“Escape to Comfort & Tranquility in San Diego Coronado Island” 5 of 5 stars

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Escape to Comfort & Tranquility in San Diego Coronado Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Thanksgiving 2012 my girlfriend and I wanted to get away for the holiday and my birthday. We knew we wanted to go to San Diego and stay on Coronado Island where we found this absolute gem of a resort. The resort is modern, comfortable, with every amenity for the relaxing spa types or the active couples.

We loved our room with a bay view. Big comfortable bed, big screen LCD TV. Spacious bathroom with a soaking tub big enough for two, very romantic. Service at the resort was first class. Parking was a breeze. They have a beautiful bar/lounge and outside patio area with fire-pits. We avoided the family pool and opted for the more quiet adult pool and hot tub. We played Tennis and would have partaken in even more of the resorts amenities if we had more time.

The resort is just outside Main St. Coronado and we didn't mind the short but scenic drive a couple miles down the beach to where it was very private and exclusive. Never felt touristy or crowded and we cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Request a Bay view room away from the pool if you want quiet beauty.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
Coronado, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I recently spent my birthday at Sea Spa for some well deserved pampering. I live in the area and love the Hotel, right on the water (don't miss Mistral Restaurant for an elegant dinner or the Market Cafe for their Sunday Brunch). This was my first time at the Spa and it is lovely! I had an amazing Balinese Massage from a gifted soul named Stacey and an equally amazing Signature Facial from another gifted soul, Ashley. I spent the rest of the day enjoying the other numerous amenities. From the private 85* still water pool and jacuzzi, both located on the lower ground area to the 2 larger pools on the upper ground area; the largest steam room ever, that offers an incredibley powerful steam experience and a beautiful dry sauna room. Every staff member I encountered was gracious and they all showed an invested interest in my day being as special as possible and it was. If you are in the area, it is a must do, enjoy a Gondola ride followed by a romantic dinner. If you are not in the area, consider a visit, you won't be disappointed! Thank you, Sea Spa!!

Room Tip: Any room is great!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay in our "backyard", ie south San Diego County when my husband had surgery at Sharp Coronado hospital. Stayed for 4 nights and had a very very enjoyable time despite the stressful situation. Stay was week after Christmas.

The Good/Great-1)Property - Hotel is surrounded by the bay and has beautiful views from almost all spots on the property, 2) Location - I say in all reviews, in California and much of the west GET A CAR. As I did the drive back and forth to the "bridge" once or twice a day, it is approx 10 minutes each way. This is a GREAT location and compared to the rates a similar properties, a GREAT deal. 3) Price - our total price worked out to around $190/day which included the parking, taxes, some room service charges and extra. The cheapest base rate I could find at Marriott was $229 (and I am a HUGE marriott supporter/fan) and the Del started at over $300, 4) Grounds - the grounds are great including mature/huge citrus trees, a beauitful pool area and a really nice patio with fire pits that is dog friendly, and 5) DOGS - hotel is dog friendly - for us this saved about $200 in boarding fees for our large 75lb shepard mix. For some this is a negative. There was a flat $25/stay for the dog which was included in the rate/day average above.

The bad - really the main bad was about "extras" - wi fi was extra, but not in the lobby, room service was really pricey (note there are lots of cheap alternatives on Coronado), parking is $25/day. You just have to know all in advance. For us it was all worth it due to dog issue and location.

We really really enjoyed our stay and it really gave me and my kids a sense of relief of stress while my husband had orthopedic surgery. Hope to go back!!

Room Tip: we had room 4319 - rooms in the fourth building on the second and third floor odd numbers have a nic...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Greater Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is better suited as a 3.5 star experience...Just not quite where I feel it to be for a 4 star rating.

Loews Coronado Bay is a resort style hotel situated on the Strand that runs between Coronado Island and Imperial Beach; not quite in town but the hotel appears to make all efforts to get guests into town via shuttle, etc. In other words, don't let the location keep you from staying here.

The hotel rates as a 4 on most sites, and rooms appear to run 180-200/nt. in January...We live maybe 200 mi. north of San Diego-it made it easy to plan a last minute getaway for my wife, our son and me. Priceline saved us over 50% on the room, making it a really great deal for staying 3 nights....Overall, I found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and outgoing; everyone from the front desk to the guy who poured my coffee in the am had a genuine interest in my enjoyment.

