“Excellent hotel if you upgrade room”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed there 5 days in Nov for conference. My room was excellent, view of bridge and pacific was magical. My co workers were not so lucky, their views were of walls and balconies. Hotel services were first class, attended a gala in the ball room and food was surprisingly excellent and plentiful. Drawbacks are they nickel and dime you..They charge $25.00 for self parking and $30.00 for valet. 10.00 for fridge. Taxi from airport can be as much as $45.00 - 75.00, so rent a car as you can not walk into Coronado.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anna C
Write a ReviewReviews (4,558)

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed there for four night last week. It was for business for me and vacation for my husband. The grounds and surrounding area make it somewhat difficult to go into conference sessions all day! We did have lunches outside. On cooler days the staff had the outdoor heaters running. We lucked out and had a full bay view. We could watch the tide come in and out. It was facing the east so I was worried about the morning sun! Fortunately the curtains didn't allow the sun to wake us too early.
The hotel is not close to anything. They have a beach, restaurants and you can rent boats or take a gondola ride, but if you want most anything else it is a drive. The town is not far and is charming, with restaurants and shopping. You can rent bikes and bike through some of the local neighborhoods.

Room Tip: Almost all of the rooms have a full or partial bay view, some have views of a citrus or herb garden...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

San Diego was the first stop for us on our honeymoon at the end of October. We were greeted with a warm reception by Billy ( I think that was his name, he was from Chicago). He was very helpful with ideas for things to do in the area and gave a quick run down on the property. We stayed in building 5. Our room had a bay view and was very quiet. We never heard noise from the military base, the bay or other rooms. Our room was very clean, nicely appointed. The property is about a 10 min drive from the center of Coronado island but we didn't feel like this was a problem. We could easily access shops, restaurants and the ferry to downtown San Diego. Loews Coronado does not charge resort fees but they will charge for self parking, $25/day. I can't comment on the restaurant or cafe because we only bought a couple of bottles of water. If we ever visit San Diego in the future we would definitely consider staying at the Loews.

Room Tip: If you are celebrating a special occasion it might help to mention it while you are making your rese...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to Lowes to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When booking the reservation, I requested a deluxe king with full views of the bay and San Diego. Our room had a separate living room with a couch, television, and desk. Our patio was quite small, and it faced the hotel head on, and the bay to our right. From the patio, I cannot see the views of San Diego unless I stand up and go to the corner if the patio. The shower is very, very small! The hotel charges 30 dollars a day for valet parking, 25 for self park. Although I had a spa service, they charged my husband 10 to use the gym. As a hotel guest, I find that to be a bit tacky. While we had no real problems, I would not stay here again

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 31, 2013

A very nice hotel located about 10 mins from the town center. They have a great coffee shop that's open 24 hours. Rooms were nice and the pool area looked great. The only problem besides the location is the military aircraft that seem to buzz the hotel often. The staff was great and very helpful and professional. The meals we had as part of the conference were very good and served by a great staff.

Room Tip: go for a poolside room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I attended a business meeting here for a few days. I arrived early and had lunch in the Market. The food was good but a bit pricey. I was given a free room upgrade and allowed to check in a few hours early. I stayed in a bay view queen suite. The room was spacious, clean and up to date. I particularly enjoyed the Japanese soaking tub. The bathroom fixtures were a cut above what you would expect. The house keeping staff was very friendly and efficient. The balcony view was amazing. We had several meals catered during our meetings. I recommend the creme' brulee.
I liked the all glass shower but I noticed mine leaked onto the bathroom floor a bit, My room was very quiet.
The hotel staff was very friendly and professional. The common ares were immaculate.
I recommend using a shuttle service to and from the airport at $15 per trip plus tip...a bargain.
The pool was very nice and not too crowded. The beach was also very nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sogalaw
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We loved our stay at Loews. Loved the proximity to the beach- which was essentially empty.
Loved the pool area. Super clean and attentive staff.
The lobby was gorgeous. And
the views were spectacular.
Two negatives- first, we were there for a week. And we never quite figured out how the shuttle service worked. Sometimes there was flexibility, and other times there wasn't. We had a particularly hard time with Wes. Talk about inflexible. The second negative, would be the cost of taxis to get anywhere. It is quite expensive so if you plan on eating out budget for it.

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 286 in San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!