“family holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“family holiday”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff from arrival to departure, nothing was too much trouble for them. Concierge service first class, from booking taxis, restaurants and excursions. Spacious rooms, daikly housekeeping, cannot fault them in any way, will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I’m so glad you had such a wonderful experience during your stay. I will definitely pass on your kind words to our concierge and housekeeping departments as they great pride in providing exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I loved staying here. My room was lovely and I carved out time to take a long bath in the awesome Japanese soaking tub. I had a gorgeous view and was pleased with the overall atmosphere, food, and the service. I would definitely go back!

The only caveat for me is the location itself. If you are looking for a place to come and plant yourself for a few days, I definitely recommend it. If you have plans to explore San Diego and see different attractions, I honestly would stay elsewhere. I took a cab from the airport and I remember thinking at several points en route how glad I was not to be driving. The parking lot is a congested little logistical nightmare. Also, this spot is almost on an island of it's own! Even if you are coming to explore Coronado itself, I might stay somewhere more central. Cab it if you can and enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Kentucky
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice hotel, unfortunately the first room I had was right next to the ice machine and I could hear the ice machine dispensing ice ;-(; I requested a room change and they helped expedite my room change without any hassels. Unfortunately my second room was no longer a King, but two double, not ideal but ok. The disconcerting issues were the A/C in the room was not on, so it was VERY hot and I notice I had allergy problems each morning, maybe an A/C issue maybe not. The carpet in the second room also had stains on the carpet .... not what I would expect from a Loews property. Beyond that I was there for business and it was a great meeting. Hotel views were very nice, but not close to anything and the hotel shuttle only runs to Cornado every four hours.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while participating in a conference. The setting on Coronado Island was lovely, and the grounds were nicely landscaped and well-maintained. From the parakeet aviary to the comfortable indoor/outdoor bar area, this hotel's public areas were beautiful. Our room was comfortable, nothing particularly remarkable -- what you would expect in a resort property. The bathroom was large, with separate shower and tub. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Most of all, the views from every angle were spectacular.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Loews Coronado Bay Resort. We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time during your conference and were able to enjoy the resort grounds and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is the 2nd visit for us to this hotel for a specific function. The hotel is in a nice setting, right on the bay and across the street from the pacific ocean. However beware what card you give the front desk! I gave them my business debit card for check in, very specifically asked what they would be charging to the card. Imagine my shock, when 2 days into our stay I get an alert from our bank that a $300 charge has been put on my card. I asked the front desk what was going on and their answer It's a "just in case" charge. Just in case what? In case we ran up a lot of charges to the room. Keep in mind they had already authorized my card $75 PER day for "incidentals" and up to that point we had only charged about $40 to the room. I told them I wanted NO MORE authorizations on my card. And they didn't. Until the very next morning. This time it was a charge of $350. This was with NO more room charges. And this was on the day we were checking out. Upon checking out I expressed my frustration and irritation. And I have to say, the two employees at the front desk could have cared less. They told me the charges would drop off that night. FIVE days later and a call to my bank and to corporate had to happen before those charges dropped off my account. I think the hotel had a very cavalier attitude with my card. I did get a phone call apologizing although they couldn't explain why it happened. I will be very cautious before choosing to stay at a Loews again. As for the hotel amenities: the grill at the pool shut down at 5:30 (on a holiday weekend) and I think their pricing for food is extremely expensive. They do offer a free shuttle over to the beach and the gal driving the shuttle (golf cart) was friendly and helpful. The beach is very well maintained for a state beach.

Room Tip: We had a nice view of the harbor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jdkd319
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We just spent a week here - after reading some reviews I was a little nervous but most of the negative comments were either things that didn't concern me or were aspects of the hotel I already knew about (like parking fee).

The grounds were beautiful, water views everywhere. The pool area was very nice and clean. The room was spacious, clean and housekeeping was always completed early in the day. The bathroom was very large -the deep soaking tub was awesome. Every staff member we met was extremely helpful and pleasant.

It is out of town a ways but such an easy drive not only into Coronado but to everyplace we wanted to visit in San Diego. We would definitely stay here again. The restaurant options are very limited so we generally ate our meals out while doing our sight seeing - even breakfast. I think we only used the resort for maybe 2 meals.

Everything is expensive but it was in line with every where else in San Diego so you can't fault Loews for that. I hope that hotels look at what they are doing with add ons and realize how much we all hate it- just raise the rate on the room and be done with it.

I recommend Loews and think for most people it would be a great option when visiting the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool area if you want quiet. We were in building 2 facing the back of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelgirl201077
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night over Labor Day Weekend and, overall, had a wonderful time. Our room (Deluxe King) was well appointed and had a nice-sized balcony overlooking the San Diego Harbor and Coronado Bridge. It was very beautiful, especially during sunset.

As part of our Holiday treats, we ordered pancakes from in-room dining and enjoyed our coffee and breakfast on our balcony. The pancakes were really tasty, even though they were on the "rare" side (not completely cooked through). The night before we enjoyed a FANTASTIC dinner at Mistral, the onsite French / Mediterranean restaurant. Amazing, amazing, amazing. We'll definitely be back there.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay - the bed is extremely comfortable and HUGE, great décor in the rooms, lovely and spacious bathroom with a big jacuzzi tub, nice linens, awesome bathrobe. However, we thought we'd enjoy the pool in the afternoon and found it INCREDIBLY overcrowded and much smaller than in pictures. Additionally, the designated areas (Main Pool, Family / Kid Pool, Adult Only Pool) were not really adhered to, as there were families and children in every pool and taking up all of the seating in every area. The designations are marked with some small signs, but everything kind of flows from one into the other so it is difficult to get what we were hoping for: some nice, quiet, adult-only down time. Keep that in mind when coming here, in case you're looking for the same thing.

I will say that it wasn't all that bad because the beautiful Silver Strand State Beach is just about 5 minutes walk across the street from the Loews property. If you were to walk down from the parking lot (where lots of families are BBQ-ing, kids skateboarding and surfing, etc.) about 5 more minutes, you can have a little slice of beach all to yourself. We enjoyed this late in the afternoon on the day we had a "miss" at the Loews pool and enjoyed it all day the following day. The water is clean and even though it was Labor Day, the beach was not overcrowded.

Aside from the pool, which could also use some updating from the 90s (which is probably when it last saw an update), we really enjoyed staying here. If you're from out of town, it is also very close to "downtown" Coronado (about 5 minute drive), which is very charming and quaint, and only 15 minute drive to Downtown San Diego, which has more to offer if you're looking for an urban scene.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Milan C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 17 in Coronado
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!