“A week in paradise!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Leawood, Kansas
“A week in paradise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Decided to take my daughter to San Diego for spring break. Of all the hotels Loews Coronado Bay Resort caught my eye. Although off the beaten path, it was just what I needed to refresh & unwind after the busy holiday and winter months. The room was spacious, clean and had all the amenities we required. Each day the sun burned through the clouds by noontime. There were a few exceptions but it only threatened to rain for a few minutes, or clouded over. However, the weather beat out the true winter my home state of Kansas was experiencing this week.
We toured San Diego & had a great spa day - thanks to VV!!!
A return visit is assured!

Linda & Kim (Leawood, Kansas)

Room Tip: Any room. We had a Bay view, but the pool or marina views are just as good.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
LoewsCoronadoBay, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're so pleased that you were able to refresh and unwind here at Loews Coronado Bay, and that we provided all the amenities you require. We hope you get some better weather in Kansas these next few weeks and look forward to your next visit.

Brian Johnson
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
NY NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

Just completed a 3-night stay at the Loews Coronado. On balance, a good experience, but with some important caveats: (1) a series of mysterious charges, amounting to $112, appeared on my bill at check out. They included an $84 self-parking fee. HUH?! The desk clerk readily removed the fees without any fuss, but seeing these left a very bad taste. (2) agree with previous reviews re: egregious add-on fees, and will also highlight outrageous "Bistro to Go" prices. $4 for a plain bagel is just abusive. It's one thing to charge a premium for convenience, it's another to leave your guests feeling abused. (3) consistent with my previous two comments: my daughter left behind her beloved pillow pet, which security is sending to our home. I'll pay the UPS charges PLUS a $5 "processing fee." Really, Loews? Nickle-and-diming a guest over a child's lovey? I'd like to think the Loew's franchise had more class than that. (4) sloppy housekeeping. I confess, we're not the neatest people around. I was disappointed to come back to our room after a day of sightseeing and find the bathroom counter hadn't been well-cleaned, toiletries not always re-stocked. Plus- my young son had a bed-wetting accident one night, and I left the top sheets off the bed and on the floor as a sign to change all linens. Well, they hadn't been changed. I can't imagine that the staff made that bed without noticing the dampness and smell of urine, and then to cover it up with top sheets- gross. I had to call them and expressly ask that they change the entire bed.

But I did say it was an overall good experience, so here is what we did like:

- heated pools!
- We liked the location. At this time of year, when traffic is light, we found we readily got to the big attractions without a problem. It was nice to come back to a quieter part of the island after a day of crowds at attractions
- Generally very good service, especially the concierge
- While the "Bistro to Go" prices are outrageous, other restaurant/drink prices are in line with what you'd expect at a 4-star resort
- Very family-friendly, with nice touches: treasure hunt map for kids, toy availability, etc.

Room Tip: Avoid pool-facing rooms- much noisier.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
LoewsCoronadoBay, General Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. Your feedback is extremely important to us and helps us understand areas where we're thriving vs. areas in need of attention.

First, we're pleased that you enjoyed the location and family-friendly amenities, as well as found the overall level of service -- particularly the concierge -- to be good. However, we are sorry about any "mysterious charges", as this is definitely not the norm at Loews. We also apologize for your experience with housekeeping and have shared the incident with our staff. Our management team will use this as a training opportunity to ensure that nothing like this happens again.

I assure you that your experiences mentioned in your review are not typical, and we appreciate you bringing these items to our attention. We have shared all your comments with our team to ensure more attentive service. We take great steps to provide a positive guest experience, and we sincerely hope you will stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to address the issues of concern.

Brian Johnson
Managing Director
Honey Grove, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

Loews is a first class resort and we loved everything about it EXCEPT the noise level in our suite. This was due to the connecting door to the next door suite. No insulation at all apparently, to the point that the family next door might as well have been in our suite with us. Not unreasonable noise, just the normal noise generated by a family on vacation but we were forced to share it all.
We were in the bayside suites, far too expensive to have to put up with the poor job Loews did to soundproof these units. My other two complaints are: no refrigerator and no in-room safe. Two things I'd expect, and get, at any Best Western or Holiday Inn.
The resort is top notch otherwise. I would have given it five stars except for the suite issues.

Room Tip: Avoid suites with connecting doors unless you're with the people in the adjoining suite.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LoewsCoronadoBay, Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. We're pleased that you loved the hotel and felt it was top notch; however, we apologize for your noise issues, as well as the absence of a refrigerator and safe. The good news is that the safes are on the way and refrigerators are available for purchase, but we are sorry that you were not able to take advantage of these amenities. We sincerely hope you will stay with us again and give us another opportunity to serve you. Should you return, please feel free to contact any of our managers for personal assurance that your next stay will be comfortable.

santa fe nm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed at the Loew's Coronado to visit the island for the first time and enjoy the beaches. The property is well away from the activity of Coronado beach and the 'Del' area, but within an easy few minute drive. I mostly stayed here because of their dog friendly policy, and also the internet price for the bayside room. The hotel does, however, tack on many fees including a daily resort fee and parking fee (self parking- really?), which upped the rate $50. per night.

A disappointment was the delay in access to the room upon arrival, and the disappearance of a bottle of wine that had been placed on the back seat when I left the car with the valet to check in. in.

The property itself is quite beautiful and safe. I walked the dog pretty much everywhere and there are several 'relief' areas between the buildings. The room was literally on the water and just a gorgeous view across the bay. The spa is quite pleasant and I enjoyed a fabulous massage by Betty (recommend!).

Imperial Beach further down the road is a great beach, as is the ocean side of Silver Strand. Coronado village and beach are very crowded, particularly on weekends.

I would stay here again if given a great deal on the room, factoring in all the add ons.

Room Tip: If possible, go for a grand king on the bay side.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank buckaru2
LoewsCoronadoBay, Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're pleased that you found the property to be beautiful and safe, and that Betty was able to provide you with a fabulous massage. We are very sorry, however, that you were disappointed with the delay in access to the room upon arrival. We sincerely hope you will stay with us again and give us another opportunity to welcome you.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed at this property March 2014 for a conference and had a great experience. Arrived at the front desk after a 12 hour travel day (should have been 5) and was greeted with great warmth and friendliness. Was upgraded to a king room with a beautiful view of the bay, super clean, super comfortable, great bathroom (awesome bath sheets!!!!) with a separate shower and soaker tub. Room was well-decorated in white and light aqua, which I always think is a great choice for a hotel by the ocean. What really makes this place is the staff - Scott in Cays Lounge and Margarita in the coffee shop were always incredibly welcoming and helpful without being oily. Also the valet captain (from Vegas maybe - can't recall his name) and the valets who drive the shuttle are very friendly and helpful. The only negative is that the hotel is quite far from the town ($20 cab ride) so using the shuttle that the hotel provides is the way to go. I'll go back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
LoewsCoronadoBay, Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. We're so glad to hear that you were greeted with a warm welcome after a long trip, and we appreciate the mentions of specific staff members -- Scott, Margarita and our valet crew are all terrific assets to the team. We look forward to your next stay with us!

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Spent two days at this property for business, but was able to work-in some recreation as well. It's about 15 minutes from San Diego on the southern edge of Coronado. The location is close enough to easily access the restaurants and shops of Coronado, and downtown San Diego is just a few more minutes up the road.

The rooms at the hotel are just fine. They're only slightly dated, and I found them to be clean, quiet and comfortable. The bathrooms are huge, with upscale amenities. Housekeeping comes twice per day, which is a nice plus if you're using the pool or beach.

The hotel is large and spread-out. If you're in buildings three or four, plan on a good walk to get to the lobby area of the pool. I don't consider this an issue at all unless you have mobility challenges.

The pool area is great, with a bar and food service in addition to family pools as well as an adults-only pool. I found plenty of chairs, and it was easy to be alone and quiet or as active as you want to be.

Finally, the staff was great. All were pleasant and made me feel as though I was a special and important guest. I'd definitely return to this property with my wife in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool can be noisy on the weekends. I'd suggest requesting a bay-view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're pleased that you found the pool area to be great and that you felt the staff was "pleasant". We take pride in our service standards and will be happy to share your comments with the team. We look forward to you and your wife's stay with us in the future.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I got a spectacular bay view, watched the sunrise, took a wonderful bath in a sunken tub in my wonderful room and sat out on my balcony in a cozy bathrobe, browsed the shops, had a lavender martini (finally found another one, one other place that makes them is in Minneapolis, MN) out by the fire on the deck, the staircase in the lobby here is fantastic, service is superb, the cafe for lunch amazing, the different buildings is a bit overwhelming and confusing,and my room did not get serviced with more towels or my bed made the second day but the travel agent rate and overall cleanliness is great, there are pools just for adults which is nice, and I got a wonderful travel agent rate at this hotel....so overall great service for the rate I was able to get, I will definatley stay again, love that it is on the island that I love!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
LoewsCoronadoBay, Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. We're delighted that you found the service to be superb, the room wonderful and lunch amazing. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Director of Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 16 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,956 reviews

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!