“Bad Experience: Not Recommendedl”
Review of La Avenida Inn

La Avenida Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Los Angeles
“Bad Experience: Not Recommendedl”
Reviewed October 9, 2007

The shower at this hotel smelled very strongly. It appeared to be a sulfurous smell. We informed the front desk personnel, and they had the owner, who lived remotely, call us at our room to discuss. Upon telling her that the shower had this noxious smell, she immediately became defensive, and claimed that the hotel had recently been inspected, and had gotten a clean bill of health, and therefore the smell couldn't possibly be sulfur. In mid-discussion with my wife, the hotel owner angrily hung up, and we heard nothing further from her. On a positive note, the front desk personnel were very understanding, and did provide a partial credit to us for one night of our two-night stay, in compensation for the terrible odor from the shower and our very bad experience with the hotel owner.

• Liked — Proximity to local attractions and the beach.
  • Disliked — The smell of the shower, the personaity of the owner, and the cleanlibes of the room.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank markjrm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
Ohio
Reviewed May 26, 2007

I did quite a bit of research before selecting this property...I should have done more. Upon checking in, I walked in and no one said anything, I had to greet them...and when they said hello back, still not friendly. I had a few questions about the room etc, so the manager comes out from the back and she was soooo snotty and mean it was unbelivable. She is the very dark haired woman with a New York accent, I think she is the only manager. She was so mean I avoided the office at all costs. The room smelled weird and old, it is at best average.
Here is what made the my stay terrible though. The first night I was exhasted after flying all day, so I was in the room by 10PM hoping to get some sleep - WRONG! The walls and ceilings of this place are so thin and old you can hear every noise. The man above me on the second floor (2 story property) was walking back and forth all night on the creeky loud floor. He was slamming drawers, closet doors, and it never stopped all night long. I got zero sleep. The next night a family was in the room next door. The Dad must have bought a guitar in Old Town or somewhere, and he "played" it - LOUD- until at least midnight. He mays well have been in my room, again , paper thin walls.
The next night is the worst, at 11pm an extremely drunk couple was put in the room next to me. This is the night before I leave and need to get up @ 5:45 am. They are falling all over the room, swearing, and it was so loud I was actually scared. They must have passed out about midnite, quiet until 4:45 am when the woman got up and started yelling and using horrible profanity that she does not know where they are, she has no shoes, she was so wasted, and on and on...what scumbags. I went to front desk in tears because I was so exhuasted from 3 nights in a row of no sleep. The guy at the desk did not really care, he said he does not like it there either and that he had already put in his notice to leave. I hate this place, and what a shame because I love Coronado.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank CaliforniaGirl777
Lakeside, California
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We arrived around 11:45am which was four hours early. The clerk suggested coming back around 1:00pm. Check in time is 4:00pm. After lunch we returned to the hotel and were sitting out front watching the world pass by. The clerk stepped out and told us our room was ready. We checked in three hours early at no extra charge. The clerk was very friendly and helpful in answering questions about Coronado.
The room is very bright;clean and odorless. The room is very large. We had a king size bed that did not crowd the room. There is a four drawer dresser and two end tables with a large drawer and large storage space under the drawer. A reading lamp and table with two chairs and a television in the corner completed the room appointments. These did not crowd the room either. There is a large dressing room separte from the main room with a huge closet with full mirrors on both doors. The air conditioner/heater is in this room which is nice since there is little noise from it in the main room. The small couch was a nice addition for dressing comfort.
The bathroom is very large and bright. While the towels are a bit thin they were sufficiant and pool towels were available also.
The amenities included soap, shampoo and lotions. There is a full bath tub/shower.
All windows have large horizontal wooden window blinds instead of drapes.
Overall; we were very pleased with the room.
The continental breakfast consisted of a choice of sweet roll or muffins and coffee. Next door to the hotel is a bagle shop with better choices.
The hotel is centrally located near all types of activities. We spent one evening on the beach with our meal. Shopping is all within walking distance as is the beach.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank Francis S
California
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We have stayed at the La Avenida several times over the past 20 years. We always felt the convenient location made up for the very average quality of the property. This past summer, we had reserved 2 nights and ended up leaving after the 1st night. The quality and comfort of our room was on par with what one would expect at Motel 6. The tiny TV was on a stand in the corner and could not be viewed from the bed. The bathroom was so small it could accommodate only 1 person at a time. The walls are very thin so we were disturbed by neighbors. Construction noise behind us started before 7am, as did traffic noise out front on Orange Avenue. The "continental breakfast" is nothing but mini muffins and danishes and coffee/tea. The staff was very nice, but we decided that despite the location, the overall quality is just not worth the money (around $189). This is a property that is badly in need of some updating.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs updating
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank TrvlAgtRet
Mississippi
Reviewed August 19, 2006