The remodeled lobby and bar is nice....great place to watch some weekend football with the large screen sports bar style screen. Decent beer selection including some local choices, and a bar menu that (while expensive) has a good line up of selections..

The pool is very kid friendly....three separate pools that surround an outside bar (closed on our stay) and a few jacuzzis. Easy access to seating, ocean view, plenty of towels and lots of sun! Ping pong was a neat addition...seems like a great place to spend if you have a couple of kids old enough to let loose to swim, etc.

Pros:
Patio off lobby bar. Exceptional! Plenty of room to stretch out around gas firepits, gorgeous views of the bay and Coronado bridge...landscaped with mature palms and birds of paradise. Almost as if the Mediterranean met a pacific island...really very nice. Great place for a cocktail and cigar if you're so inclined.
Large tub in room. Much like a jacuzzi...plenty of room to relaaaax. In fact, the entire bathroom was well appointed
Bed. Just firm enough, plenty of pillows...definitely great for a good night's sleep!
Staff. As mentioned, very kind and considerate...

Cons:
Unfortunately, the cons pulled this experience from a solid 4 star review...being someone who's stayed at the best any 5 star has to offer as well as being surprised by the hidden quality of a few of the 3 stars...I feel like Loews did come up short in a few areas.

Fees. Fees galore! I There was that commercial about banks a few years ago where the guy had to pay a fee for a fee, and a fee for complaining...remember that? Funny, but it felt the same way there...Internet 12.50 a day, valet parking 30.00 a day...While I'm sure that's par for the course in SD/Coronado...it just feels a little nasty...I'm not a fan of it, and make sure to mention it each time it comes up. 7.00 waters, 1.50 Keurig coffees, etc were a bit painful too...and with a starbucks or McDonalds not exactly around the corner...we were a bit of a captive audience.
Pricey food. The market cafe for breakfast served pretty decent food...in fact, better than most hotels in my opinion...the breakfast was well-made. Breakfast for four, however, was close to 80.00..no mimosas or booze. The bar food is also VERY expensive...15 bucks for 5 microwaved chicken wings...15 bucks for a quesadilla...3 drinks each and an order of wings for two people cost me 130 bucks the first night. BYOB!
No fridge to use in room. This would have undoubtedly offset some of the food costs, and I expected something there in a "family" hotel.

In the end, I think the Loews is a great stay if you can nail a solid discount on the room, and if you properly plan around some of the additional fees....Happy travels.

Room Tip: We had a "luxury room" upgrade that gave us nice views of the Ocean and hotel patio. Build...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank sewo1015
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Loews Coronado Bay Resort is a truly wonderful hotel. First off, the staff are amazing. Everyone was exceedingly friendly from arrival to departure. Check-in was a breeze and everyone we met along the way from the concierge to the restaurant and bar staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.

The hotel has both a kids pool as well as an adults pool so things were quiet for me while I read poolside - a big plus. The grounds were also well-maintained and clean. A quick walk to the adjacent dock will get you the opportunity to ride in a gondola. The food was also very good as well. We ate in the restaurants and ordered room service and everything from the service to the food was wonderful. I would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The hotel is large and surprsiningly isolated. The suburb of Coronado is about five miles north and Imperial Beach is three miles south. The hotel has a lot of pools but is not on a beach. There is a public beach nearby and nothing else. The food is so-so and overpriced. The rooms are a good size but nothing special. The lobby is large and there is a bar. All in all, it's not a place for a vacation and it's not a place for a city visit. It's okay for a conference but very isolating. There are public transit buses into San Diego from the highway out from the hotel and the hotel has an occasional shuttle

Room Tip: All the rooms have a water view. Parking is in a large garage under every tower. Tower 1 is closest...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Roskilde, Roskilde, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was at a conference here this Jan. An excellent venue with lovely staff, freat accomodation and a location I loved. You can rent a bike and cycle towards Mexico, or run along the seashore. A bit outside of San Diego, but only 30 min by car or 10 min to Coronado. Bit expensive though.

Room Tip: Get a room with evening sun, then you can sit on the balcony and enjoy your pre-dinner drink. :-)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
4.5 of 5 stars 888 reviews
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 stars 4,389 reviews

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!