Hotel del Coronado(Coronado)
$309
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $353/night.

$194
La Avenida Inn(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$257
$239
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $290/night.

Villa Capri by the Sea(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$287
  • Breakfast included
1906 Lodge(Coronado)
$319
El Cordova Hotel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$249
  • Pool
Coronado Beach Resort(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$358
  • Beachfront
Coronado Inn(Coronado)
$134
4,982 results
All reviewsmarket cafemistral restaurantsan diegosilver strand beachping pongshuttle servicefree shuttlegolf cartconcierge deskpool area isan adultrental carself parkingper daybusiness conferenceboogie boardsfamily vacation
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Booked this because we wanted to be on Coronado. The experience was well below what we expected at a Loews resort. Here is why.

Staff and services: The staff was impeccable. Courteous to the max and very helpful. Check-in and out was flawless. Nothing wrong there. They offer a golf cart ride to the beach which is on the other side of the causeway with a local beach-side attendant to hand out towels and chairs and other goodies. Seems like a kid-friendly environment, but we were there for a romantic getaway -- 45th anniversary.

Public Facilities: Good but not great. The entry looks to have been polished up but missing flowers and other things to brighten the place up. Have three pools but not big and seem crowded. Service poolside is really good but not overly attentive.

Rooms: OK and comfortable. TV is a bit small but flat screen. Bed and bedding need to be replaced. Clear indentations indicating long use and need to replacement. Bathrooms are really upgraded.

Building and grounds: This is the worst area. the landscaping is really rundown. The grass in the pool area is dying and a lot of dirt shows through. shrubbery is overgrown and dated. The building itself is suffering age --stucco that is water stained throughout with black marks and rusting metal railings. Looks like the 50's with some minimum attempt at spit and polish.

Restaurants: Poolside service bar is really good. The top end restaurant -- Mistral -- gets excellent reviews in Zagat.

Room Tip: We booked what we thought was harbor view, but only had a peekaboo view of downtown.
2  Thank jland0001
Jason M, Front Office Manager at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you so much for providing your feedback regarding your recent visit with us at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. I’m delighted you had such a wonderful experience with our staff and restaurants such as La Cantina and Mistral. I’m sorry for any inconsistencies you encountered and appreciate your feedback especially in regards to grounds quality. I will follow up on details of your comments with our engineering management and landscape team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Overall a decent hotel (clean rooms, nice people, etc) but for the price we paid ($300/night) and the expectation of a "resort" (since it was a bit isolated) we were disappointed. And you had better like kids and dogs - you will see them everywhere!

Rooms: The rooms were nice, well appointed (keurig coffee makers, nice views of the bay, large bathrooms with separate large tub/smaller shower).

Dogs: The place is dog friendly, to a point. Dogs are welcome for $25 a stay, but there are so many places on the "resort" you can't have your dog and you are not supposed to leave the dog alone in the room. So having your dog with you isn't necessarily a convenience. They are also not allowed on the nearby beach.

Kids: This is supposed to be a kid/family friendly resort, and again they are, sort of. They seem to have plenty of resort-like activities for older kids (say ages ~4-12) but not much for younger kids (like mine) and since the resort is pretty isolated you either get to eat at the same cruddy restaurant every day or you have to pack up the kids and drive into Coronado for food. This is a pain and makes me consider this a nice hotel and not a "resort."

Food: They have a bar in the lobby, a bar/lunch snack bar at the pool (which has terrible hours! never open when we wanted food!), a Market Cafe restaurant and room service (which was pretty much the same choices as the Market Cafe). There is also a nicer french restaurant, but not kid friendly, so we didn't eat there. The Market Cafe was average - some terrible food items (like the scallops) and some surprisingly good and well priced items (like the salads and the flat bread/pizzas). Everything was overpriced, but this is to be expected as it is in a hotel/resort. I also hate that at the pool, they add an additional 18% service fee to the drinks/food - it's not like they hid this, but it just irks me: just make the price of the drink 18% more so I don't feel like I am being swindled!

Pools/Beach/Amenities: They have three pools (kid/family/adult) and nice lounge chairs/umbrellas/etc. The pools are slightly heated and they have a few over sized games (such as chess and connect four). My only complaint is that the kids pool (and all the other pools) are all 3 1/2 feet deep. I expected the kids pool to at least have a very shallow end (say 2 ft deep) - my kids weren't able to stand anywhere in the pool except the steps. There is NOT a beach at the resort. The beach nearby is the state beach (Silver Strand), a nice enough beach but had a lot of sea weed on the shores). The resort has a large golf cart "shuttle" they use to drive guests down to the beach. They also set up a stand at the beach with chairs/towels/etc. We found this to be nice enough, but if you are expecting to have the beach right outside your hotel, this is not the place for you. They also have tennis courts and a few small gift shops in the lobby.

Parking/Isolated: Self parking is $25/day, so calculate this into your nightly rate. Valet is $30. Parking is also scarce during busy times, but if you bring it to valet and tell them that there are no self parking spaces left they will charge you the self parking rate. The resort is isolated. This is good and bad. It is about 5 miles from Coronado - where all the shopping and restaurants are - not really walking distance. If you want isolation and just to enjoy the amenities of the resort, it can be very relaxing. But like I mentioned above unless you want to eat the same few menu items (some good, some bad) you have to leave the resort and drive up to Coronado. For us, with kids, this was a pain. I would rather have had the option of a few more restaurants to choose from inside the resort (even if they were overpriced!)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank crystavol1
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I have visited this hotel twice in the last 15 months. It is a fabulous getaway with a very resorty feel to it. The pools are fantastic, I especially appreciate that they have separate pools for adults and families. There were always plenty of chairs. The beach is a five minute walk or they will take you on a golf cart to a drop off where chairs and towels await. There are tons of rental options - bikes, boats, etc. We rented the bikes and rode into the downtown Coronado area.

Most hotel food is blah. We loved The Market restaurant. We went for dinner one night and had a delicious dish of homemade avocado pasta with roast chicken. It was very high quality and a generous portion. Their breakfasts were also very good.

I recommend this for families or couples. It is very low key and not much nightlife-so it's probably not ideal for the party crowd.

Room Tip: Go for the partial bay room. The second time we visited we were "upgraded" to a pool view and it was a little noisy during the day when I wanted a nap.
1  Thank Stephanie T
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The wife booked the room and I don’t think she realized it’s about 5 miles from ‘downtown’ Coronado….So if you’re wanting to do anything outside of the resort plan on taking a drive (the resort did offer an on demand shuttle service)……Of course you can rent a bike right on site (probably a good idea) and there’s a path all the way to downtown……resort is pet friendly (bet we saw 25+ dogs during our stay)…..Stayed in building 5 and it hasn’t been refurbished as far as I can tell (hear the whole hotel was being refurbished)…stains on the carpet were the biggest tell…but otherwise the room was clean……Parking became a problem (we were there over the 4th of July) in the afternoon……Otherwise it was a good stay……

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed there over New Years... Hotel is not impressive. And It caters to dog lovers. I felt like I was living in a dog pound. I was in a bldg that was supposed to be dog free (I am allergic to dog dander). But there were dogs in the elevator and main hallways. I called the front desk, but it fell on deaf ears. Also, it was in the middle of nowhere! Nowhere and they charged $25 a night parking!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple