“Great early bird special”
Review of Chez Loma

Chez Loma
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Loma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 103 Restaurants in Coronado
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Orange
Description: Our new San Diego home is located in the Carez Hizar House (circa 1889), a Coronado historical landmark on Loma Avenue almost at the corner of Orange Avenue. We are within walking distance to beautiful downtown Coronado, the Hotel Del Coronado, and the beach. A French inspired bistro where people feel comfortable and enjoy fresh rustic fare at reasonable prices. Sourcing locally to achieve maximum freshness and offering our customers what they want instead of following culinary trends. If your desire is a casual tapa at the bar or a dinner with friends or colleges, Chez Loma under new management, offers an inviting space to relax, enjoy and socialize.
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is my favorite restaurant in Coronado, because of the wonderful early bird, three course pre fix meal. The food is fabulousness. I always order the duck, it has a sauce that is made with cherries, and for dessert you will love the ginger bread with caramel sauce, it is so moist and rich, like no other ginger bread I have ever had. The price is very reasonable, I think it's 25 dollars for the three course meal. Call to be sure on the price and the hours for the early bird. The decor is Victorian and very romantic. The restaurant is in and old Victorian house. The cuisine is French. We go there any time we are inCoronado.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed two days in San Diego, more specifically Coronado, andwandered through the streets for a nice and tasty restaurant. We are Belgians and like a good balanced dinner with nice wines.

Chez Loma catched our interest following its nice setting and menu choices, notwithstanding its location (street crosses Orange Avenue). We continued our restaurant research, but finally returned to Chez Loma as they offered dishes with non fried fish and a lovely atmosphere.

We were suprised by the quality of food and its presentation. Having traveled two weeks in the west coast of the USA have not seen this so often. I tasted the shrimp risotto and my wife shouter with mashed potatoesn and coliflower. Both dishes were very tasty, perhaps not as much quantity as you would expect in the USA, but more than compensated by its quality!

Hey, we had room for desert: a creme brule and a sabayon. I was not really convinced regarding the sabayon, and asked the waitress to speak the chef. The chef came after a while with a new sabayon which was very tasty and apologized for the first try (maybe an assistant which was not up to speed?). I verybmuch appreciated this action, and we had a conversation with the chef about eating and cooking.

Anyway, we had a very good dinner, met some nice people (who claimed to come back to the place the dayvafter), a good service and an excellent price/quality food ratio.

I understood the place has been taken over and is only open for a couple of months: nice job, looking forward to see more of such restaurants in the USA!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Apparently this place is under new management from the last time I went. I hadn't been back because of a bad experience previously. I had high hopes based on reviews I'd read.

It's a converted old house with warped floors, so everything is tilted and a little cramped but no big deal. Our waitress was very nice and provided decent service. My main and only really serious complaint, which is a killer for me, was the length of time we had to wait for our food. Our appetizer/salad took a full 30 minutes to come out. Then, our main course took 25 minutes after the appetizer. So, close to an hour to get our meal which is WAY WAY too long for a good restaurant and firmly eliminates this place on my list for future visits.

The waitress offered no apology whatsoever for any of this, and I noticed everyone else sitting there waiting long periods of time so my impression is that this is just the way this place is. And, it wasn't crowded so I can imagine its get worse, which I can't imagine. Years ago I complained about slow service at a different restaurant and I was told "that's dining" and I guess some people and establishments just feel that dinner should be served that way but not me.

The menu was extremely limited so bear that in mind if you decide to go. For example, there's only one salad available (spinach with no other vegetables in it, just nuts) so if you like a traditional salad you're out of luck. Portions are very small but ours were tasty.

Entrees are $25-30 and wine is $10 per glass, pretty average. I won't be going back due to the slow service, the limited menu, and the prices for very small servings. The value just isn't there.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were seated in the bar and just could not get service. We left. The menu looked good and we had eaten there before. This time the service was either vacant or rude. It's not a good thing to be treated poorly when you are trying to pay for a service.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Chez Loma Restaurant reopened in late August 2012 under new ownership. The new chef and owners closed the historic building for several months for a complete overhaul. The late 19th century bungalow now includes state of the art lighting and has a more open feeling. Caution: the menus, prices and reviews you will find online concerning Chez Loma are from the previous incarnation. For instance, there is no longer an early dining menu. The current menu is still heavy on classic French dishes, but does not include some of the favorites that previous diners raved about. Prices are competitive for upscale restaurants, but may be above those for similar eateries in the neighborhood.

Been to Chez Loma? Share your experiences!