“expensive and a bit tired”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
chester uk
“expensive and a bit tired”
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Stayed at Loews for 3 nights as part of our Honeymoon. Obviously mid December is not a busy time in Coronado but the hotel lacked any atmoshere. Room had a great view over the bay but was a little tired looking. Shower tray was gunged up and the bedside lamps with their sand and shell theme also had dead flies in.....not nice at $350 a night ! On the positive hotel staff were great and the hotel still has a feel of class about it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — needs money spending on it
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michaelgould

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We booked the Loews as a 'what the heck' kind of vacation and to be honest I wasn't sure what we were in for (as there was at least one person who did a pretty nasty review of this place on this website). If you want an honest assessment, read on.

The place was beautiful, the staff were professional, courteous, and very much on par with Ritz Carlton type of service. I have to say that the room was very cool with a flat screen and wicker tropics decor. The food for the most part was excellent (and we didn't even dine in Mistral). We are talking some decent in-room dining options and a very nice casual fare with outdoor dining.

How many hotels can you say that room service arrives within an hour and housekeeping does more than enough to follow up on your requests.

The one point that was correct in another less glowing review was that its isolated. So what? That is exactly why you come to this place, to get away from the tourists and people with fanny packs to be treated like you are a VIP even if you are just a loving couple on a what the heck kind of getaway.

Look every hotel has some blemishes but you won't find many at this place. We had a nice chat with our own personal bartender downstairs near a cozy fireplace and truly enjoyed the experience.

As far as I am concerned, the less people who love the place the better for my wife and I. But if you do go down there be prepared for peace and quiet.

Take care.

• Liked — Rooms and Views
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuvLyfe2
SF, CA
Reviewed December 31, 2007

Rooms immaculate. Staff very helpful. The spa was a delight, I recommend splurging for a body treatment. The fitness room was good, but always crowded. They could use more treadmills/elliptical machines.

Dinner at Mistral was excellent. Drinks in the lobby bar were well prepared, and staff was attentive, even when the bar was busy.

Loved being able to walk through an underpass to the huge beach on the other side of the main road.

What we didn't like: this place is located on a peninsula well away from the town of Coronado. You'll have to have a car, unless you want to get on property and remain there. Which may not appeal to you if you are bothered by paying $3.50 for a bagel with butter from the cafe, and $5+ for a bottle of water.

For an escape, family or just the two of you, I recommend this hotel.

• Liked — beautifully maintained hotel, courteous staff, reasonable proximity to everything in San Diego
  • Disliked — prices for food and drinks were high
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Yorba Linda, CA
Reviewed December 31, 2007

My third stay at this property and I appreciate it more than ever. The bed was very comfy with pillow top mattress, down comforter and pillows. Fabulous view from furnished balcony. Room was immaculate, appeared recently painted. Spacious bathroom. The carpeting in the halls is garish, but I am not staying in the halls! We walked the underpass to the beach. It was low tide and I gathered sea shells including 3 sand dollars which I have never personally found on a beach before so that was a treat. Easy drive into the bustle of the town of Coronado. We walked through the Del which was crowded with people and long lines to get into the restaurant for lunch. We were very glad we were staying at the quieter more relaxing Loews. We went to the spa the first day and and liked it so much we went back the second day. They have added live entertainment now in the lounge so we sipped a cocktail in front of the fireplace and listened to a jazz singer before going to dinner .The Mistral (formerly Azzura Point but it was renovated and reconceptualized a couple months ago ) restaurant is a destination in itself-fabulous innovative food, great wine list and sommelier, and the same fabulous view we had from our room. Free dessert for my birthday! I am planning my 4th stay at Loews in March.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
wales
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I have to say, my husband and I were delighted with the Loews at Coronado Bay. Our stay, while brief, was typical of our general experiences with Loews: spotlessly clean, beautiful beds & linens, professional & attentive staff, good off-site recommendations for dinner, prompt and polite valet and so on.

While most of the places we visited during this road trip would not get a second visit from us, Coronado and San Diego gladly would (and is on our list for future vacations). Our main regret was spending three days in LA and only an evening & the following morning in Coronado. We far preferred this Loews property to the one at Santa Monica (where we spent the previous couple of nights during this trip). Every member of staff we encountered was courteous, professional and couldn't do enough for us. And not once did we feel out of place or intimidated (take note Loews Santa Monica! Come here to see how your guests should be treated - with respect, dignity and sincerity).

We didn't use them, but the pool, hot tub and gym looked great. The lobby was welcoming and had lots of little nooks to sit and read or watch the world go by. I would recommend a car as this resort is on it's own pretty much but parking in Coronado town was easy and very cheap (1 hour for 25 cents!!!!). The MooTime creamery (you can't miss it - it's on the main street in the middle of the shops - look for Elvis and the Cow outside) had great ice-creams and the ajoining diner was lots of fun.

I think we only counted three 'brand name' shops in Coronado (Vons, Rite-aid and I'm sure there was another one?) - the rest of the shops were delightful boutique-style, quaint, mom-and-pop affairs that tend to close up early so get there in the daytime to have a good mooch around.

Coronado really endeered itself to us and we came away with bittersweet thoughts - the sweet being the lovely time we had in our short stay, the bitter being we had to leave to soon.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was all excellent thank you
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank madame_rouge
Saint Albans, Vermont
Reviewed November 7, 2007

This is my third trip to San Diego, second time staying on Coronado. This Loews has a price that would make you think it was briliant, but it's remote and the service from the desk staff and management was mediocre at best. I faaaaar prefered the Coronado Island Marriott -- much better location, easy walk to the little town center with the ferry over to the City, as nice a facility if not better than this Loews, and most importantly at this price -- brilliant customer service. This was just a disappointment based on expectations created during my previous Coronado/San Diego stays.

• Liked — Very clean, attractive hallways and guest rooms.
  • Disliked — Customer service was mediocre from desk staff and management.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jonathan B
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 6, 2007

After reading the reviews here my partner and I were unsure of what to expect. We were greeted warmly at reception and were offered an upgrade to a bay view suite, at a small extra cost, the upgrade was worth it. Our room was clean, large and the view to die for.
Our bathroom had a large tub and separate shower. I agree with the others who say the bathrooms need some help. Now nothing offended me about the bathroom but yes, it could use some updating. The huge soaking tub was wonderful.
Our bed was comfortable and again, we loved the view. We were in room 5232.
I used the gym both mornings of our stay and it was nice. Fair amount of equipment, clean and the staff was friendly and accomodating.
The valet staff is another story. When you are paying $25 to Valet, I expect for my door to be opened for me, it wasn't. When the car was brought around, with us standing right there waiting for it, it was parked against the curb, across from us...no where near us. Then the valet turns the car off, gets out jogs over to us and tosses the keys to my partner and that was that. Give me a break. We self parked it from there out. The valet staff was very young and imo they need some basic training.
The conceierge, Friday evening, she was not that well versed in the local Coronado dining scene. She kept pushing the hotel restaurants even though we told her a few times that we wanted to get out of the hotel. The place we decided on, per her rec, was Tomasinos, the host welcomed us, said he was a friend of hers and then proceeded to not help us. He gestured to a booth and said pick any booth. It was very strange.
The coffee bar was nice and the staff friendly.
I would stay here again.

• Liked — The upgraded room and the tub in our suite
  • Disliked — The valet service has no service.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank lala0310
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 16 in Coronado
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!