“Out on the Coronado Strand”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Out on the Coronado Strand”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

One night stay while on business. Resort is on the beautiful island of Coronado. Resort is on the bay side of the strand. Ocean is a quick zip on a golf cart (they will take you there from the lobby), the walk is about 8 minutes. I was in a Luxury King room. It seemed like a standard room to me (though I didn't see others), so unsure on how worth it the upgrades are (though they were only in $10 increments when I looked on line--so not too much). I had a beautiful bay view. Odd shaped room (it was a corner) but all in all comfortable. Bathroom was a nice size, no tub but a dual head shower. Gym is adaquate, but I would debate whether they really need to be charging guests $10 for it's use. Pools are nice, all three are in the same area right next to one another. One is designated for kids. Pool service was great. I had the breakfast buffet twice, again adaquate. Coffee was fantastic (and yes, this matters!) Made a trip to the "Del" to check it out--would recommend this for sure. Beautiful old, historic hotel, gorgeous setting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank EliStu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Noise, noise, noise. Every night. If it wasn't the chiseling of tile at 4AM it was a loud and obnoxious wedding reception right outside my room. The hotel is so poorly designed that if you are unfortunate enough to occupy one of the rooms facing the bar you will NOT SLEEP. Nor will the management do ANYTHING to solve the problem. Worst stay I can remember.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank AB449
Loveland, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at this resort for two nights in September with our 2.5 year old and had a fantastic time! This hotel/resort was welcoming and overly thoughtful in every way even offering to baby proof our room! Let me start by saying that we had just come from Disneyland and the Grand Californian Lodge and this place blew the Californian Grand Lodge out of the water with the little things that make a trip special for kids/families and we had paid nearly $400 a night for the Disneyland hotel and considerably less here. At this Loews I ordered a crib for my baby and was provided with an actual portable crib outfitted with a cute crib bedding set and a little toiletries pack for the baby at Disneyland I was given a pack and play with a dingy sheet. Here we were able to have access to toys for the room and for the beach, Disneyland directs you to the closest overpriced gift store. At the Loews we were provided with many different cable TV stations and pay per view options and at Disneyland you got about 6 stations. The room at Loews was bright, airy, modern, and felt relaxing. The bathroom was outstanding as it had a HUGE tub that turned into a mini pool for my toddler and a separate shower. The pools were beautiful and the beach was AMAZING. We have traveled to many beaches in California, Florida, Oregon, and Hawaii and the Silver Strand beach has now become one of our favorites. I don’t know if we traveled at an off peak time but the beach was not crowded and the hotel made it special by providing chairs, towels, and toys. We did valet our car as it is only $5.00 more a day and with a baby, stroller, etc it just made things easier. The staff at the valet was wonderful. Always courteous and responsive to all of our needs! A special shout-out for Carlos (valet) who was extremely helpful, kind, and informative! It is hard to find good service these days and Carlos should be an example for how to provide excellent service.
Now nowhere is perfect and I did have a few negatives while at the resort. I would have LOVED a refrigerator in the room. I believe they offer one for a fee but even at most Holiday Inns and Best Westerns you are provided a refrigerator. I thought it was a bit classless to provided bottled water, cookies, and nuts in the room (all placed on display in the room) and then in small print on a card tucked away on the desk show they are for sale and overly expensive….come on $7.00 for a bottle of water! The parking was expensive but I read the reviews before and therefor this was not a shock. The food options were limited here but I think one or two of the restaurants were under construction. I also would recommend to the staff/hotel to tell guests what you offer. Unless I had read the reviews I would have had no idea about the ride to the beach, the toys provided for the room and beach, and the crib option and this left me feeling like “what else have I missed out on”. Did they have anywhere to get healthy snacks for the baby, could I have “borrowed” a book from some onsite library, were smores provided for the kids at the fire pit, what was the movie at the pool on Saturday and was it open to all guests, were life jackets or floaties available for my little one, was there anyway to get into town without driving, were bikes available for rent, what was the Herb garden…lots of questions and no answers provided by any of the materials left in the room. This hotel has a lot to offer and it should make sure the guests know about all of the amenities!
All in all it was a great trip and we are already planning to come back next year if the price is right!

Room Tip: We had a limited bay/pool view room and it was nice. Not really a view of the bay but it was nice t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly L
Souderton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

First time to San Diego and this place was almost perfect for us (I'm not a pet lover, so the whole "dog-friendly" thing skeeves me out). Beside that we had an excellent stay - the bars and main lobby area were fantastic. The pools were perfect (though it certinaly would be nice if parents would heed the "no kids" signs on the adult pool and hot tub - they do have ones where kids are welcome).

The rooms were standard - nothing spectacular but certinaly clean and met our needs. The view for the upgraded room was worth the extra $$, we stayed in both since the better view wasn't available for our entire stay.

Most of all, it was the people who made the trip, fronm Elizabeth the concierge who added all the little touches that made the trip personal and exceeded our expectations, to our favorite poolside server Valerie who kept our drinks full and took great care of us, to the driver who shuttled us to downtown SD and the airport.

The breakfast chilquiles were amazing, the drinks - outstanding, and all the little touches like tacos made poolside were fantastic. We will be back, even if it is a bit of a hike from our daughter's new place in Pacific Beach. This is exactly what we look for when we are on vacation.

Room Tip: The view of the bay from the upgraded rooms is worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Newman Lake, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spent the weekend on Coronado and enjoyed staying at the Loew's Hotel. The staff was amazing and so accomodating. Such a great property. I was there such a short time I wasn't able to enjoy all the hotel had to offer. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Loved staying in building 5 with a balcony overlooking the water.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cln96
San Dimas, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights. The first night, the television didn't work on network channels, and the bedside telephone didn't work at all. I used my cell phone to report the problems, and both were resolved while we were out during the day. Our room overlooked the lobby bar/patio area, so evening noise was a bit of a problem. The rooms need double-glazed windows. Also, there was a constant noise/whistle at the window presumably due to different inside and outside air pressures. The room air-conditioning worked well, and housekeeping did not reset the temperature during the day. The room was cleaned and resupplied daily. The in-room safe and coffee service were both easy to use. The king-sized bed was comfortable, and the bedding was of decent quality. My room was adjacent to the ice machine and the elevator lobby, and there was some noise from guests using the elevator that was audible through the room door. The bathroom had a small shower separate from the tub and came with big, fluffy towels. The adjustable-spray shower head was a bit tall for me, and it took a long time for the hot water to arrive, but there was plenty once it did. My only complaint is the parking. I paid $25 per night for self-parking (which I consider overpriced), and found I had to search for empty spaces due to many being curtained off. I stayed in Building 1 but ended up parking under Buildings 2 and 3 most often. It appeared that the valets used regular parking places even when designated valet spaces were open. I will probably stay here again, but I will also look around for alternatives.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face the lobby bar and patio.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Goodyear, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

We just returned home after a very relaxing week at Loews Coronado resort. It was a great property located on the bay. All of the staff was very nice; saying hi when they passed, etc.
Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. I would recommend a bay view room. It was so enjoyable and relaxing to sit on the patio and enjoy the view. Only downside to the room was the size of the shower. It was quite small.
We ate at marketplace cafe for breakfast and the food was great and arrived fast.
It's a short drive to San Diego but would be nice if it was a bit closer to other things. Driving through Coronado got a bit old especially during peak traffic.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank robinicoleith
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I’m so glad you had such a wonderful experience and were able to get the “R&R” you needed. Its great to hear how attentive the staff was and I will definitely pass on those comments to them as they take great pride in providing exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 16 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,968 reviews

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!