“you have take the very good with some bad.”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Last minute arrangements for a room and a cabana by the pool, turned out to be very nice for us. We arrive and the doorman, the bellman are very respectful and helpful. check in was very easy and my wife asked about an upgrade that was on are reservation, the young lady looked into it and we got a view overlooking the pool and the bay. great view. But when we got to the room we notice that the hair dryer was out, Odd I thought. The bellman said it should have been put in a bag on the bathroom door, he put it away. But we were just happy to be there and out of the heat that I did not look away much, besides this is a 5 star place. we went out onto the balcony and had a few beers and order some food from the pool side kitchen and enjoyed the view. the food was good and hit the spot. then we went to the patio that looks out into San Diego bay and had a few drinks and watch the sunset and the light of SD come on. the fireworks from the SD stadium went off and we knew it was time for bed. So back to the room got ready for bed and went to sleep with dreams of thee cabana and the pool the next day. I am the first to wake up. I go in the bathroom to do my thing (witch takes awhile) I am looking a round and Notice that the shower stuff in the shower are used, then I think about the day before. when I washed my hand the day before the soap was not wrapped up, the bath mate was on the floor, now the shower stuff is used. very, very odd. I ask my wife if when we got there she unwrapped the soap, No she did not. Light bulb goes off in my head this was an upgrade to a dirty room. I call house keeping and let them know that things are not right. the House keeping Manager come up to take a look at the room with the maid she starts apologizing for the room and tells me to talk to the manager of the place. so after they clean the place me and my wife shower and pack are bags. (we are leaving after we use the cabana for the day) So we go down to check out and ask to talk to the manager. Very Nice man. we let him know what was happening in his place, we are not mad, we like the place. Great Views, Nice people,... He say let me check into this and he would get back to use. We inform him that we real like the place and that we will be her next year, he ask when, we say the same time next year. He say like see want I can do to get you a place for the same time.
we inform him that we will be by the pool all day in cabana no. 2. so come out with use and puts in a good work to the pool manager and buys us a bucket of beer, that was nice but not needed. the pool manager get his best person to take care of us. Brando takes very good care of use for the rest of the day. the Manager comes out and says he has looked into the room problem and is very sorry for the mishap and say that he will take care of are bar tap from last night get an upgrade for next year.
I like to inform the manager when I get good service or when things are wrong. I do not expeat them to do so much to compensate.
Sometimes you just have to take some bad to get to the very good stuff.
Frank

Room Tip: book early and ask for an upgrade. I liked the room over looking the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Spent 4 nights with our family at Loews. We enjoyed most of our stay but would not be returning for few reasons. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS
~ Nice lobby area and great views of the bay
~ The hotels has access to many activities (renting bikes, boats, jet skis etc.)
~ Service was great from the valet to the servers at the restaurant
~ Great activities for kids

CONS
~ Very long wait to get a crib that we requested (2 hours and several phone calls) - although we were there over labor day weekend so the hotel was very busy
~ The location is very far from the center of Coronado. We had a car so it was convenient to leave but I WOULD NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL if you don't have a car or other means of transportation
~ Laundry machine is free but TERRIBLE.
~ Food options are very limited and very mediocre food for the cost - again, the importance of having a car to try other restaurants in Coronado
~ They have Starbucks options at the 24/7 market but it was terrible coffee
~ Beach is far enough away that you need a golf cart to drop you off which makes it quite inconvenient.
~ Pool seems quite cramped especially when it's crowded

TIP
~ Valet is only $5 more per day compared to self park. I would highly recommend valet parking if you have your own car

Overall, I wouldn't stay again due to the location. We regretted not staying at the Hotel del Coronado for the location and the beautiful beach access.

Room Tip: Building 4 and 5 are very far from the lobby. Try to get a room in buildings 1,2, and 3.
1  Thank ABleekwon
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Pros: Very kid friendly and dog friendly place and on my list for the next girls getaway :)h. A perfect balance for parents with little kids who want their own peace and tranquility and yet keep kids busy. Staff is excellent, with customer service clearly being a priority for everyone from the bellman to the excellent on site concierge team - they all go out of their way to make you happy. Rooms are a good size ,parking under the buildings makes walk from your car to your room very convenient. On site marina is great, creating a nice ambience and offering all kinds of water activities. View of the bay and the pool are very nice and throughout the hotel, makes you feel completely de-stressed. Truly enjoyed the breakfast buffet as well as a la carte on both days, quality of food and options are good. Coming from seattle, the food didn't feel expensive :) but on higher side from places in California.

