cards. They also had pamphlets on all the area attractions. They also sell discounted tickets to area attractions. They even made reservations at Hotel Del Coronado's "Prince of Whales" Restaurant and LCB Gondola for us.

We went whale watching, the zoo, the wild animal park, and Sea World. We went to the Gaslamp district and bought several Italian wines at the Bacchus wine market and tasting room followed by dinner at Aqua al 2, an exquisite Italian restaurant. We enjoyed all of our eating experiences in Coronado too, Miracle Mile for breakfast, Bistro D' Asia and Miguel's Cocina for dinner. We brought a cooler and made several sandwiches to eat at the amusement parks. Saved by bringing our own lunches.

The Gondola tour was nice even though it was a little chilly, we brought our own bottle of wine and they provided a nice blanket and chocolate covered strawberries.

Because of the Hotel's proximity to the Navy base we were able to purchase gasoline, necessities and liquor from the base shoppette, located just inside the gate.
We arrived with our adventure park tickets already purchased from MWR but the Navy Base's MWR was nearby in the event we needed it.

I would recommend LCB to others guests who have pets, a budget, or military. I would recommend LCB to those who want a laid back quiet stay. I would recommend this hotel to those with a car and do not mind driving the short distance across the Coronado Bay Bridge to the area attractions.

I would not recommend this facility to those hoping to have a hotel with an easy access walk out-beach, the beach is about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk from the hotel. I also would not recommend this hotel to guests who are pretentious or snobby. I would not recommend this hotel to guests who do not have a vehicle.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed January 12, 2005

After a pretty good experience at the Loews Miami Beach, I decided to save a couple bucks by not staying at the Del and staying at the Loews Coronado on New Year's Eve instead. Immediately I was disappointed when realizing that the hotel had run out of king rooms - after arriving in the room, not upon check-in. The "grime" in the bathroom (on the toilet), stains on the carpet, chipped and peeling furniture, and faded upholstery really topped it off for me. I thought about checking out immediately but I knew that another hotel room in the area would cost me dearly. The restaurant service also left a lot to be desired, and my check-in amenity arrived 2 hours after I did. I agree that for the price I paid, I should have gotten a lot more for my buck, and been a lot closer to the action. I couldn't help but compare the room with the true 4-star hotels in which I have recently stayed. Having been a resident of San Diego for 4 years as a college student in the 90s, I would rather have stayed in one of my old apartments.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed January 2, 2005

I don't know what other negative reviewers are talking about. I just stayed 5 nights at the Loews Coronado and had a great time. The rooms were quite spacious and the bathrooms palatial, staff was friendly and accommodating, pools/jacuzzis were nice, and everything was quite clean (I had been nervous about this because the hotel allows dogs).

It is true that you NEED to have a car to stay here, because it is quite removed from the city or even town of Coronado... and some of the prices for extras (parking, toiletries, etc.) are a little insulting after you've spent a good deal on the room rate, but all in all I would definitely recommend the Loews Coronado. It is NOT as bad as many of the reviewers here would have you believe!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!