“Nice place to stay, but ...”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Nice place to stay, but ...”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

No really, this is a great place to go and just be. The pool was great, the room was great, we had a good breakfast at the hotel and a nice walk along the bay. The room was clean and well maintained, the bathroom was huge, but the shower was a little small. It look like they recently redid the rooms and they did a nice job.

We got our room on priceline and I think that we got it at a little over $100 a night, remember when booking that parking is ridiculous at $25 a night and you have no choice but to pay it. Valet is $30, but then you have to tip :)

The other thing that may be a bit of a deterrent is that you are out there, you aren't really close to anything and you really have to drive everywhere. I like to be able to walk into town and get coffee or whatever, but this place is a good 3 miles from the center of town. Again, not a huge deal, but you should know when you are booking the trip.

I hope this helps

Room Tip: If you want to see the bay try to get a room on an upper level and in building 3.
1 Thank RussD7s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (929)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a place ....perfect for relaxing. We were ending our drive the California coast from Sn Francisco over an eight day period and I made sure that the last two days were spent at the Loews ...smartest decision of the entire trip. I had stayed at the Del Coronado a long time ago and couldn't get over how expensive the place was. Following some internet searches ...I came across the Loews on Coronado Island .....stunning place for the price. As previously stated .....a good 15 minutes from downtown ...but well worth it if you want to relax. The place is just beautiful .....open air concept ....phenomenal lobby bar with staged terraces ....opulent outdoor couches ....with heating lamps and built in fire pits in the center piece of the tables ....with a stunning view of the bay. Rooms were huge and extremely welcoming. we truly enjoyed our time by the pool .....(the one for adults only ....one for kids is also available). Pool area is huge ...with a nice bar / tapas section. Incredible table service for cocktails and snacks. We were fortunate to rent one of the cabanas by the pool for the day ... a must do. Three cabanas are available on a first come, first serve basis. Make sure you rent the one from the spa - early in the morning or the night before .....price was $140 for the entire day .....it comes with a bottle of California sparkling wine (champagne) ...an array of face creams, bode creams and sunscreen, lemon / cucumber flavoured water dispense ...real refreshing and a bowl of face towels ...in an ice bowl with cucumbers for the eyes .....staff serviced our cabana every hour asking if everything was ok - WOW !!!!! This was a steal for the service we received. We had the chance to dine at the facility's restaurant on the second floor (name escapes me ...we had a later dinner). the service was exceptional ,,,,,the starter dishes out of this mind ....especially the mushroom risotto and the lobster risotto ( get a full lobster tail for $10 !!!!!!!!!! ....excuse me .....how is this even possible in such a wonderful place ....anyhow, we indulged and had no choice but to re-order !!! LOL. As stipulated, need to pay for parking and wifi .....but if you are going there as a lover's weekend retreat or a two - three day escape ....who cares about the wifi. Enjoy this real gem on Coronado Island.

1 Thank Jifffer
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. A great detailed review of your experience and it delights me that we met and exceeded your expectations. Your comments are definitely appreciated and your experience will be shared with team as this is what we strive for. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next romantic getaway.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here when I was competing in a triathlon that took part in the water, road and sand just across the way. The room, hotel and amenties are very very nice and super clean. All the staff was wonderful accommodating a bunch of triathletes wheeling their bikes thru the lobby. The only downside I can think of is that it is a little far from the rest of town but this is also a plus as the beach isnt crowded.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brendan H
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It’s great to hear you had such a wonderful experience with us. I’m very happy you participated in the triathlon and were able to enjoy the resort and friendly staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Queens, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I was here for a recent annual meeting. If you don't mind being away from the center of town, this is a great option. I had a very spacious room overlooking the bay with views of the Coronado Bridge and the San
Diego skyline. Very relaxing. Staff was always very helpful and attentive although I had glitch with their transportation service returning from town and was late for a meeting as a result. If you have a chance, rent a bike and ride to the ferry landing. Great bike path. Loved the tapas like menu at the Minstral and the bartender/waiter there was very helpful.
Great views and rooms. Overall very relaxing and positive.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It’s great to hear you had such a wonderful experience with us. I’m very happy you we able to experience Mistral and enjoy the relaxing environment. Your kind comments about the staff will definitely be shared with them. I apologize for the transportation issue and that it caused you to be late to your meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Franklin
Reviewed June 5, 2013

From the moment we entered the hotel, the staff were all pleasant, professional and just plain ole' helpful! It is close to the Del and many attractions in Coronado. Our room was a deluxe king. And simply gorgeous.

3 criticisms: 1) have to pay $12 per day to use Wi-fi in room (although free in lobby), 2) $10 per day to use workout room. 3) $25 per day to park...$30 for valet svc. These first 2 charges are ridiculous in my mind. Most nice hotels and resorts do not charge for these basic services. The parking....we be easier to take if they were in crowded city facility. But, they have plenty of space. Kind of a rip off I think.

Room Tip: We had third floor facing bay...a little more but worth it in my book.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DorothyLouise
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have always been a big fan of The Loews properties. I stay at any of the Loews whenever I can. This property was absolutely wonderful. I had the privilege of staying at another Loews run by Mr. Johnson. It seems wherever he goes, superb guest services experience follows. The staff are very courteous and well trained. The facility is meticulous in every way possible. The pools, guest rooms, public areas are well kept and maintained, they were even waxing the beautiful tile in the lobby the next morning of our stay. We had plans to go site seeing while in the area and we ended up staying at the resort all day soaking up the sun by one of their beautiful pools. I happened to run into a client of mine who was staying there as well and we went up to Mistral for dinner, the menu was great and the server was amazing (Can't remember his name). This server knew the menu in details, he was able to answer every question we had and was able to steer us to get most of the items he suggested. Being in the hotel industry myself and used to working in 5 stars properties for a big part of my career, I send my kudos to the staff and management of this beautiful resort. See you next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. It’s great to hear you had such a wonderful experience with us. I’m very happy you we able to experience Mistral and had a wonderful dining experience and received exceptional service. I will be passing on your kind comments to Mr. Johnson as I know he would appreciate them as he is very proud of the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Irvine
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We looked forward to staying at this "Luxury Hotel" and were soooo disappointed.
We had to wait 1.5hrs for our room to be ready. We were not offered the opportunity to wait pool side or anywhere else in the hotel. Staff was not cheerful or helpful, they seemed like they didn't want to be there and could care less wether we were there or not. I was offered a drink while I waited and when I said yes he said the best he could do is give me "ice water"...seriously. The rooms were average NOT luxurious. Beds were uncomfortable, none of us slept well. Linens were average, not luxurious. Towels were rough and smelled awful. Bath products smelled awful. Bathroom was the nicest part of the hotel but shower was awkward to use. We were not offered directions to our room, I had to ask how to get there and where to park. There is nothing to do there except go to the pool. There is no easy access to the beach. It to far from town to walk and the hotel does not even offer bikes to ride into town (the SD Sheraton on the Marina does and we enjoyed that very much). We paid $33 for 3 drinks at the pool, they were completely filled with ice and hardly any drink....WAY OVERPRICED. Bottled water in the room was $8 for a regular bottle of water (no we were not dumb enough to open one of those). There was supposed to be some kids fun rooms but we were never told about them and we never found them. The hotel seems dated, not luxurious at all (the website pic of the lobby is very deceiving) and over priced for the facilities and experience. We were soooo disappointed that we packed up and left early in the morning. Very big waist of our vacation funds and time. We visit San Diego at least once a year but had never been to Coronado Island and our experience at the hotel ruined our experience of the island :(
I would not stay there again if they paid me to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Cindy R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 16 in Coronado
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!