Cons: No direct beach access. They do have shuttles to downtown but if you stay long and don't want to go to downtown, you are stuck with the 2 options on site, which can be limiting. We didn't have this problem as we did head to downtown for dinners, would have liked more options by the pool for vegetarians. Exercise facility should be complementary for the resort of this caliber, feels poor taste to charge for this.

Room Tip: If you want a quite room, try buildings 3,4 or 5. 1 and 2 overlook the sitting area, lounge which ca...
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am a big fan of all of the Loews hotels. I have been staying on their properties for about five or six years now and I believe that they are simply a step above the rest (Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton etc.). That being said, I have stayed at the Coronado Loews in particular many times over the last several years. They are wonderful with my little dog, and they treat me as if I am just as important as any large group or event that they may be entertaining during my visit. I recently visited in August and have to say that this was beyond great service. Although I did not travel with my pet this trip, they were ready from the start with treats, and bowls for her. From the time I first checked in at the front desk, (Angelica) to the service at the pool,(Danielle) the service at Mistral,(can't remember all their names) service at the lobby bar, the house keeping & room service department...everyone was amazing. Even the folks by the water that rent the paddle boards were accommodating. They truly went over & above to make sure I felt as if they cared, and I certainly did. Not only did they take such good care of me, but my room was immaculate, the pool was beautiful as always, and the more recent renovations of the lobby were just perfect. Even after check out, there was a charge on my Amex card that should have been put on my Visa, I had simply called to determine what the charge was, and they credited the charge for making the error...unbelievable. Wayne in the customer service department was beyond accommodating. I will always stay at the Loews Coronado when visiting SD. I would suggest others to give it a try too! Looking forward to staying with them this month in St. Petersburg FL!

Room Tip: I am a Loews First Member and received a complimentary upgrade. I loved my room as usual, and I alw...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This property has slipped a bit from years past. Cost-cutting seems to have impacted the property: the quality of the doggie amenities have declined, the pet fee has increased from $25 per stay to $25 per day, the complimentary paper has been eliminated, etc. Not one item is enough to ruin your stay, but together they combine to lessen the overall experience. On the plus side, the room product is still in good condition and the property is maintained well. The Loews is still a pretty good hotel; it just isn't as great as it one was.

Room Tip: Views from either the pool or bay side are nice, but to avoid the noise from the pool, request a roo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SunandSandMike
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Loews is definitely a great stay! It has a few pools, including an adult-only pool as well as a great spa and gym. Everyone was super accommodating. They have a free shuttle to take you into the small town of Coronado for shopping/restaurants. The FOOD is AWESOME on-site. There really is no reason to leave. The staff is super helpful, the bartender and waitresses were amazing! So many common areas to relax in.

The hotel is a bit further down the strip than the Hotel Del Coronado but it offers seclusion. It isn't on the beach, but the beach there isn't anything to get excited about. The beach is deserted, if you want to relax. And by relax, I mean COMPLETELY DISAPPEAR from the world. SO NICE!!!

The only thing was that the rooms need a bit of updating, but I'm told that they're doing this early next year. Can't wait to return at some point in the near future. Loved it!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the bar/main common area. You could see the bay and water but people could also...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kristy Lee H
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Pros: Staff is excellent, with customer service clearly being a priority for everyone from the bellman to the excellent on site concierge team - they all go out of their way to make you happy. Rooms are a good size and were obviously renovated a few years ago, so in fairly good shape with pleasant décor. Parking under the buildings makes walk from your car to your room very convenient. On site marina is great, creating a nice ambience and offering all kinds of water activities, gondola rides, etc. at pretty reasonable rates. View of the bay can be very nice (assuming you have an upper floor room, since for some inexplicable reason the hotel chooses to allow landscaping to grow above first floor level). Overall a very nice place to stay.
Cons: No direct beach access or view denies this property a true beach resort feel, which the convenient golf cart service to the close by public beach just doesn't compensate for. Pools are dated (no lazy river, slides for kids, fountains, etc) and feel like too much has been packed into a small space - between the many chairs, kids games, etc., their is barely room to walk around the pool deck. On site food is predictably high priced ($14 burger/fries at pool) but probably the same as other hotels these days, and of very good quality. The "Loews loves Kids" slogan on web site seems to be all marketing - the Kids Club is just a large room for kids five and under, and the on site kids activities seem very basic and low key versus a well structured program. Since this hotel requires a drive to Coronado's business district, when you aren't in the mood for the 10 minute drive and parking, you have to eat on site - which after a day or two gets monotonous because the two casual restaurants have very narrow menus which never change and have nearly identical selections. Mistral, the third restaurant is very upscale so we did not use it. Exercise facility is just average for a hotel calling itself a resort.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor room or in many rooms you'll end up with no view at all because of landscapin...
1  Thank Travellinpat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!