Glorietta Bay Inn
Hotel del Coronado(Coronado)
$389
Curio.com
  • Pool
Loews Coronado Bay Resort(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$209
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of $281/night.

El Cordova Hotel(Coronado)(Great Value!)
$529
$450
Official Hotel
$319
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $400/night.

$194
  • Breakfast included
La Avenida Inn(Coronado)
TripAdvisor
1,009 results
All reviewsmansion roomsacross the streetcontinental breakfastmusic roomsunset roomginger snapshotel del coronadoold mansionyogurtcookies and milkhard boiled eggswithin walking distancecoronado islandgarden suitesan diegoone bedroom suitestandard room
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This place is Great. My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Glorietta Bay Inn in Coronado and are checking out today. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. When I made the reservation, I informed the hotel it was our anniversary and reserved a junior suite.

The junior suite that we received was huge, extremely well appointed with 2 bathrooms, a separate bedroom with a very comfortable king size bed, 2 televisions (a 40 inch flat screen television in the living area and a 32 inch flat screen in the bedroom), pull out sofa, a kitchenette with a sitting area with a table and three chairs, and a balcony. The bed, as well as the pillows, was fantastic and very comfortable. When we arrived in our room, there was a very nice welcome card signed by the inn’s staff and a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us.

Both my wife and I totally enjoyed our stay here. All the staff was extremely polite, friendly, and very helpful. The location is great being right on Orange Avenue directly across the street from the Hotel Del Coronado and the beautiful long beach. There are many shops, restaurants, and stores on Orange Avenue within a very short walking distance. Our favorite restaurant is the Brigantine Seafood Restaurant and it is only about a 2 minute walk away. We went there for happy hour one night and dinner another. The food was delicious both times.

Our thanks to the staff at the Glorietta Bay Inn. You truly made our anniversary very special and unforgettable. We will definitely be coming back soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
GloriettaBay, Public Relations Manager at Glorietta Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear that you found your junior suite comfortable and spacious. We're happy to hear we could make you and your wife's 25th wedding anniversary memorable. We hope that the next time you’re in the Coronado area you’ll stay with us again! Thank you, Kelsey McCabe

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I came to San Diego for a conference at the Hotel Del Coronado. I decided to save quite a bit of money by staying across the street at the Glorietta Bay Inn. I think I chose wisely. Though you do need to cross a busy street to get to "The Del," it literally is across the street. Though undoubtedly in a different category, GBI is nothing to sneeze at in terms of class. Besides convenience, what really distinguishes GBI is the quality of the staff, who are uniformly personable and helpful. Here are a few pro's and con's:

Pros - Continental breakfast. Free. Considering the tourist prices for food on Coronado, I certainly appreciated getting a break on one meal a day. They have a full range of cereals (I had granola every day... yum), pastries and breakfast breads, hard-boiled eggs, and they (at least on the weekend) have an automatic pancake maker. Now, the automatic pancakes I tried were not particularly good, but I had never experienced this before, so it was worth trying to say that I had! There is some subtle variety introduced from day to day, so this did not get boring (though I am easy to please food-wise). Breakfast opens at 7 AM, though sometimes it was ready a few minutes early (shh...)

- Even outside of breakfast hours, you can always find complementary coffee, water, and fruit. I heard that they put out snacks in the afternoon, but I was always busy at those times.

- Pool. I did not partake. I was traveling alone, but as a parent, I know how important this is that the establishment has one. Not a lap pool, but it looks like kids would enjoy it. They have towels at the front desk. It has lighting, so it is open into the early evening.

- Staff. I had many good experiences here. They helped me set up travel to the San Diego Zoo and back to the airport. Both trips were a flat rate of $25 (for me... not sure if the cost is higher to bring more people). Compare that to the $45 I was quoted from a cab company to ride to the Zoo. The company whom GBI recommends (Flex) is prompt, professional, pleasant, and reasonably priced. Go with Flex.

- Free WiFi. It works great. Nuff said.

- For runners/bikers: I didn't get a response from management when asked in advance via e-mail about where to run (I'm training for a marathon), but I discovered the GBI has great access to the Silver Strand Bikepath. Go one block down the hill, wait for the Walk light, carefully cross the busy intersection, and you are there. It is apparently part of a much larger bike trail, though the longest I went out was 5 miles and back (and it looked to continue for the foreseeable future). It is divided by a dashed yellow line, which you should respect, because there are plenty of fast moving bikes on the path. I will very much miss running this, with views of the ocean on one side and the bay on the other. For those who enjoy this so much that they run more than they planned, GBI has 2 sets of coin-op laundry machines (4 quarters per wash, 4 quarters per dry load), and they have change at the front desk.

Cons:

- No restaurant on site. No big deal. There are dozens of places to eat within walking distance (many of which are down Orange Ave - turn right when you leave the GBI lobby). I enjoyed (in order of distance): Vigilucci's (authentic Italian), McP's (Irish pub), and had a couple of quick and good meals at Panera Bread. There are also plenty of places to eat at "The Del".

