“Great Place to stay.”

La Avenida Inn
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
“Great Place to stay.”
Reviewed December 27, 2005

My wife and I stayed at Inn in June 2005. Great location, rooms very clean. Sure it's got some thin walls, but how much time do you spend in your room. We
have recommend the inn to all our friends. When we are in San Diego, we will be staying at the Inn.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
San Diego
Reviewed November 5, 2005

My sister and her family were staying at the Hotel Del for several days in late August. As an end of the summer local get-away I decided to stay a couple nights in Coronado with my two children.

In an attempt to save money, I booked two nights at the La Avenida. I certainly was not disillusioned to think the motel was at the same level as the Del, but I did not think that I was reserving a room at the local Motel 6 either.

We checked in and were given a room on the first floor right next to the ice machine. Upon making the reservation I had requested a room on the second floor. I went back to the front desk and requested a different room. For several minutes the front desk clerk conferred with a woman that apperaed to be the owner. I was eventually given keys to an additional room that was on the second floor, but it faced an alley. Our "alley" view consisted of cars, bull-dozers (construction was being done to a business across the alley) and employees from the local Chinese restaurant smoking in the alley.

I obviously did not open the window, to not only avoid the noise but the smell of cigarette smoke as well.

The room was basic. Two beds with a t.v. It was outdated with worn comforters and sparse furnishings. The air conditioner was located in another small hallway like area next to the bathroom. I thought it was an odd place for an ac unit.

We unloaded our luggage and made our way to spend time with my sister.

On our way out we checked out the very small and slightly dirty pool. There were a few guests sitting by the pool, one in her bra and panties.

We spent a nice evening with my sister and her family and we reluctantly headed back to the La Avenida.

The beds were uncomfortable and we all eventually fell asleep. We did not need an alarm clock because we were awoken by the noise of the bull-dozers and construction crews outside our window.

We got up and showered. I would have blow dryed my hair, but the room did not have a blow-dryer. We went to the lobby (for lack of a better word) and were going to eat the free continental breakfast that was included in the rate. The breakfast consisted of a few danishes and some coffee. Needless to say we opted for breakfast elsewhere.

I decided that one night at the La Avenida was enough for me. I checked out and got a room at the Hotel Del. It was certainly worth the extra $150.00.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank dmssd
Ventura County, CA
Reviewed September 18, 2005

My husband & I and my inlaws stayed @ La Avenida last weekend. Here are some of the positives & negatives we observed during our stay:
+: We arrived at the inn at 1:30 on Friday and they let us check into 1 of the 2 rooms we booked
+: The inn has nice shutters
+: The inn is very clean but no frills
+: The inn has a nice pool
+: The inn has a nice location, very close to the Hotel del Coronado
~: The queen bed in room 101 was "decent" - above a motel 6 or travellodge but not "comfortable" or "great" by any standards
- : The smokers hang out by the pool
- : The walls are paper thin which precluded us from getting a good night's sleep. We could hear footsteps and conversations (we could actually make out the dialogue) of the people above us and we could hear the TV in the room next to us. This made sleep extremely difficult. We were also close to the lobby and people going in there for breakfast woke us up as they were walking by our room. We could also hear the traffic from the street but that's not a big deal as we live downtown and are used to it.
- : My inlaws said that their bed was "straw & springs" and thought that our bed was better - firmer, etc. I felt their bed, I think in room 106 and it was pretty bad... They ended up coming home early because of it.

All in all, La Avenida is not a bad place, just don't know if I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank karynv
Montreal, QC
Reviewed September 1, 2005

My husband and I just got back from a stay at La Avenida Inn on Coronado from August 30 to September 1. We arrived an hour before check-in and had no problem getting a room with a king-sized bed. The bedroom area was quite comfortable, appointed with a small round table with two chairs, two night stands and a large bureau. There was also a changing area with full length mirrors and the bathroom was also well-sized. We were lucky to catch a great deal at 89$ a night (perhaps a combination of the time of year and AAA discount), but while there I overheard the same room type being quoted 110$. I do know that rack rate is around 170$.

There is a pool open to patrons, and although it looked clean, we did not have a chance to use it. The Inn is a 5-minute walk to the beach. We did, however, prefer the Silver Strand State Beach, which is a five minute drive south on the 75.

The town is pretty but not too lively (just fine by us!). It's a five-10 minute drive to downtown San Diego, or an easy ferry ride from the Ferry Marketplace.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank Osren
Reviewed April 9, 2005

Spent April 3-7 2005 here. On business at the Naval Base, this was very convenient and an easy comute. I could have gotton a little more for the same money in San Diego but then I would have had to face the traffic.

Very convenient for all types of dining and close to a great book store.

Wil use again when the business purpose repeats.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 15, 2004

After staying at the LaAvenida Motel, I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else on Coronado Island. The room was clean, spacious, very comfortable. Nice large shuttered windows (even the bathroom). Very handy location--walking distance from the beach, The Del, shops, restaurants galore. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rates were very reasonable. I would highly recommend this "home away from home."

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2004

The location is great, but oy the rate!

We paid $160 per night for mid-August. For this you get a thin, lumpy mattress, spartan room furnishings (love that 13" TV), no hair dryer and no central air (love that blasting noise...certainly drowns out the neighbors on the other side of the paper-thin walls.) The pool is small, unheated and somewhat murky.

On the plus side, we never had to drive to any restaurant and we got free beach towels. Parking is free, too.

Be sure to ask for the "returning visitor" special rate (I doubt they'd check their records), and you will be charged a much more reasonable $119/night (summer), which seems to be a more realistic value.

Like the title says, if you're going to spend $160/night, spring for a few bucks more and stay at the Hotel Del Coronado directly across the street.

• Stayed August 2004