“Joy filled experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Utica, New York
“Joy filled experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I can't wait to go back to the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I had been on a business trip in San Diego and had an extra weekend. Booked here because I got a great deal. It was the greatest stress reliever ever. Lovely spot surrounded by water, great for just walking as well. I rented one of the bikes and had an easy and wonderful ride all over the island. Nice beach and had fun exploring downtown Coronado stores and restaurants, though I did have a car. As some have mentioned it's a bit out of the way -- but that's the joy. Staff is friendly and helpful. Loved the toiletries. I didn't find anything to not like about this place. If I can't afford to live on Coronado, I can at least stay here and let the stress wear off on occasion.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
Ballston Lake, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

After seeing a few negatives here, I must say I was a bit cautious. From the minute I checked in, I have zero complaints. Every staff member from the bell captains, front desk, pool, housekeeping and shuttle drivers have been polite and courteous. Dana at reception took the time to give me the lay of the land which was an immense help since I'm traveling alone. Yes, food and drink is pricey and not many other options given the location.
Speaking of location, the worse part of coming here was the Super Shuttle driver who was clearly irritated that he had to bring one passenger 'way out in the middle of nowhere'. . My only feedback would if Leows would consider their own affordable shuttle to/from the airport. I paid $16 and driver made 5 other stops so my 12 pm 'appointment' got me in at 2 pm. Not a great start to my vacation but not the fault of Leows. Within 20 minutes of my arrival it was all good.
Grounds are gorgeous, rooms, halls, lobby all spotless. And, the walk to the beach is incredibly easy and therapeutic after a 7 hour flight. They also offer to shuttle you to the beach and the shuttles to and from town are easy to. Great drivers!!!!
Thanks Leows! You made my first visit to the west coast and San Diego fabulous! Just consider some less expensive food options and your own shuttle for airport.

Room Tip: Depends on what you are looking for. I loved building 4 and 3rd floor but some may think its too f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cheshire England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

A very lovely resort surrounded on all sides by water.

Very reasonable rates (try booking through Alpha Rooms Uk) who have super rates for this hotel.

Not far from Coronado and the hotel, though very large, feels tropical and warm.

San Diego easily accessible over wonderful flyover to the city.

Great value in expensive California.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marsha123
Woodland Park, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Reading all previous reviews, I booked a reservation with minor concerns about the quality we would experience for the cost and relative inconvenience of Loews' distance from downtown Coronado. We (2 adults, one eight-year-old) were pleasantly surprised at how much we loved this hotel, having stayed at an excellent (but pricey) Coronado hotel for many years in the past.
It is quite true that you will need a car to access this hotel or dine anywhere in the vicinity There are many affordable and excellent restaurants within 5 miles/ short drive. This wasn't a concern for us, as we always get a rental car in San Diego, and cars are pretty cheap in SAN compared to e.g. Denver. It is also true that parking is $20/night. However, if you book a special rate and add in what you will pay for parking for the entirety of your stay, you'll find that the total nightly rate is STILL cheaper than local competing hotels. Freebies such as beach chairs, pool & beach toys, umbrellas etc also add value because they cost a lot to rent. We also avoided the cost of incidentals by stopping at Von's market and buying breakfast food, snacks, drinks etc and placing them in a styrofoam cooler in our room. We took that cooler to the beach, too, it was very handy!
Our standard king room overlooked the pool area and was large, spotlessly clean and well-appointed. The air-conditioning worked well and we didn't experience any ambient noise in late August. Parking was in a covered garage, close to room & easy. The decor is modern, cool & inviting. The pool area is absolutely wonderful for families. Not as noisy as I'd feared, most folks are just enjoying themselves and children seemed pretty well-behaved. There are good drinks and snacks available poolside if you want to splurge. A nice touch is an adult-only pool & hot tub. I saw a staff member enforce this promptly (but politely), which was reassuring. The overall quality of customer service at Loew's was very good to excellent. Their personnel at all levels seem genuinely interested in the guests' comfort.
One additional consideration: the "incidentals deposit" per night here is sizable. It is equal to your nightly rate times the number of nights you are staying. This is refunded upon checkout minus any room charges you have incurred. So be sure to bring a credit card with a high limit. I used cash and was refunded on the spot upon checkout.
Overall we had a lovely time here and look forward to visiting again next year!

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the pool area might be quieter in peak season. If you make a room deposit wi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank worldtraveleramym
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel is a great getaway for family that live in Los Angeles!
There are tons of family activities and thing for the kids to do. Another bonus is this hotel is pet friendly, which u would never notice since it is impeccably clean.
The rooms are spacious and all have a nice view, one thing to keep in mind is the breeze way between each set of room creates an ideal environment for sound travel so if you don't want the entire world to hear your conversation, close your balcony door. We heard an entire fight a couple was having in a room across the breezy way from us. Other then the sound traveling I was very impressed and happy with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a very nice property. We were there for a conference and we got a special conference rate. Rooms were clean and quiet and i believe some of the rooms had views of the bay. I was looking into a bush and hot tub. Food was very good at one of the resturants and service was good but then no one was there.
My complaints are they have attrocious rates to go on the Internet and then we were charged $25 a day for parking. You pretty well have to have a car as there is nothing close by. They had some craft beers on the patio louge which we ordered a sampler tray. None are recommended and a couple are terrible.

Room Tip: I did not really have a good room but i heard from others there is some good views of the bay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I appreciate your review of the property and your experience throughout your stay. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the restaurants and had great service. I have forwarded your comments regarding craft beer options onto our director of F&B so he can review what is provided in the sampler tray. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chico, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have stayed all over the world in everything from 2 stars to 6 stars. This is a not a 5 star resort, maybe a 3. The air conditioning in my room did not work, I had to call maintenance. There is nothing nearby you will need a car. In fact it is a 10 minute walk to the beach. If you do not have a car the only restaurant are in the hotel. Expensive dining. The resort is a little worn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
4.5 of 5 stars 1,830 reviews
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 stars 4,323 reviews

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!