- Snug room. I chose to stay in a "snug room," which is in an area slightly peripheral to the "mansion". Think dorm room. I've had at least one dorm room in my life that was smaller, but what did bother me a bit was the noise from the street. Closing the windows and the bathroom door helps, and I did manage to sleep fine, but light sleepers beware. This room choice is less expensive, and is probably ideal for someone in my situation (i.e. traveling alone... or maybe a couple who do not want to be far). You have all the amenities: TV, DVD player, bathroom, sink, etc.; except for a table or chair (not sure where this would go). The practical matter there is that this complicates eating in or doing work in your room.

That's about it. I do recommend this hotel/inn. Families and anyone expecting luxury: stay in the mansion.

Room Tip: Avoid snug room if travelling with others. Rating for restaurant is for the breakfast; there is no fitness center, but there are fitness opportunities closeby.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for the writing about your stay with us. We are happy to hear you liked the variety at breakfast, our friendly staff, and our convenient location to the bike trail and restaurants. You are right in that the Snug Room is ideal for business travelers traveling alone for a few days. The music room and outdoor verandah is open to all guests 24 hours a day to sit a relax. We hope that the next time your travels bring you to our area you’ll stay with us again. Thank you, Kelsey McCabe

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Once you drive over the bridge you know you've entered fantasy island for the length of your stay, so arriving at this Hotel (picked by locals) was the right choice. Across from the Del (which is on the beach), this smaller boutique hotel wins in size and charm when you walk into its Old World, 'era gone by', lobby. Then you realize you are in So CA because you might not find parking....regardless the location is prime; walking distance to restaurants, beach, hair salons, rental bikes and nestled in a beautiful residential area, I would definitely stay there should we come back. The breakfast area continues the delicate lobby theme, in that it reminds you of a european country estate, with large piano and all. The lovely terrace outside to enjoy generous breakfast is the finishing touch; overlooking the pool and the water.
Now I must warn you, once you leave the Lobby, you transition into what seems to have been the 'purchase of the next door condo's to expand the property', with outdoor carpet to walk on. Freshly painted white, you wander around open hallways into your room. Small is the best description, on how we maneuvered around our tight quarters. The room had a CD player (which operated on a time delay), but the atmosphere was killed by the energy efficient lights, which make you look like a martian when you look in the mirror. Not good either was the water pressure, very low (maybe we can thank the coastal commission for that one, or maybe they are just saving on their water bill... regardless with sufficient water, we might take shorter showers). Also,the trendy heavy glass shower doors were hard to open and close...unless you choose to walk out over the toilet..., despite all this, the good wins over bad, and all very well scented with their upscale soap/ shampoo/ lotion brand. The bed was extremely small as well, and we had a loud group next door, but not too late. Coronado has a lot to offer, so you wouldn't spend too much time in your room anyway...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
GloriettaBay, Public Relations Manager at Glorietta Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We’re happy to hear that you loved the old world charm of the mansion and the walkable location. We also wanted to thank you for your feedback of your hotel room experience regarding the lighting and water pressure. I would love to look into the situation in more detail, could you email me directly so I can address the issue? I can be reached at kelsey@gloriettabayinn.com Thank you!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Beautiful rooms and really good breakfast. Close to beach and shopping area. Historical Hotel Del Coronado just one block away. Staff very friendly and eager to help. Parking was not the greatest. We would stay here again and will recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marian S

Thank you so much for the writing about your stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our location and friendly staff. I apologize if it was difficult to find a parking spot during your stay. Our staff is always here to assist in finding a parking spot 24 hours a day when the lot get tight. We appreciate your friend referrals and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thank you, Kelsey McCabe

Reviewed October 23, 2013

- Fantastic location across from the Del
- incredibly pleasant staff
- beautiful interior lobby
- very nice grounds and landscaping
- decent continental breakfast

The problem is the rooms. They are VERY small (I have no idea on mansion rooms, I am talking about the annex rooms) and nothing nicer than you would see in a Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn. I reserved a balcony room and was initially placed in a room slightly larger than a walk-inn closet. When I complained they moved me to a room with a "balcony" which in reality was a patio overlooking a busy road. The sidewalk was literally 5 feet from the sliding door the went into my room and I got to say "hi" to everyone when they walked by. Lousy

The bathroom was clean and I could tell was recently updated (unlike the rest of the room).

I was only there for a short stay but I would NOT go back if I was to stay in one of those rooms vs one of the nicer, larger mansion rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sullydad
GloriettaBay, Guest Relations Manager at Glorietta Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

It was a pleasure speaking with you on the phone this afternoon. Again, we are so sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. We really appreciated the feedback regarding your stay in your room. We are currently in the process of updating the room with new furniture, and you are correct as we recently renovated the bathrooms. I hope that the next time you’re in the Coronado area you’ll stay with us again. Please contact me at kelsey@gloriettabayinn.com so I can personally set up your next stay. Thank you, Kelsey McCabe