I found out about this place from this site, and I called them directly. They were the most affordable motel in the area, and as I had three kids with me, they allowed us all to stay in the same room [no extra charge] with a roll-away bed. It was close to the beach [we walked out there many times]. It was surrounded by little shops and deli's. The pool was clean and quite. The complimentry beach towels were a great touch. We found the staff very accomodating but generally didn't see them too much.
The room was okay [not the Hilton] but it was good since we didnt spend much time there. Overall, I would go there with the family but for just my husband and I , I prefer something a little more luxurious. I liked it, though. I'd recommend it to a family any day!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Air conditioner wasn't too great
  • Tips/Secrets — Shop around
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Vixkix69
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 18, 2006

I used to live in San Diego and always wanted to stay on Coronado Island for a night. When my fiancee and I went back to San Diego to show her around, we booked a room at La Avenida after reading good reviews about it on TripAdvisor for the past few years. I hadn't been back in a few years so this trip was special to me, considering it was my first trip to SD with my fiancee.

You get what you pay for, but at these rates, one could book a very nice hotel room in other cities. The first room they put me in smelled like smoke.

The second room was better, but smelled like mildew. We both have allergies and didn't get a very good night's sleep all three nights we were there. The room is stark (colorless).

It's painted in greys and whites, with a completely white bathroom. The bathroom was clean, but it just wasn't that comfortable.

Additionally, the pool is not heated, hence it was too cold to swim in last March. I was very disappointed since I swim laps almost daily in Charlotte. I enjoyed my stay in the newer part of the Old Town Inn better than La Avenida because the room was less mildewy (which is probably a result of La Avenida's proximity to the beautiful Coronado beach.

It was nice to be near the cafes of Coronado, as well as the Del. But the service at the Del's bar is terrible and I felt like I was treated like a number there.

And at La Avenida, the new guy at the front desk who was working there for the season didn't know a thing about San Diego.

I'd much rather stay in downtown La Jolla, or the Old Town Inn for something budgetary next time. Also, it's hard to please a local, since my apartment in town had a nice view of the ocean and was roomy, but I expect a hotel to be a little homier and less mildey than La Avenida. My fiancee was even more disappointed.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — mildew smell, stark appearance of room
  • Tips/Secrets — research more closely the hotel beforehand, don't rely just on reviews
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Charlottecouple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2006

Stayed here many times before for the following reasons:

1. Location - 50 yards from Hotel Del
2. Price - have always paid 89-119 per night
3. Extremely clean rooms
4. Big room between bathroom and bedroom - almost like walk in closet
5. Small, but clean and nice pool
6. I've always had a comfortable bed.

The paper thin walls got the best of me this time. Had to change rooms at 10:30 pm. due to crying baby next door. Moved to 1st floor room at the back, which at first seemed like the best, but discovered there was a bench across from my room which smokers used since all rooms are non-smoking - lots of traffic - too much noise. 2 rooms on the 1st floor were receiving new windows - the sawing started at 7:00 a.m. - don't know how they got away with that - I was up for work, but I assume many others weren't.

I think I was more tolerant in my younger days and more in need of a bargain - I don't think I will stay here again, but I have good memories!

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
El Cordova Hotel
Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Hotel del Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
#9 of 16 in Coronado

Been to La Avenida Inn? Share your experiences!