“Beautiful Location, Excellent Service”
Review of Glorietta Bay Inn

Glorietta Bay Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Boston
“Beautiful Location, Excellent Service”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in October with another couple that visits the hotel often. We were astounded by the amazing service and location. If you are looking for the Coronado Island experience in a beautiful setting that's more personal and budget conscious than the Del Coronado, than this is absolutely for you.

The hotel is located directly across the street from the Hotel Del Coronado with beautiful marina views. It is a five minute walk to the beach and five minute walk to the shops and restaurants on Orange Avenue. The hotel's main building is a beautiful historic mansion with lots of charm.

Hotel staff are friendly, super attentive, and exceptionally welcoming. The hotel obviously prides itself on return service which was evident when they greeted our travel companions with a warm "welcome back". The front desk's concierge service is excellent. The concierge made all our dinner reservations complete with thank you gifts like VIP seating and free dessert as return guests of the Glorietta. The included breakfast on the veranda was a great way to start the day and included waffles, hardboiled eggs, cereals, bagels, muffins, juice, and coffee. The swimming pool was warm and a great place to relax.

We stayed in one of the more budget conscious standard rooms rather than in the mansion. The room was very small with a wall mounted air conditioner, however it was very clean with a comfortable bed, nice linens, large flat screen TV, and stereo. If you are looking for a large and luxurious room, you may be better off staying in the mansion. If you are looking for the Coronado experience at a more affordable price, than you will likely be more than satisfied with the standard room. Parking was $10 per night.

Highly recommended as a great way to the get the Coronado experience! We will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Hebrew first
Miami, Fl
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This mansion is in a great spot, right in the heart of it. It's convenient location across the street from the del is nice. Our room (104) needs updating, the bathroom needs a facelift yesterday. the room is way too small. The little balcony this room has feels like you are on the rooftop of a building, not a balcony(it's awkward).
The staff is phenomenal, the service is a++. We went as a 2 day stay for our anniversary and when we arrived they had a comPlimentary nice bottle of red wine with glasses for us to enjoy. The continental breakfast has plenty of choices for a continental breakfast. In the afternoon they have wine and appetizers in the main lobby for guests and at turn down they do a nice job too. Overall, i would return but I would stay in a larger room. Hopefully, they update the building soon.

• Stayed October 2011
Coronado, California
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I'm a repeat guest at the GBI. Most of my experiences have been fine. This time has been different.

I booked online enticed by a special. Well the special isn't that special.

I must have the noisiest room in the place. It fronts Orange Avenue and the traffic noise is so bad that I couldn't sleep much. I have to keep my drapes closed to dull the noise which makes the room very dark.

The shower is microscopic and I'm glad I am short and of normal weight. If I was tall or of a larger size it would have been uncomfortable. The bathroom could use a renovation for sure.

This hotel has some pros. It has an excellent general location in town. The main part of the Inn is housed in an historic home and is lovely. The grounds are lovely.

Unfortunately there are a number of down sides. The rooms in the 'new' additions are now dated and not well appointed. I was extremely unimpressed with being put in an inferior room when the hotel is obviously not full. The refreshments in the afternoon should vary day to day and include more than stale ginger snaps which not everyone likes.

Also - if you want to take a bath, make sure you inquire about a room with a tub. The three times I've stayed here, I've only had rooms with showers.

If I was paying about half of what I am paying I wouldn't be complaining as much, but the special turned out to be not much of one. Next I'll stay at the Hotel Del or the Marriott.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank NadoNut12
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed October 14, 2011

This beautiful resort across from the world famous Hotel Del is a gem among the hotels on the island. You can walk everywhere, the beach is truly only 5 minutes away from the Inn. The food is excellent, the hotel rooms were very spacious, and best of all you are int eh center of it all. It's a very safe community with lots of things to do. We traveled with three teenage daughters and had a very memorable and relaxing time. There are plenty of reasonably priced restaurants within a ten minute walk and the locals are very friendly. It's a great place to explore!

Room Tip: Since we stayed in the Inn with three teenage daughters, we opted for the two bedroom suite which ha...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Gabriella, at what should only be called the front parlour, welcomed me home for an enchanted evening. My last minute, walk in reservation was handled gracefully & with immaculate customer service. Finally a check in that left me feeling like hospitality is still alive in the hospitality industry.

The property is absolutely gorgeous~ well manicured natural landscaping, a warm inviting lobby, small but lovely pool area, and my guest room was a dream. Wonderful room layout with the washroom far off from my ultra comfy king size bed. A balcony overlooked the pool area, the marina less than a glance away, sunset & full moon rising right outside our window. If I sound romantic its because this property has that effect. You can not help but sink into the energy of old Coronado.

Wine & cheese was being served when I checked in. Gabriella reminded me that it would be ending soon, and suggested I enjoy a moment before going to my guest room. She also informed me of breakfast hours, offered assistance with my bags, and made herself available to answer any questions.

Breakfast options were~ various muffins, fresh fruits, cereals, coffee, teas & juices. A lovely ballroom or patio just off the lobby had plenty of seating. Every staff member smiled, said good morning and were pleasantly attentive to detail.

Overall, my BEST experience, exceeding my expectations from look of the property to every member on the Glorietta Bay Inn team. Thank you for welcoming into your home for the evening, can I move in now?

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank EmeraldBird
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Booked this hotel at the advice of friends who stayed that the inn but recommended we stay in one of the mansion rooms and we're glad we upgraded to those accommodations. While the rest of the hotel looked pleasant enough, the elegance of the mansion added to the relaxation we were hoping to get during the 4 days we were guests. The Sunset room itself was on the smaller side, but adequate for our needs, and the terrace provided an ideal location for breakfast (which was served punctually as per our requested time the evening before) as well as for reading and lounging on the swing. The views, quite limited of the beach and offering much of the roof, were less than optimal but still pleasant enough to spend time outdoors with some degree of privacy. We loved the library and the patio; the pool, like the terrace, was adequate for our needs. Evening turn-down was a nice touch, housekeeping efficient and courteous as was the front desk staff. Excellent location - easy walk to the beach and town.

Room Tip: Sunset room overlooks the front of the hotel, as a result may be a bit noisier as guests tend to con...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sueRN
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Very disappointed with the room allocated on arrival, noisy air conditioner unit which we were not able to have on and hear ourselves speak made for an uncomfortable night – had the feel of a motel room, whilst clean in need of updating! Creative licence used with the photography of the rooms, the mansion rooms looked great but the 100 plus other rooms lack ‘style’, the pool area was much smaller than pictured (pool capacity of 22 – if 22 entered the pool it would be standing room only) – that said we were upgraded without fuss to a deluxe with balcony. The majority of staff were helpful & friendly, the complementary breakfast sets the Inn apart from others on the Island.

Room Tip: book deluxe with balcony
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hazel S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 16 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,014 reviews

Been to Glorietta Bay Inn? Share your experiences!